1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HDD Quandary

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloodburgers, 16 Aug 2012.

1. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Hi there peeps.

My trusty old 500GB SAMSUNG HD501LJ has started showing signs of giving up the ghost.

I can't blame it really it has served me well in the many years i have had it.

I have decided i am going to get myself a SSD but i am also going to require a larger HDD for main storage.

I currently have 50gb of space remaining but only 15% of my steam purchases installed so a TB would be the minimum.

I have see these two hdd's and would like your input as to which is better value for money bearing in mind the route i wish to go down.

Seagate 2TB Barracuda

or

WD 1TB Black

These are both around my ideal budget esp with a SSD purchase around the corner.

As always thanks for your input in advance

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

It's a no brainer for me, 2TB is £6 cheaper than the 1TB. Win.

3. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I've always been a WD guy myself, but as above the 2TB one would be the most logical choice.

4. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Thats what i had assumed.

My concerne was the large amount of noise being made about the seagates being doa or failing quickly.

The WD carries a 5 year warranty on it and in some instances this can be worth its weight in gold.

As i said in my op i have a 500GB SAMSUNG HD501LJ which is approaching 8 yrs old :D and I don't really plan on replacing the next HDD any time soon.

If the risk is minimal on the seagate i may go down that route if the speed is negligible.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Western Digital drive:
    -> Longer warranty
    -> Quieter (very quiet for an HDD)
    -> Faster
    -> Based on my personal experience: more reliable.

It comes down to: Capacity vs quietness and performance. Possibly reliability too.

I have the W.D Caviar Black 1TB in my system.

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Yes the WD is faster but in day to day use that difference is negligible, the same could also be said of the noise levels from my past experience, only very cheap and relatively nasty HDD's tend to be really noisy these days and when gaming it's never an issue.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Depends on what you do. For me it's a huge difference. One makes my computer feels super slow, the other makes my feel my computer much faster, and of course having an SSD like I just got recently, make me feel my system had this massive upgrade.

In gaming it doesn't give you anything. You can even go with a 5400RPM HDD, the difference is install time, and load time of the game or depending on the game your save file. Just a few seconds difference.

8. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

hmm really stuck now. I may just go with the WD. Thanks for all the input.

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

10. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

no proof of student status required??

11. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I've never used/purchased a Seagate drive (that I know of), and I've heard a lot of bad things about them. But since I've not used one myself I can't persuade you not to purchase one.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Not that I can read! Just a seasonal promotion really with the little gits going back to school/college.

13. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Nice. Now i am torn as to which ssd was going to go down the OCZ route you have messed that up now lol expect similar post for ssd decision soon lol

14. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Ah-ha. Decision made. I knew Samsung got bought out earlier but i couldn't remember who by. After a little digging i found out that it was Seagate with this in mind i am going to take a chance on the 2tb Barracuda and see how it goes. I will of course let you guys know.

15. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

So just so people know. Despite every oem drive on ebuyer being listed as oem the seagate is not.

This is an oem drive static wrapped in a jiffy bag. Fine no problem there i can handle that my last drive was an oem and served me well.

The second reason i went to ebuyer was that they had an oem version of Acronis going with any purchase of and internal hdd or SSD.

Daft thing is it is a very limited piece of software only allowing you to back up your files to an existing partition. The cloning partitions is Locked and is only available by upgrading at a cost of 47 squidly didlers.

Frustrated to say the least but hey after the week i have had i can handle anything.

So be warned anyone thinking "hmm that's good i can get the hardware and they are giving me the software for free 'bonus'"

It just not that simple!

16. eagle123

eagle123 What's a Dremel?

how is the drive compared to the older one yu have got ?

17. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I have had several 501LJs and still had one in my current machine until a week ago. It's now in a pretty Silverstone enclosure and used for backup.

I've also have had the 401LJ and several F1s and F3s. Last week, I bought a 3TB Barracuda. I've never liked Seagate, Dell used to use them and I've seen them fail in the past. An old machine of mine is still using a WD Caviar 160gb EIDE as a boot drive and it's been in almost 24hr operation for nearly 6 years!

BUT, my current machine has an M4 boot drive, the new Seagate, 1 x F1 1TB and 2 x F3 1TB. All wrapped up in Fractal R3. The Seagate is not any louder than the Samsungs (and you'd hear it in a silent machine with a passive GPU and Seasonic X series PSU). It's also been extremely responsive and subjectively seems to be just as quick as the Sammys that I've been using for years.

Also at £110 for 50% more space than a 2TB (and as you can see I get through storage!) I figured I'd go for it. Time will tell, but I'm pleased so far.

Hope that helps.

**edit**
    Just realised you already bought. Good call.