1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Nice rides! It was a sad day when I said goodbye to my bugeye but she was getting old (180,000 miles) and it was time for something with a little more life left.

@Da_Rude_Baboon- Yeah we have STIs in the US. There is a very active Subaru group here in Minnesota that get together fairly often.

Here is one of our C&C meets, numbers are a bit low as it was raining most of the morning but there were still a few of us.

[​IMG]

And here is one of the weekly Tuesday meets (mine isn't in this one but gives you an idea of how many people show up on a weekly basis). I have to say Subaru owners are some of the best guys I've known, very friendly and very willing to help a fellow owner.

[​IMG]

2. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Nice line up there Roboduck :thumb:

I think the one that really did it for me was the Hawkeye Spec C or any Spec C really. I almost bought a mates Blobeye Speccy to replace the wrx but went all leftfield and got an RX8pz instead :)

3. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Nice, I was really close to buying an RX8 but with the winters here you really need something with AWD. Been loving the new WRX, having a wagon is handy as well. The 2.5L is a lot easier to drive at slow speeds than the 2.0L, lots more torque.

4. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

I must admit that a WRX Wagon is pretty high up on my list of 'real' cars I'd like to have. It's just got a balance between performance car and real life car that seems hard to beat particularly in the sort of spec you've got :)

At the risk of starting the whole internet RX8 argument I've got to say they really are great cars but because the headline figures aren't great and they've got a strange engine and you might have to check the oil a bit people sort of miss the point of them. That said I doubt it would be the ideal car for those Minnesota winters :brrr:

Mine did see a bit of snow though on one trip. No pictures but videos of some of the best driving roads I've been on :)

Very sad that mines gone but I don't miss the running costs :worried:

Not to o/t for a picture thread I hope :)

5. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Had a 275bhp 275ftlb Impreza Turbo 2000 (official UK spec one with air con) for 4 years but binned it on ice into a kerb a coupla years ago and broke the front nearside suspension and it was written off - now got a Volvo v40 1.9 turbo diesel sport lux - but how I miss hearing the turbo spool up at 1750rpm and launch me at the horizon (plus the exhaust was wrapped from header to back-box and it spat 6ft flames on the overrun when you lifted :D)

[​IMG]

Cost me many thousands in engine rebuilds but I miss that car everyday - if I could justify the running costs I'd have an impreza turbo wagon in a heartbeat.

Hit 60mph in a little over 5 seconds (timed from a video clip of the dials moving) and made the most glorious noise...............

6. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

today i am mostly driving my mothers c180 N registered with "shopping" miles on the clock.
    Its brilliant to be all retro .. no one has wanted to race me .. no one has been rude and I have not felt the urge to go fast once.. (as it just doesnt)

7. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Usually I love motorcyclists, loads of my mates drive bikes and I think they are awesome, I just hate the ones that do this to my car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I hope you kicked him in the 'nads.

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Hope he stopped?

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

****, that sucks! Hope you collared that bitch.

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I hope he owned up to it as well. If not, he should be hunted down and have his bike dropped on him.

'What's more chickenshit than ****ing with another man's automobile? Don't **** with another man's vehicle. It's against the rules' - Vincent Vega

12. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

There was no need he was reasonably injured but his daughter on the back was in a lot worse shape

well he didn't have much choice him and his daughter pretty much high sided off the bike

that's pretty harsh man! but his daughter was collard

actually they told me i was going to pay for his bike, his injuries, his work and everything else.

Here is what happened, inc amazing 2 minute Photoshop skills

[​IMG]

I was coming along the main road in Wimbledon, called the Broadway.

I slowed down in preparation to turn right into the road at the junction in the picture I wasn't traveling more than 20mph anyways as the Wimbledon one way is 20mph and there was a car in front of me which hadn't got up to speed yet after us having left the one way system, I checked my mirrors, indicated and come to a stop as there was oncoming traffic, after the oncoming traffic another quick mirror check, and started to edge out, about 2mph, hadn't even gone like 6 inches and wham, all I see is a motorbike up on a front wheel endo and 2 people careening through the air.

I'm like WTF, realise it is a bike, jump out to see what the **** just happened, they are on the floor, pretty ****ed, girl is screaming she can't breath, I'm like oh crap.

Then they start calling me names, you C*&t, etc etc, you get the idea and I am like hang on a minute, i am stationery turning right and you are overtaking me and think this is my fault ?

