1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project LilyPC by E.E.L. Ambiense - Abandoned!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 12 Aug 2012.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Log Update - 8/17

Update again!

Let's get to it, shall we?

Continuing chassis modification, I needed to remove the cross-bracing on the stock intake fan spot on the frame. It's great for structural rigidity, but it's just not necessary in the long run. Let's remove it. Plus, it'll make it look more aesthetically pleasing.

[​IMG]

It's a simple method of rotary-tooling the four areas where you want to remove it. As if I needed to explain that, right? :hehe:

[​IMG]

One of the few things I actual use from the Dremel® brand; Ez-lock. Love them. Love them!

[​IMG]

I'm not too worried about the quality of the cuts, as it'll be covered over anyways, but that's no excuse for doing a poopy job.

[​IMG]

After hitting the four areas, some quick flat-file sanding and I'll call it done.

[​IMG]

Now, let's work on the fillport area. Almost forgot about that one! More high-tech method; a pencil! :hehe: Measure out so it's centered and exactly where I want it relative to where the top is and the res itself.

[​IMG]

Bulls-eye!

[​IMG]

Quick holesaw drilling and clean up with a file, and it's perfectly fine. Let's drop in the fillport itself and see how it looks...

[​IMG]

I also need to drill out the mount-points for the top fan grill/dressing too. Almost forgot those as well!

[​IMG]

There we go! Nice n' easy.

[​IMG]

And a quick lil' mock layout of the customized top...

[​IMG]

Should look great once it's all wrapped up. Ultimately it's up to the lil' lady on whether it's cool or not. :hehe:

I'll be back soon and with more to show. Can't drag me feet on this one! Toodles!

[​IMG]

2. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

I like it. High-quality work as always. :)

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

Log Update - 8/18

Update again again!

Let's get to it. Gotta roll through this thing!

Alright, let's start some restoration work on an old friend; the PA 120.1 rad. She really needs a facelift from sitting in a box probably 4-5 years now, so she has some layers of patina going on inside and paint peeling on outside. Let's fix that.

First off, need to strip some of the crap off her, including the foam fan-gasket (or what's left of it). I usually use some really good lacquer thinner, but since I'm currently out of it I'm going to use some turpentine. Family full of artists, there are always supplies of some kind around!

Either/or, use a bloody mask, ok? And gloves too. This crap will liquify your bloody liver and turn you into a pile of mush before you even hit the ground from fumes!

[​IMG]

Alright, the patient is ready to go...

[​IMG]

Let's mouse-sander some of the stuff off first...

[​IMG]

Alright, the bulk of the crap is gone, so let's dab some turp onto a rag and start rubbing the rad.

[​IMG]

A few minutes later, things are pretty good now.

Time to mask off the core of the rad with some thermal-resistant tape. I can't tell you how many times I've seen painted rads (or worse, powder coated), and the user failed to mask off the core of the rad itself. Why?!

[​IMG]

You realize anything on those fins reduces the cooling capacity right out the gate, right? Think of it as being extremely hot (such as the current weather in FL) and wearing a sweater and a jacket over that. That's what you're doing to the rad. Hell, if I had my way I'd have a fresh rad off the line before it was painted at all. Anyways, the core won't be seen anyway since this will be a push/pull. But still. FYI!

First pass done! She looks a lot better than she did. I went ahead and gave her a "bath" and vinegar-rinsed her out a couple times. Yeck... It took two passes but it finally ran completely clear before the distilled rinse. I'll probably do it again once she's all aesthetically finished up just to make sure. Plus I need to do a leak-test to make sure all her solder points are still intact; extreme heat is not good for PC rads, even if she was coated in special low-temp stuff.

[​IMG]

Let's finish up on the rest of the "hard mods" on the case; the window. Alrighty.

I don't really need to mask off since I'm taking everything down to the bare metal on this case, but I'll do it anyways. Let's put it this way; it's the proper procedure for a modder that relies on a good job being done to get some food on the table.

