1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs New TV Dilemma

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 25 Aug 2012.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've already posted this over on AVForums but thought it couldn't hurt to post it here either.

I've been looking into getting a new TV for a while as mine intermittently does this (it's a nearly 5 year old Samsung btw)

[​IMG]

I'm after a 37" or 40" TV and max budget would have to be £500-£600 including extended warranty (so about £550 then from RS). I think I've narrowed it down to two Samsung TVs - the UE40EH5000 and the UE40ES5500. The EH5000 is 'just' a TV, no smart functions etc whereas the ES5500 does have smart functions including being able to record programs to an external HDD. I'm not interested in 3D at all also.

I have a HTPC so the 'smart' functions aren't all that important to me. Also, I've been into my local Currys to look at both and I honestly can't see too much difference between the two. You might be reading all this thinking "just go for the cheaper one then" - I have a few questions / issues that are making me hesitate:

• Whilst my HPTC will play files across my network and play dvds / blu-rays it can't record - is the recording to USB HDD on the ES5500 any good (does it work at all) ?
    • The EH5000 only has two HDMI ports - at the minute this would be fine as my HTPC uses HDMI as does my XBox 360. If we were to get sky in the future I'd have to connect it via HDMI right? If so I would probably just use component to connect the xbox - can it display 1080p over component?
    • If I was to connect the xbox over component would I still be able to use the RCA audio out to play sound via my hi-fi?

Just as a final thought - I'm not dead set on one of these two models so I would be open to the suggestion of a different make / model.

Thanks in advance

GK

2. ResCyn

ResCyn What's a Dremel?

- No idea on the first.

- Yep. Although there are about 5 native 1080p games on the Xbox, everything essentially is upscaled so it really makes no difference. It would simply be which scaler is better, the one in the console, or the one in the TV. The difference would like be negligable and everybody uses the console scaler in practise.

- Yep. All outputs work all the time - I have mine hooked up via HDMI and have my component cable plugged in to run my headphones off RCA. What hifi do you have? Most modern receivers will offer HDMI video switching.

3. ResCyn

ResCyn What's a Dremel?

- No idea on the first.

- Yep. Although there are about 5 native 1080p games on the Xbox, everything essentially is upscaled so it really makes no difference. It would simply be which scaler is better, the one in the console, or the one in the TV. The difference would like be negligable and everybody uses the console scaler in practise.

- Yep. All outputs work all the time - I have mine hooked up via HDMI and have my component cable plugged in to run my headphones off RCA. What hifi do you have? Most modern receivers will offer HDMI video switching.

EDIT: Reviews on the net state both 2 and 3 HDMI ports so I'd check it out in the flesh if you haven't already.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Interestingly enough, the EH5000 series isn't the successor to last year's very well-received D5000 series. It's actually a step back on almost all counts.

Of the two models you've mentioned I'd clearly go for the ES5500 as that's much more of a true successor to the D5000. I also find 3D pretty much useless, but an added side effect of 3D is a better (faster) panel. BTW, don't make the USB recording feature count too much in your decision. There are several caveats. First of all the tv only has a single tuner, so you can only record what you'd otherwise watch. Secondly, you will only be able to play back any recording on this exact tv as the content is encrypted.

5. ResCyn

ResCyn What's a Dremel?

6. narwen

narwen narwen

Samsung UE40ES5500 is a best buy on the which site. £499 from john Lewis with 5 year guarantee included.

GeorgeK likes this.
  7. GeorgeK

Thanks for the input guys - much appreciated :thumb:

Thanks for pointing out that JL's TVs come with a 5 year guarantee as standard - you may have just saved me £50! Rep-worthy indeed!

I hate the which site however as you have to log in to see anything...

Having taken a look at some other websites I'm now also considering either the Panasonic TXL37E5B or the TXL42E5B....

I'm supposed to be narrowing down my list not expanding it :wallbash:

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

9. GeorgeK

Oops - forgot to reply to other posts! :duh:

I'm not against buying a 3D TV as such - just that I wouldn't use the 3D. If it gets you a better panel though then why not?! I just thought I'd ask about the recording facility - I'm really just after the best picture for the money - the 'extras' are just that really...

Unfortunately not... Would be an excellent option however...

10. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

I Don't use the USB for recording on my Sammy, but it is good for pausing/rewinding live tv (timeshift).

11. GeorgeK

12. GeorgeK

Hadn't realised this was a feature - thanks for pointing that out :thumb: Can I just ask - is your hdd bus powered? I have gone for the es5500 btw :D