1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Mini-ITX Prodigy gaming build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zulu9812, 23 Aug 2012.

1. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

I'm looking at replacing my current behemoth of a gaming rig with something distinctly smaller, yet still able to do some serious gaming. Here's what I have so far:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comes to just just shy of £1650 with VAT.

Some concerns I have:

The Bitfenix site says that the Prodigy's PSU case is 180mm in length, but to give cable clearance you should a PSU of 160mm length maximum. Hence the Silverstone PSU in question. But I've heard that is incorrect and actually you can only have a 140mm long PSU with cable clearance. Which is correct?

I'm going with 8GB of RAM - but should I go with 16GB straight away? Will that kind of raw power be needed in the next couple of years?

As far as cooling goes, the plan is to mount the Antec 920 in the roof - will I have enough space for the optical drive? Furthermore, will the Antec 920 in the roof leave enough room for a 25mm thick fan at the back of the case?

Finally, I plan to run 3 x 120mm PWM fans off the Akasa cable and CPU fan connector on the motherboard, the pump for the 920 from the system fan connector on the motherboard and the 230mm fan via a PSU molex cable.

Any thoughts?

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

ebuyer do the same SSD for under £300. The PSU is extreme overkill! Really only need something around the 500W mark from a well regarded brand. Say Enermax! Not sure the GTX 680 is really worth it to be honest. I game at 2560 by 1440 with a Gigabyte GTX 670 and BF3 flys with very pretty graphics.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I agree with Blogins, the PSU is total overkill. You'll never be able to do SLI and BTs full machine including a3770K and a 670 only pulled 374W.

8GB of RAM is fine, but make sure you get 1x8GB stick, to leave room for future upgrades.

If the 920 doesn't fit in the roof, it should fit in the back instead. Be aware though, that if you run the 230mm fan via PSU Molex it'll run at full speed all the time unless you have a resistor.

Personally I'd drop the optical drive entirely and install a fan controller in the 5.25" bay. I haven't had a OD for years, and I really haven't missed it.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That's nothing compared to this... http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=228961

Core 2 Duo E8500 overclocked to 4GHz, x4 1GB RAM Modules, 680i Motherboard, Soundcard, GTX 480, 8800GT PhysX Card, Soundcard, D5 Vario Pump. All of this powered by a single Enermax Liberty 400W PSU and still going strong! :D

Edit: Forgot to mention the two Delta fans and two Phobya fans along with UV lighting and HDD!

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

thats sexy and all but just seems like a wast of space if your not WC,ing

why no love for this:
    Silverstone Sugo SFF

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Nearly 3x the price (though does come with PSU) and doesn't look as good, or offer as much flexibility.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I didn't buy 3770K in that :eyebrow:. /me checks the invoice. Yep, no 3770K there, only my good old 2600K :D. (Yep, that is my PC, built by friend's shop).

Anyway, to the OP :
    - i know for fact that Seasonic X and Corsair AX (ones built by Seasonic) just fits with their 16cm length. So if you are buying a modular PSU, 16cm is the maximum you should think about, as you need some extra space for the modular connector too.
    - Bitfenix Spectre Pro - i will be able to tell you something about the 20cm version tomorrow, when my computer will arrive (yep, againt that one linked by Bindi).
    - why do you need so much fans ? Top of the case is rather open, so GPU heat will escape easily, and CPU heat will be pushed out by your Antec Kuhler.
    - SATA cable - where do you plan to put your SSD ? Because 15cm is rather short cable, and considering you will have to route it around a 4cm high RAM you just wasted 8cm of cable routing around the RAM, another 5cm is gone for both connectors, so you are left with 2cm spare length to your SSD. Yes, cable length includes the connectors as well. So unless you mount your SSD on the PSU bracket i don't see the 15cm cable length as realistic. Buy a 30cm one instead.
    - won't be one of your top fan spots blocked by your optical drive ? If not, then it will be damn close and pretty much useless for cooling anyway .

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

If you check the reviews the Silverstone PSU are actually very good. If you do go with the Silverstones you can buy a short cable kit.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I wasn't criticising the Silverstone brand just the over specification for the above build.

My little ~£40 Enermax 400W could power the PC listed in the original post! :D

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Sorry. My poor reading comprehension strikes again! :D