[​IMG]

Again, mark out where everything goes. This design's a little more tricky, since it's multiple layers that include opaque and transparent, so the cuts need to be pretty exact or it will ruin the look once everything's all bolted together. But this is the stuff I thrive on!

[​IMG]

After drilling all the mounting holes themselves, I'm drilling out some pilot contoured corners for jigsaw work...

[​IMG]

Simple scrolling jigsaw work now. Nice and slow wins the race.

[​IMG]

There we go! Good enough. Just need to clean up with rotary tool and a flat-file, and I can do a test bolt-on assembly to see how it looks....

[​IMG]

...and it looks like it worked just fine.

[​IMG]

Panel installed back on case, and it looks right to me. I think she'll like this. Or at least I hope so. :worried:

[​IMG]

Alright, I'll be back soon! Thanks for tuning in. Later!

[​IMG]

4. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

Beautiful work! Subscribed!

5. Splits

Splits What's a Dremel?

I know a guy whose alias is Lily and I think he might be interested in this... XD

Really nice work so far, looking forward to see it develop!

6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Great design, great work, great photos, great worklog... It's EEL!

7. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Get back from vacation and this little gem of a log is waiting, love the looks allready!

8. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

well i took a cup of coffee, handful of anti-hangover pills and turn on PC only to read fresh eel's update - and now my day ruined :\

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

More high quality & fun logging from E.E.L. Ambiense. :D:dremel::rock::clap:

Listened to the podcast last night, good stuff. :D

10. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

EEL must be busy....hehe

Awesome! and Our search for the Warmer Slave Rep who cares to help EEL, continues...

11. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

She HAS to love you when she get's this mod! :lol:

Looks really good man, my guess is she'll be over the moon getting a pc like this! :thumb:

I had my own little rendevouz with MSI 4-5 years ago... I support you to my dying breath! :)

12. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

wow the design of the panels is really cool, subbed :)

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sweet. Windows mean you will be dressing up the insides too.

14. Cigano

Cigano \O/

It's getting pretty much your project, I admire this case from Lian-Li.
    I'll follow your project!

Hugs!

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, man!

LOL, thanks man. I'm trying to get this thing done soon!

Thanks, bro!

Hahah, thanks man. Glad to give ya something to laugh at! :hehe:

LOL! Thanks, man!

Thank you, man!

LOL, don't listen to that crap; it'll rot your brain! :hehe:

*click - - whirring noise* .....E.E.L.'s not here right now; if you leave your name, number and a brief message he'll reply to your post as soon as possible. Thank you, and have a very nice day. BEEEEEEEEEEEP! *click*

LOL, funny you mention that... what did you do to them, bro? LOL, the emails are hilarious.

Hahaha, hey if she doesn't, I'll use it as my main rig. :hehe: Thanks, man! Yeah, MSI's on "the list" for sure. :lol:

Thanks, man!

Thanks, bro. Oh yeah, definitely! Gotta make it princessely! Wait, is that a word? :idea: Sure!

Thanks, Gypsy (translated right?)!

Sure thing; I'm sexually-secure enough that I can take a hug from some other B-T'er and not worry about having my arse grabbed! :hehe:

16. Cheapskate

Don't make it TOO regal. The recipient might start referring to herself in the third person.
    Hell, I might do it: We are quite pleased with the construction of this project.

17. Cigano

Cigano \O/

Hi Ambiense,
    Exactly, Gypsy ... is a nickname, I'm not Gypsy! or (Cigano, in portuguese)

The embrace, has nothing to do with sexual side, it's just brotherly used as a term of respect. hehehe

Most do not worry about it, okay!

18. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Ha, our two year old already does that, she referes to her self by name when she wants something.

19. Cheapskate

:lol: "We demand a popsicle every 15 minutes."

20. Vampiel

Vampiel What's a Dremel?

Awesome work, can't wait to see the finished product.