1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Planetary Annihilation

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loafers, 22 Aug 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

"First class support for naval means you will be able to have a combination of water and land planets as well as ice asteroids"

OMG!

The stretch goals are incredible! Water planets and Gas Giants! Why oh why did I not win the Euromillions last week? I could have just dropped a cool $2m on it and got us everything!

I upped my pledge to $50.

Literally, I've never wanted a Kickstarter project to be funded more than this one.

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I've been a backer of this almost from the start. I think I went for the $50 option (Checks....) - Yes, yes I did!

I still have Total Annihilation installed and play it regularly. I cried when TA: Kingdoms came out.

3. Parge

I don't quite get the reward tiers. I get that for $50 I've backed it, and I'm getting the game, early beta access and a special commander unit, but I don't understand about all these additional rewards they've added. Can anyone explain.

I re-bought TA from GoG its awesome! Especially the music by Jeremy Saul! I still remember reading the last line of the review of TA Kingdoms in PC Zone - "Fantastic in every sense of the word".

It wasn't.

4. Phalanx

Parge, basically the stretch goals are what we get if the TOTAL amount of money raised on Kickstarter hits that target. They're bonuses based on what they raise overall.

It's basically an incentive to either give more, or tell people about it so they add to the pot. Or both!

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Please stop posting kickstarter stuff like this - I will have to sell my children soon ;-)

Backed.

6. Parge

No, sorry, I understand the stretch goals, but in the latest update they've written....

So what am I actually getting extra for my $50, anything at all?

If you sell them all you can probably get the $100 tier..... just saying :naughty:

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

They are additional amounts that you can add to your kick to get multiple copies of whatever you put in for.

Example:

You pay for a $50 kick. However, you have the money available and you'd like to get a few more copies. You can either put in another $40 for another copy, or drop in another $100 for 3 more copies of the game, "saving" you $50 ($50 + $100, rather than 4 x $50).

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Gonna say no to this....enjoyed playing TA at the time but thinking back at it now - it was hundreds of random units, a poor single player and a "select all > attack".

Don't know, maybe I played it wrong but doesn't do it for me now.

9. Phalanx

Ah, those are basically bonuses. You simply modify your backing choice, then just keep the choice you've made and modify the total at the top to add any of the options they have offered. They are optional. You still get what you backed for, even if you don't want the other stuff.

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Ctrl+A and an attack order was fun, but you would be mullered by a competent player! Airstrikes would target explosive units, arty would rain down on you, almost certain doom.

Various groups, different directions, stealth units, RESURRECTION K-BOTS! (Hilarious when you resurrect a group of 5 Krogoths right outside their base), onwards to victory.

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I want to give 10K. But I also want to goto school.
    Sigh,
    School wins.

12. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Wouldn't bother - you're going to be unemployed afterwards anyway so you might as well get some game practice in now!

13. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Nice one Loafers :)

Hoping to put in my Kick next week. Running a food market this weekend, so if it goes well I can afford myself something nice. Like a kick for a game that I can't play until next year some time :D

15. rollo

rollo Modder

TA and its ilk are still basically build as many units as poss and zerg lol

doesnt work agaist a competent player too well but you didnt meet to many

in supreme commander 2 the biggest problem eventually was the suped up commanders with there xp and level stats. my commander was my mobile tank anti air anti tank anti everything weapon. didnt even need a base thats kinda where the game went downhill that and teleport anyway.

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I'm not a massive fan of SupCom 2, but it had it's charm.

ARM had the zerg mentality in TA with their PeeWees and Flashs, but any rapid firing turret or something with a blast radius would tear them asunder. Bombers were always good.

Games where someone has a unit advantage of several hundred, then there is a chance for them.

There was a great mod for TA called Forgotten Enemies or something like that. Added a third race and more units and structures to both CORE and ARM. The 3rd race had this amazing laser cannon that could shoot through the terrain. Took an absolute age to rotate the turret and it ate through your energy reserves, but two of them in overlapping fields of fire would decimate a slow moving army. Easily swamped though if you didn't have supporting structures/units.

One of the best memories I have of TA was a Krogoth defending a beach-head on it's own (Resurrection K-bot as support) against wave after wave after wave of Gimps (Amphibious K-Bots). Went down to enemy fire at least 3 times, but the Res got him back up each time. Ended with something like 750+ kills before they were both nuked.

17. Parge

That sounds epic!

I remember on some of the metal maps you'd end up with absolutely insane kill counts.

Meanwhile PA made $100,000 yesterday. I don't know if they'll hit stretch goal 5 (if its a single player I don't care anyway), but I think we should at least be able to get water planets and gas giants by the time the 30 days is up.

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

It does seem to be picking up some momentum the last couple of days!

Some of the games you could have in TA were nothing short of legendary. Had a 4-player game in uni one year and it went on for 8 HOURS. Reached a point where we had to use nukes as tactical aids just to get our units anywhere near a base (blowing up defences 10 seconds before units arrived).

SupCom had just as many epic games as well. Seeing giant radar "blobs" of aircraft swarming and then seeing it all head your way, while you pray that the 30-wide and 5-deep wall of Tier 2 Flak cannons and Tier 3 AA launchers would hold long enough for you to get some units off the ground. Running 3 monkeylords towards the enemy base with Radar jammers beside them to support their own radar jamming abilities whilst your air units targetted his power generators so that you could knock it down, even if only for 2 minutes so that you could get past the Omnisensor detection range. Get into LoS of his base and 3 doomsday lasers open up and annihilate every single thing he has, clip the Commander and *BOOM* nuke detonates in his base.

Awesome games, awesome memories. :D

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, I used to play TA on LAN with 7 other friends - we had one game last about 19 hours. Nukes were used to support armies, except everybody had stacks of anti-nuke launchers. You relied on launching one more missile than they had ready, and then hopefully holding that tiny bit of territory you just took. Big Berthas and Vulcans were used simply to break up attacks, although there was one point where one player managed to build a trio of Berthas in the middle of the map, with range to hit nearly everywhere. Alliances were formed and broken - in fact, the stalemate was shattered by a sneak stab in the back by two players who completely annihilated their ally, turned on each other and watched the careful entente cordiale fall apart around their ears.

Yes, I won. Barely. I seem to remember having about 3 tanks left after my final assault, and a single Brawler gunship.

20. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Ok so it wasn't 10K like I want to do but 100$ pledged!