1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics BF3 Crashing GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 9 Aug 2012.

1. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Wow, config.sys & autoexec.bat reinvented for the 21st century.

Maybes a daft question,but why did you go 32 bit windows on a new machine? (assuming you have, of course)

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I don't know what that command does, but it works.

I went 32 Bit because I was getting it for free.... :D

3. Deders

Deders Modder

32bit windows can only address up to 4GB of ram, this includes your GPU's ram. Other motherboard resources can also tie up address space.

32bit windows also handles ram by reserving 2GB for itself and 2GB for applications so the command line has told windows to allow 2.5GB for applications.

This is probably the reason that they have said that all Frostbite 2 games will only be compatible with 64 bit windows which has none of these constraints.

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I get this problem on my machine, but I'm running 64bit Windows 7, so I don't think BCDEdit will help. :( It's got to be the GPU on mine too though. I'm running a 580.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

is it a gigabyte card?

6. rollo

rollo Modder

BF3 is pushing the gpus at 100% alot of the time basically your running furmark whilst playing it. The card is probably not stable at its basic clocks at full load without your voltage tweak. Guess MSI knows about it and you could probably rma the card if you were not comfortable with it been overvolted a bit.

7. Phalanx

No mate, EVGA. Latest BIOS is on it, and I'm on the latest nVidia drivers. No overclocks.

8. Parge

It seems to have mate. Before it would crash after about 5 minutes. We've now played several hours without a single hiccup.

I updated the BIOS to F3 on mine, I think that is the first port of call for anyone with a similar problem.

This is very true! I have Afterburner overlay on when playing games, and BF3 has my cards running at 99% almost all the time. I think this, combined with the fact that its not drawing a stable, regular voltage (like Furmark would), causes quite a bit of crashing.

I now have a big 125Mhz OC on the GPU core, and 200Mhz on the memory and its seems fine.

How often does yours crash?

9. Phalanx

Depends. Some nights it can be 2-3 times where it either crashes the game or hard-locks the PC entirely. Other nights it will be nothing. I've run all kinds of diagnostics on my system. Any other game works perfectly too, it's weird.

10. Parge

That is strange. Mine used to crash once a night, as soon as I loaded up my first game, but that appears to have been fixed since the last patch.

Sounds like a system/registry issue (assuming you've run furmark to load test it).

Have you tried, this.....

11. Phalanx

I'll give that a try tonight. I even went as far as reinstalling the OS incase anything there was causing it, but that didn't fix it.

I'll let you know mate.

12. Phalanx

Well, that didn't work. My folder and registry already were called "Battlefield 3". No (tm).

13. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

That command is overriding the default memory limit per process of 2Gb to 2.5Gb.

14. Phalanx

Right, after getting fed up of three hard locks in about 15 minutes last night, I went into a rage, unplugged the PC from everything, took it apart, put it back together, but this time I moved the graphics card to another PCI-E slot to give the sound card more room (it was literally millimetres from the back of the graphics card) and air, as the hard locks occurred with repeating sound.

The result? Not one crash after I gave the sound card more space for air flow. I'll see how it goes tonight and tomorrow and, fingers crossed, this might be it.