1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding In search of modular PSU connectors...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Twizted, 1 Sep 2012.

1. Twizted

Twizted What's a Dremel?

Would anyone have any good leads to get modular PSU connectors?

To give a little more detail... I'm going to be redoing all my PSU wiring from scratch including the connectors (so I can leave the original cables in tact)... The PSU I have appears to use the same Molex Minifit Jr 5557 connector style as the main ATX and EPS but its a single inl-ine 5 conductor for IDE/SATA/Peripheral cables . I've attached a pic of the power supply connectors...

The Molex part number I found that matches is 5557-05R2-210-BL ( the BL is for black)... The problem I'm running into is I can only seem to locate them in Natural (white = 5557-05R2-210) color and I need black.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you don't mind paying rip-off prices for both part and postage then there's these. Alternatively ask the manufacturer how much a spare cable set/connectors would cost or if it's a Seasonic then try Antron Electronics.

3. Twizted

Twizted What's a Dremel?

Ouch.... After shipping those were over $20 USD for 5 connectors... I've shot an email out to OCZ (the PSU is an OCZ ZT Series 650W Fully-Modular) so I'll see what happens there but I'm not to hopeful there...

If it comes to it I will just fabric dye the white plastic to black... but I would rather just get black connectors to begin with.

4. dbradford32

dbradford32 What's a Dremel?

Hey Vernon, when dying them to black, you have to boil the plastic, right?

5. mindfulone

mindfulone What's a Dremel?

Not boil, no, no where near any temperature that will cause any harm to the plastic. Just use I-Dye poly, leave 'em in until they are the black you want...

6. Twizted

Twizted What's a Dremel?

When I have done this in the past I used a temp probe and kept the fluid at around 190~195 Fahrenheit... I'm mainly only used this for dying PCB material but I've done some plastics...

Its looking like this is going to be what I end up having to do...

7. dbradford32

dbradford32 What's a Dremel?

8. Twizted

Twizted What's a Dremel?