The women is on the floor screaming she is going to smash my face in, at this point I was starting to be a little less empathetic and think to myself, don't say it Alex, don't say it to many people around do not ask her what she plans on doing exactly from down there.

so the dad is ranting on at me "just because you indicate doesn't mean you can turn out", so i am like hold on a minute, you saw me indicating, he is like "yeah i saw you indicating but that doesn't mean you should pull out, you have to check your mirrors and you didn't", so i am like, you saw me indicating to turn right and you still overtook me ? then he starts just going on about me not checking my mirrors and i said i did check and didn't see you, on top of that my mirrors have hazard perception so when someone comes into your blind spot and is to close and you are indicating there is an audible alert in the car, which never came on, so he must of come up fast.

Lots of witnesses now around, one of whom was a off-duty traffic cop, he pulled me to one side and was just like don't talk to them, so i am like ok, but just before I walked back to my car I let the dad know it was illegal to overtake a vehicle at a junction.

Then I notice another motorcycle pulled up and I thought balls, they were riding together in unison, this guy is gonna say it is all my fault, the guy on the motorcycle comes up to me and says. " I was directly behind them, I saw you indicate, stop wait to turn and proceed, they were idiots to overtake and if you need a witness here are my details" so I was like thank god. This guy was a clued up rider, I could tell, it was a warm day, he was wearing full leathers and driving a decent bike, turns out he works at a motorcycle store, so he must of really thought they were in the wrong to be on the drivers side.

The bike that hit me, she was wearing an unzipped normal leather jacket, helmet, jeans and trainers and the dad was wearing a leather jacket, helmet also jeans and trainers. Not really any protective gear at all.

From what I can tell, I felt no real impact on the car at all, there is the damage to the wing where the clutch obviously dug in and chunk out the alloy from what must of been his forks or discs, but I think the thing that really threw them off was he weighed the anchors on so hard the bike just flipped up, since he didn't actually collide directly into my vehicle, more like a side swipe.

Anyways, police came, ambulance etc, lots of people watching, took some pics, did the interview, breath test etc, she was a real mess, must of broke some bones, they had her in a collar, stretcher etc, dad didn't look to bad. My gf lives in the building just there so she came out when I was in the police car and went up to them to ask if they were ok, obviously my gf didn't know what had happened.

The girls started telling her to F off calling her a C*&t etc and then the dad is like saying the same thing about him seeing me indicate but i didn't look in my mirrors, so my gf is like what, you overtook him when you saw him indicating, then the paramedics just asked my gf to leave them alone.

So all rather annoying really, I am lucky that motorbike from behind saw it all perfectly.

I am always careful of motorcyclists, my business partner rides a bike and so do most of my mates. Also a friend of mine was killed no a bike and another hospitalized for 3 months, although the hospitalized friend was completely his fault, he tried to take a roundabout at about 90mph and couldn't turn in and crashed straight into the chevrons, but that's another story, the friend that died was hit by a police car.

I am also a massive petrol head and love motorbikes so am always wary and give way, because at the end of the day, I've seen what can happen if you don't watch out for them.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2012
  13. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Guy is an utter moron, maybe a new bike rider given how stupid it is to overtake whilst someone is initiating a turn. As much as I hope his daughter is ok as she is innocent here, he can get tae &*%$

14. Krikkit

I meant it in the got-caught sense, not actually ended up in a collar! Jesus H that sounds messy... I'm not a god of traffic regs, but surely that's 100% the biker's fault? Maybe, if you were completely paranoid, you might've been able to see them by sticking your head out the window before you turned, but I would've been in exactly the same boat as you!

In the end though, the best part is that no-one was too seriously hurt. The mouthy lass might have a couple of broken bones, but they're alive. Riding as retardedly as that, without even having proper gear, I'd say they're lucky!

15. Pookeyhead

Ahh.. that's different then. I thought it was the usual squeezing through in queues of traffic.

Actually.. just re-read your post... seems he's still a cock after all, but I feel sorry for the girl, even if she was a mouthy bitch, as pillion passengers always get a rough deal in a crash.

I had EXACTLY the same accident many years ago! Insurance ruled on partial responsibility from me as I didn't take "effective observation" so be warned. The fact that he was speeding, on the wrong side of the road, and overtaking a vehicle positioned, and signalling to turn right made no difference.

