1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Combining a PC, media streamer and NAS box

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 Aug 2012.

1. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Something tells me that this might not be such a bad recommendation...

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

3. Jqim

Jqim What's a Dremel?

netflix dont work with xbmc in here in the uk otherwise i would be all over it

4. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Seconded on this.
    The remote app for XMBC is great. Better on Android than iPhone in my opinion.

Just built my HTPC and I've been blown away by XMBC.
    Didn't even consider any other version of Windows to be honest, just slammed 7 on it, then put XMBC over the top.
    Still playing with plugins to find what's the best fit for me at the moment but finding the Rooster Teeth plugin made my week :D

5. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

What bothers me a bit after trying it, is that I cant just press "play" and make it shuffle through my whole music collection. Or am I missing something?

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

AFAIK the Netflix addon for XBMC doesn't work to well for those of us in the UK - still far easier to do this in a browser :sigh:

7. faugusztin

Listen to Music, click on the folder icon (the last one), long press on the folder, queue or play ? Don't ask me how to shuffle it, i didn't use this feature (for music play i use a remote login and then i use the Rhytmbox on server).

8. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Currently running an unRAID server with ~9TB which is stashed away in a cupboard. Running SABnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, AirVideo and Minidlna.

Did have a C2D machine for streaming but has been rescrently replaced with a Raspberry Pi with plans for more Raspberry Pi's around the house for all house music and connections to multiple TV's for streaming video.

9. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

I have a tiny shuttle under my PC. I think it's called an XS35. It is fanless so very quiet. It does have downsides such as no WOL and only taking 1 laptop size drive but 500gb is all I need in a NAS at the moment as I store very few video files. I run windows XP on it and I use the Gmote app on my tablet as mouse and keyboard which still feels very cool to me. Sometimes I like to use my bluray player with its simple remote to do iplayer etc but I think they are about equal on ease of use. The computer of course does everything a PC does as well. Making video calls from the sofa on the with no keyboard etc in the way feels pretty good too!

10. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

My computer is on all the time so I just use it as a PC and Media Streamer and NAS.
    SABnzbd + Sickbeard + CouchPotato + Serviio and a DLNA enabled TV.

Sharing the media stuff allows anyone on the home group to use it too.

11. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Music Pump XBMC Remote is GREAT for controlling the music playback. It has all the features I was looking for.

12. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

I've been working on exact solution for almost year... between designing the case, buying parts, building the machine, fiddling with hardware, getting drivers straightened out, configuring my Harmony One, etc etc. it becomes quite a time consuming adventure.

If a company could combine all this well, and leave enough room for the customizability that most consumers (of this type of product) would want then I think there is a lot of money to be made.

The future of home media is in a all-in-one device that doesn't require a server room to run. First person to get it right will be well off.

13. Black Knight X1

Black Knight X1 Tech Freak

Attached to a 37" LCD TV I have an HTPC with the sound going to an integrated amp. & through 2 quality speakers & subwoofer.The HTPC case is a Zalman HD501 with medium to high end components so I can also use it as a gaming machine using an xbox controller. It also has a Samsung Blu-ray player. The O/S is W7 64bit and I also use XBMC which is far superior to Windows Media Center. The curser is controlled by a blue tooth Logitech diNovo Mini that is so compact but easy to use, I find it invaluable.
    My film collection is on a 2TB drive on a PC upstairs. The network is a mix of Ethernet cable & 500 AV Devolo homeplugs & I use a WD MyBookLIve for all the back-ups.
    When I want to watch a film I use the Depicus App on my iPod touch to power up the HTPC & the PC upstairs that has the film collection, all from within the lounge. It is streamed and watched using XBMC.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

the problem with other OSes unlike Media Center they dont handle blu-ray as well, besides with Media Center I use it as the base but then I have MediaBrowser.TV load on top of that which gives me all the customization I need and blu-ray disc playback

15. faugusztin

Seems like this BR thing is really big in USA. Because pretty much the only ones who complain about missing BR support from something are from USA.

16. JoeFez

JoeFez What's a Dremel?

The day XBMC brings a solid PVR functionality into its windows builds will be the day that your dream comes true.

Currently XBMC stands head and shoulders above anything else in the market and if you're not worried about PVR functionality, you're pretty much already set, especially with the tvcatchup, iplayer, 4OD and ITV plugins.

As there are so many builds to suit specific hardware setups, I dont think it is an issue of finding one machine to rule them all. More a case of build a machine that suits you and let XBMC pull it all together.

I've got a Antec Fusion case (with the VFD taken out to fit another HDD behind) core i3 2120, 2 x 2TB, 1 x 1TB and a 64GB SSD. HDD noise isnt such a big problem as they tend to spin down fairly quickly when not in use and as most programs run off the SSD they only start up when playing local content. Plus the computer is right by the tv so while it's on you don't really hear it.

I've also got a TBS Dual Freesat card, taking care of PVR duties under WMC7. My biggest problem is constantly swapping between WMC7 and XBMC when watching films and Live TV. There is a little plugin that lets you jump between the two programs but Ideally I'd love to get shot of WMC7 entirely. Codec support under WMC7 is awful from the get go, forget subtitles, dual audio files, exotic formats and the like, not least the UI design which leaves a huge amount to be desired. Fortunately this is where XBMC excels (especially the Aeon Nox skin).

I'm going down the Pi route for other rooms / bedrooms, but had the OUYA already been here, I probably would have given it a try, given the partnership they have already formed with XBMC (or vice versa).

I wouldn't say my setup is 100% perfect, but it's very nearly there. For me at least :)

17. Lantizia

Lantizia What's a Dremel?

When you've got XBMC playing all the content off 4OD, BBC iPlayer (except live streams), demand5, etc... as well as perhaps a vast army of DVD's ripped to disk.

The argument for a TV License (trust me, it's only needed if you watch TV channels broadcast normally or simulcast on the net).... becomes, well... a little silly.

Tags: Add Tags