1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project~HULK MAD

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dngerdave, 19 Aug 2012.

1. dngerdave

dngerdave What's a Dremel?

This will be my "First" DOCUMENTED case mod. I've done several mods in the past, but never had the ambition to share or post anything about my other ones.
    This is the case i'll be modding:
    [​IMG]
    I'll be changing everything from the front panel, photo's of that mod in progress can be seen below, and the left side removable panel. The system specs are: (FYI this is a year old PC)

HDD: 1 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    CPU: 1 x Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
    Motherboard: 1 x ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Video Card: 1 x SAPPHIRE 21197-00-40G Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    PSU: 1 x XFX ProSeries P1-1250-BEFX 1250W ATX12V V2.2 & ESP12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
    RAM: 1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

My update process:
    I'm on EST or GMT-5 time zone, but most of my updates will happen at night for my area, I have a daytime sleep schedule. I hopefully will be making daily/bi-weekly updates on this case mod with photo's. Please feel feel to comment, just keep things polite and constructive... that's all I ask. I am ALWAYS up for feedback/advice, so please don't be afraid to give it.

2. dngerdave

*Note* I will be changing the "stock" blue LED's. They are on there just for temporary purposes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Aug 2012
  3. dngerdave

QUICK UPDATE: I'm debating on either WHITE Acrylic to give the case a "lab" feel on the outside, or all black. The "lab" idea would have 2 vials in the front (reservoir's) that would look like the vials that were used to inject Bruce Banner with the syreum. Dam... I have to get good at solidworks or something.. lol explaining is alot harder than drawing lol. A viewing window, much like a "Break Glass in case of" window, but in the effect it would show the vials would be in front of the vials. This whole front panel would come out enough to cover the vials and the front part of the case. I'll be doing a few "mock-ups" with cardboard and good ol duct tape later on tonight and will take a few pics. For the water cooling, the radiator will be at the top, I was thinking of maintaining the same flow with the liquid from the vials on top of the case. Sort of like an interconnect board, like on the all to famous Diablo 3 case. That would have the fluid running to its desired points(CPU/VGA two separate loops better cooling).

Internal components: All or most of the internal components (Motherboard,Graphics card, CPU, cooling system) will be upgraded shortly. The wifes PC decided to crap out on us after 5 years of dedicated service... Let's take a moment of silence for said PC.... LOL She will be getting ALL of the components I have in my PC (current listings above) and i'll be designing a Avengers themed case for her as well.
    Here's the new components for the "HULK MAD" ~ Case Project:
    Case: Same (COOLER MASTER HAF) Full Tower Case
    [​IMG]
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820
    [​IMG]

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Gene LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (Needed the smaller form factor for the build)
    [​IMG]

Graphics Cards: (2) XFX Double D FX797GTDFC Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 (Only worry I have with these is I am unsure if XFX allows aftermarket watercooling, and I cant find a block for this yet)
    [​IMG]

PSU: Same XFX Pro 1250 Watt
    [​IMG]
    (The reson for this PSU is , I like to have some "headroom" for upgrading my GPU's in the future:)
    HDD: (2) SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC
    [​IMG]

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    [​IMG]

4. dngerdave

Details for my agenda:

~Build mockup of the case using cardboard (Underway)
    ~Stecil out truss structure for the supports for front/top ()
    ~Cut White Acrylic for the side panel window()
    ~Cut White Acrylic for the front and top panels()

5. dngerdave

Ran into a MAJOR SNAFU...... The side panel, and top panel... i'm thinking will not turn out how i want, I might justbe throwing white acrylic on the "raised sections and doing a "stark industries" version of the case. Any input is needed and appreciated.

6. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Show progress dude! Input is easier with progress pics.

I'm sure a stark case would be cool, too.

7. dngerdave

LOL thats where the SNAFU comes in... camera broke along with the side panel that i put in close to 6 hours on..... cat decided it would make a great pedestal, and my camera was resting on top of it. :( So... I have a new camera on the way and i will definitely be taking pics with the new one asap... thank you for the reply:)