1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £1000-1100 Gaming Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Poulter, 22 Aug 2012.

1. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

http://clip2net.com/s/2eHAr

Right that is my last basket i think, what does everyone think, will it all work together, and will i need any cables or anything to make this work? Is there anything that i have overlooked etc?

2. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

3. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

4. MightyBenihana

Also get a few more posts and delivery is free from scan (25 posts needed then register)

5. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

I will change the build for the PSU, but i prefer the stats of the ssd that i have put on, or is that wrong, also the monitor that i have put is one of the best for my budget i thought? :D

6. malbluff

Certainly wouldn't disagree with your choice of monitor, for gaming. I don't have the technical knowledge to quote chapter and verse, on the workings of SSDs. I do know both the Samsung and Crucial have rock solid reliability and performance. If you check out a few threads, here, on SSDs, those are the two that always get the recommendations, virtually to the exclusion of everything else. There is a review on Bit-tech, on the Kingston, which may be worth reading, but it's quite technical. Someone here, with more skill than I, may be able to explain it better.

7. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Yeah i wouldn't know what to look for, all i saw was that this one has a high read and write speed so i picked it, does anyone know? :D was it 25 posts for free delivery?
    Thought it was only 20 :(

8. MightyBenihana

Maybe its 20 post, I forget now. Just remember you won't see a small increase in speed with an SSD but you will appreciate reliability forever. Intel and Samsung seem to have the best reliabilty.

For monitor advice I believe Goodbytes is your man. Don't rush into anything without consulting him.

The purpose of the build was only really to try and squeeze in a 670 and show some options.

9. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

How would i go about consulting him? I'll change the ssd over then, thanks for the advice :D To be honest i might stick to the 660ti or change to the 670, just need to think it over more :D

10. malbluff

There's a "sticky" thread at the top of the thread page, on monitors, by Goodbytes. That gives a lot of advice, and if you have specific query, just post a question on that.

11. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Thanks to everyone that has helped me. I am going to go with www.scan.co.uk. but i have a question first... What is the Today only page about? Because everything I want to get is on that page, but it is cheaper than it is on the other parts of the website, is anyone able to use that. Or am i reading something wrong?

12. malbluff

Yes, you can use that, as it says, it might not be there tomorrow (although the today ONLY is not necessarily literal)

13. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

I just saved £60... got my build below £1000 with
    http://clip2net.com/s/2eZiY
    Last thoughts before i think about putting my order in today?

14. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

I would seriously consider going over exactly what monitor you want and then finalize the build. Don't scrimp on the display, it's what will be used most and will last several upgrades. No point having good framerates if your monitor makes it look poo.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This.

Pick a monitor first, then build your PC.

16. MightyBenihana

I agree that a decent monitor is often overlooked. The longest serving piece of kit in most builds is the monitor and will last 3 or 4 builds. Also I always wonder about people buying £3-400 GFX cards and a £100 monitor. Sure there are some good deals around but you get what you pay for.

Since getting my Dell U2412m I don't know how I managed with my previous 19" 1280 x 768 or whatever it was monitor. Skimping here is a false economy I think. Like it was said above, the moitor is the thing you are looking at all the time, not the PC itself.

17. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

The reviews i have looked at said that these were some of the best gaming monitors... The stats themselves look good, and I can't seem to find a fault with them. I asked on the monitor sticky but i asked about the wrong one, and he hasn't gotten back to me about the one that i linked second yet. From experience has anyone ever had any trouble with Asus monitors?

18. malbluff

I don't think it's a question of problems, with the Asus'. Depending on which Asus, it's more a question better picture quality, and responsiveness, with the Dell. Of course, a lot of these things are fairly subjective, but you rarely (in fact never) get anyone moaning about picture quality on the Dell.

19. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

The Dell U2412m has an IPS panel and an aspect ratio of 16:10 (1920x1200).
    A big upgrade over the Asus TN 16:9 monitor for only £70 more.
    http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/order-dell-u2412m-widescreen-monitor-p-1639.html

The step from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200 doesn't sound much but that is more than 230,000 extra pixels.

I just upgraded from a Samsung TN to a Dell IPS screen and the Dell is soooo much better. I can pick out detail in dark images now and the top of the screen displays the same colour as the bottom.