The highway code is clear on this though. You can not overtake at a marked road junction where the centre lines are a hazard line (long lines, small spaces), and you can not overtake a car positioned/signalling to turn right. Insurance companies are cocks as well though.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2012
  16. Pookeyhead

[​IMG]

C&L CIA & 95mm MAF housing fitted. 98 octane tune uploaded.

Raining!

I had a brief play last night, but was hoping to play some more today. :(

Evo magazine reckon they got another 40bhp with the same CAI, MAF housing and tune, but I'm sceptical. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another 25 at the flywheel though, so that would be over 330bhp if the last dyno run was accurate... which I can't imagine why it wouldn't be - new Dyno Dynamics system etc.

17. Krikkit

Mmm... Very nice! Vulgar question, but how much did the mapper set you back?

I bet the noise is even better now.

18. Pookeyhead

The whole order (X3 tuner, custom tunes and full C&L induction kit was $690 with shipping from Brenspeed. The X3 alone from them is $379.

19. Krikkit

Nice! Sounds like a distinct bargain, considering a live remap is easily £400 these days.

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Re: That bike accident:
    That sucks, dude. Really sucks.
    Our higway code clearly states two factors here:
    1) You may not overtake on the left, unless the vehicle you're overtaking has clearly indicated their intention of turning right, and you may NOT overtake on the right then. (we drive on the same sidfe of the road as in the UK, BTW)

2) Regarding checking more: You (as a driver) may not have any body part of yourself or a passenger protruding from the vehicle.

As such, it could be argued that between your blind spot warning indicators, your coming to a complete stop and checking your mirrors, your due dilligence was done.
    Insurance might rule partial though... similar things happened to a mate of mine...
    I really hope that it all works out smoothly, though.

O/T:
    I got a chance to test drive the Toyota 86 on Friday afternoon.
    Now note: the road I got to drive was NOT the right piece of road. Straight, multi-lane freeway, followed by very slow city driving.
    Impressions:
    Right off the bat: This is NOT a car for people that don't like driving for the sake of driving. Everything feed back to you, the steering is one of the most accurate I have ever felt, and in two corners I got a glimpse of what this car is all about: you NEVER adjust your steering at sensible speeds. Corner->turn in-> get out... not even a little adjustment mid corner necessary.
    On top of that, there's hardly any body roll or dive under braking.
    The brakes are VERY nice, the pedals are suprisingly soft, but super accurate.
    at 6'4", the seating position is near-perfect, visibility is good all around, and the ride is surprisingly soft for a car like this. I'd say less "crashy" than my bravo at low speeds, and about the same at highway speeds. That is on 16" wheels though, which I believe isn't an option on the Euro spec models.
    The gearshift (manual model here... I am going to pretend there is no Automatic) is slightly notchy, but SHORT, and aided by a super progressive clutch. That's a good thing, because you'll be using it... a LOT. Part of that is because the car is so playful, and part of that is that the engine is slightly flat in the midrange. It pulls well enough in town (i.e. below 3000RPM), and at those engine speeds, it feels like a sporty-sitting normal car. Soft spoken, polite - but there's a hint. You see the wheel arches coming up, see the wide flanks in your side mirrors, and realise you're not doing the car justice.
    Gear down and plant your foot, and the one weakness emerges: The engine sounds a bit rubbish... and is quite noisy inside. The big question here is whether the TRD hig response mufflers will make that sound noticably better.
    There's also a flatspot in the engine's power around 3000RPM. It still pulls plenty well, but then you get to 4000RPM, then 5, 6 and 7... and THAT is where the fun lies.
    As a consequence, I would be likeluy to drive it quite "noisily"... 4000rpm in the city, stuck behind someone, only to have that burst of fun when I get a chance to pass.

Other than that, It's got the ususal sportscar issues:
    Largeish turning radius, low seating position (meaning it has wide doors, meaning that you need plenty of parking space), wide hips, no rear seats to mention (forget about putting anyone older than 6 in there, kinda thing... they have legs after that), and a boot barely big enough to hold 2 duffel bags (if they can be squished a bit).

Pictures DON'T do it justice, though, and the negotiations with the other half have started about me wanting to buy one, and her POSSIBLY buying my Fiat (that way we don't loose the practicality or charm of that, while her company gets a tax break)... we agreed NOT to buy one this year, but both of us want one, and we agreed to seriously consider it around February next year....