1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware BitFenix Prodigy review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 Sep 2012.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Let's do the math :D.

Depth 34cm. Substract a standard 3cm radiator from it, that is 31cm. Substract a standard fan size from it, that is 31-2.5=28.5cm.

GTX690 is 28cm. So you got 0,5cm space left :D. That is if you will use a front mounted radiator. If not, then without issues, as your pump will probably fit fine bellow the card (see the pic of my Prodigy) :
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/323089_10151087055011827_1657284200_o.jpg

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That looks pretty nifty! :thumb:

Got any more pics of the rig?

3. faugusztin

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Still, very nice little build.

Does that front faceplate cause much airflow restriction for the radiator?

5. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

A good choice. Looks awesome!

6. xbournex

xbournex BitFenix PR/Forum Manager

7. faugusztin

All fans are exhaust (so it sucks in air through the passive Seasonic X-460FL) and i don't think it restricts the airflow much - there are holes all around the front cover. Plus i am pretty sure it is nothing compared to the pressure needed to push the air through the radiator.

@xbournex: just to give that link into perspective - if anyone want radiators, keep these in mind - you can fit 240mm radiator at top with no issues if you remove the 5.25" bay, but if you want a 200mm radiator at front at the same time and the top fans to be standard size, then you need to mount the radiator on the front panel and put the fan inside. If you mount the fan on the case and then the radiator, then your 200mm radiator will conflict with a standard size fan on top 240mm radiator and you will have to use thin fan, like in the link xbournex provided. If you do it like it is in my computer, then you can have full size fans at top. The holes for the front 200mm radiator had to be drilled AFAIK.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2012
  8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

^^ Sweet build there. It's easy to forget how short the GTX 670's PCB really is! It normally looks bigger because of the stock heatsink.

I think my next computer shall be a mini-ITX job...

9. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Honey I shrank the Mac G4.

Still looks pretty ****ing awesome tho.

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I got this case - it is awesome. My only problem is that my Freezer 13 only just allows me to have the cd drive in a reasonable position- thats not the cases fault though :)

USB in the side panel is also not ideal!

11. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

From the conclusion it seems that is best wait ver2.0 of the case :)

12. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Have this case - currently in pieces and in various states ;) you can see my case mod progress here:

So Say We All

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I think the psu compartment is just that little bit too short, what with most psus being modular these days and the connectors adding some length as well.

14. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Anyone know the relative heat generated by the cards used int eh different rigs (GeForce GTX 570, GeForce GTX 560 and ATI Radeon HD 5870)? It would be nice to be able to have a rough comparison between case sizes.

15. dillingerdan

dillingerdan What's a Dremel?

TBF You can completely remove and rotate the HDD cages so they insert from the other side of the case, so a long GPU doesnt need to be completely hindering.

ALSO there is enough space to move the cage back a few millimetres (LITERALLY ALL IT WOULD NEED, BITFENIX!) to get 5 HDDs in AND a proper long GPU.

If v2 fixes that small mistake, and make the power button/USB assembly not come off with the side panel every time it'd be the perfect case. Or perfect mITX case at least.

16. Jqim

Jqim What's a Dremel?

17. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

I don't "hate" this case, but I have a case 40mm taller and 40mm deeper, that is ATX format, seems so large for mITX, should really have been at least uATX ?

dunx

18. faugusztin

Compared to what measurements

Dimensions (WxHxD) 250 x 404 x 359mm <-- this is with the handlebars and all the external parts at front and back.
    Internal Dimensions (WxHxD) 250 x 310 x 340

In other words - the handlebars add around 9cm (or 30%) more to the height. If you forget about them, is your ATX case only 250x350x390mm big ? Don't think so. Lian Li PC-Q08 (ITX case) with a comparable feature set (that is long dual slot graphics cards, ATX PSU, possibility to use multiple 3.5" hard drives, 5.25" bay) but with no option to use watercooling is (W) 227 x (H) 272 x (D) 345mm big. Sure, Prodigy is 2cm wider (but it has much sturdier panels too), 4cm higher (but you can use pretty much any air cooler you can think about) and has pretty much same depth (-0.5cm internal, +1.5cm external suze) . It doesn't look that much bigger than other comparable ITX cases to me.

In short, most of the "big" size is due the handlebars.

19. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

and the Q08 can fit a sealed watercooling setup with 120mm rad, 4x 3.5mm HDD with long GPU installed, 1x optical 5.25" with 1x 2.5" HDD/SSD under it. The build quality is way higher and it doesn't cost much more.

My problem with the prodigy is that the space is so badly optimized. You have to drop the top HDD bay to fit cards longer than 18cm (which is more likely the targeted users), leaving you with only 2 HDD caddy.

20. faugusztin

PC-Q08 ? Well, not really.
    1) There is no way to put a 120mm radiator on top, it will be literaly pulling air from the side of the PSU, so the performance will be worse than bad. Take a look at PC-Q08 with H50 and a slim! Scythe fan in PC-Q08 :
    [​IMG]
    2) There is no way to put a 120mm or 140mm radiator at front, unless you want to lose the hard drive bays.
    3) build quality is pretty comparable between two, if anything then PC-Q08 and the insane 8 tiny screws per side panel is worse.

Finally again, even if you removed ALL 3.5" and 5.25" bays, you still got another 5 (yes, five) 5.25" positions to use in Prodigy. 2 on the side panel, 2 on the back of the PSU tray, one on the bottom of the case below the 3.5" bays.

Tags: Add Tags