1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Fringe - Season 5 (The final Season)

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 20 Aug 2012.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

2. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

This is sad indeed, though I always prefer it if they finish off the series properly, rather than leaving it hanging at the end of a season, and then having thier budget cut.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Fringe gone, Eureka gone, Stargate stuff long gone, Battlestar Galactica stuff lone gone, Caprica DOA, BSG: Steel & Chrome only pilot (no series)... WTF, are we left with Warehouse 13 only ? :D

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Fringe is just awful.

I managed to get through half of the first season and granted, it is properly hilarious but good god, awful!

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

:sigh: this is one of my favourite shows of all time and they're cutting it? This is sad :( As faugusztin said, all the above are gone as well as other favourites of mine like House - and Breaking Bad seems to be under threat at the moment as well :rolleyes:

Soon, there will be nothing left but tripe like "90210" "Two Broke Girls" and "TOWIE" (yeah, I'm taking the piss out of Channel 4/E4).

It's one of the most intriguing and well laid out story lines I've ever seen on TV. It may not be for everyone, but if you can appreciate the acting, humour and the interesting story, you'll see that it's actually a very good show.

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Really? I'm sorry but 'well laid out story line' is the very last thing I'd use to describe Fringe. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed Fringe to begin with but it's just gone down and down continually. They made the first series with an idea in mind 'The Pattern' and had all of these random events happening, some of which pertained to 'The Pattern', but after series one and half of series two it was never mentioned again and they went of with the dimensional stuff.

I really must agree with Zin, it's just awful. Wacky Walter is the only thing that's kept it going for so long, it should have been axed after series two.

P.S. Give Continuum a try folks. I have yet to make my mind up about it but the potential is there, they just need to be careful not to write it into a corner which is a real risk given it's storyline.

P.P.S. I miss Chuck :(

7. GreatOldOne

New stuff coming up though. Revolution looks fun, and there season 2 of Grimm to look froward to. Not to mention stuff like Being Human, Dr Who and the Beeb's adaptation of the Secret of Crickley Hall.

And then there's Alphas, which is fun - And Arrow may be ok, but I don't know much about the character - That's just the vibe I'm getting from the Sci-Fi sites I frequent.

8. GreatOldOne

9. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Shame as I actually like FRINGE. But at least they are going to have an ending.

I'm fed up of watching US shows that get cancelled out of the blue. Flash forward, Sarah Connor Chronicles and The Event, come to mind.

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Those are nowhere near "cancelled out of blue". That title belongs to the one and only Firefly.

11. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

I get that Fringe is really "to each their own" but a few points for you:

The Pattern continues through all seasons. They just stop shoving the expression "The Pattern" in you face the whole time. It's sort of like saying ok you get the idea, just keep it in mind and we wont force feed it to you each and every episode.

There are a lot of series that spoon feed you every piece of info in a very "If someone does not actually say that, in exactly those words, it don't happen" way.
    Fringe does not do this at all. Example: The Pattern is actually explained in full in season 2. You just have to think a bit :thumb:.

PS: The "dimensional stuff" is actually
    the culmination what the Pattern is.

PPS: I'm a serious Uber Fan boy when it comes to Fringe - so if you lot want some more explanations, feel free to ask. (would probably also account for my defensive response :p)

12. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Oh don't get me wrong I did, and still do, enjoy Fringe it's just that to me it's obvious that they did one series with a basic idea but had no clue of how to proceed with it. The way stuff is linked to the pattern and the like is just a little too tenuous. Maybe I'm not reading enough into things and that's the problem, who knows. :D

I might watch through again and try to deliberately put things together and see if it appears more cohesive.

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Personally, a part of me just doesn't want to stop seeing Anna Torv on TV. Doesn't make me a bad person, does it? :p

14. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Have a Notepad and several different colored pens on hand when you do. Also red string and lots of tape. :worried: :p

No, you're just like the rest of us. Problem is though that she will always be Olivia Dunham to me, no matter what she does after Fringe :p

15. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons of fringe, unfortunately i missed a few epsiode and have only really caught a few between seaons 3-4, its a shame to see it go, so many good series have ended.

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

AFAIK, the reason so many US shows get cancelled is because the networks rely on an outdated, manual system to measure viewer watching habits that only record the habits of a tiny, tiny proportion of the population (less than 0.1% of the TV-watching population) that are then used as the basis for total viewing figures. The TV networks also do not take into account the rise of time-shifted viewing with devices like TiVo, they only take into account those people that watch a programme live, not the masses of people who record programmes and watch them later.

That said, although I will be sad to see Fringe finish, I did feel they were struggling to know where to take the programme throughout much of the last series. And personally, I always preferred Bolivia to Olivia ;)

17. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Last series will be enough for syndication which is 100 episodes. I have seen every episode to date.

And love it!! Walter has been awesome since day one.

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Most of what I watch now is viewed on iPlayer or 4od or recorded, sport is the only thing I seem to watch live now.

19. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Thanks for the tip, I'm really liking it!

20. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Well seeing as we are all like minded in this thread, I just post here rather than start a new thread. My question is now the Fringe is on the way out, what are the suggestions for a suitable replacement?

I've seen Grimm and Continuum being mentioned. Anyone have anything else? I've heard of a series call "Alphas" and 1 person talk about it, saying it's "not bad".

Guess I'm trying to go for a a sort of rating/brief description like what we do in the movies thread.

/2cents