1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 or Windows 8 - New Build

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darkmoonshine, 10 Sep 2012.

1. Darkmoonshine

Darkmoonshine What's a Dremel?

Just in the middle of building a new system and need to get an OS.
    I am going to put Windows 8 release preview on it for now until the retail is released in October.
    Suppose it would be better to get Win7 OEM now and up-grade it at a later date if needed and thus keeping my setting etc
    Am I better sticking with Windows 7 which we all know and trust or just bite the bullet and get the latest OS when Its released.
    :confused:

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's all up to you. For me Windows 8 is a great OS. Just the default layout for the Start Screen sucks. But once you clean it up, add folder (Documents, Downloads, Profile, Computer, etc), and make and name yours groups, then it becomes enjoyable to use.

I already have Windows 8 final on my laptop from MSDNAA. I'll upgrade my desktop later on.

Same of the downsides/annoyances of Windows 8 is:
    -> Programs can't set default program to their files anymore. When you open a file by double clicking on it, it will open using a Metro app if it can, and then pop-up a notification box, saying that another program can open it. Click on the notification box, will show a box with a list of desktop/Metro program installed that can open it. Which from there can pick what you want. Alternatively, you can use Windows Default Program panel, to set all that up.

-> No more DVD playback codec. You need to purchase your own DVD playback codec/software or use VLC, to be able to play DVD movies.

-> Takes time to get used to the search system, and knowing the new keyboard shortcuts.

-> I am not a fan of the new theme. I much prefer Windows 7's one. But other people seams to like it, especially those who actually never likes the transparency/glass look from Vista/Win7).

Windows 8 release preview is stable enough (at least on my side when I had it), but Windows 8 final is better.

3. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

imo never get a new windows OS at point of release. Let other people work out the bugs and the bits that dont work.

Stick to win 7 for now.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

My take: get a Win7 license while you still can.

6. oliverr97

oliverr97 What's a Dremel?

I'd just stick to win7 for the time being, until all the initial problems are ironed out

7. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have toyed with Win8 on both my laptop and in a VMWare virtual machine.

I haven't given it much time to get used to the start screen - but so far can't see myself getting to like it. I can probably get the hang of it - but wouldn't choose it over the "old" Windows.

There are a couple of nice features - the Task Manager for instance just seems to have more information up front, without having to look elsewhere for the info.

I am toying with reinstalling my laptop with 8 for a while (rather than just for a few hours, then restoring an Acronis backup), it seems to run OK with my main programs:
    Office
    Lightroom 4
    Chrome

8. Darkmoonshine

I think I'll stick with Windows 7 for the time being and let them iron out all the bugs.

I'll purchase 7 oem for now, and maybe later on next year if they fix it enough Ill upgrade, but they got to bring back the start menu first those tiles are just to clunky for a desktop, its a bad move from MS I thinks.

Thanks for the advice guys.

9. Mikee

Mikee What's a Dremel?

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well it is the final version, so you can test how the final version really works. And the final retail version is there in less than 90 days.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

personally, windows 8, is ok, it boots faster than win7, the start screen isn't the problem people make it out to be, not that bothered about aero, it was nice, but not essential, no real problems with hardware or software.

edit: I forgot to mention, connecting to networks is also a lot quicker

12. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Any issues over software/gaming compatibility like xp to win 7 had?

13. GoodBytes

None. Everything Windows 7 can run, Windows 8 can run. Windows 8 is based on Windows 7 and Win7 based on Vista. Most Windows 7 drivers should work fine under Windows 8 even, as nothing was changed at the core level of the OS.

14. GoodBytes

Then I have some bad news, Start Menu will not come back, ever.

You have NO idea on what you just said: "those tiles are just to clunky for a desktop". Who? You never used it, beside read some poor article from a person who just looked at screen shot, or didn't use Windows 8 past a week, and not even seriously. He or She just wanted to bash the OS, because a headline that bashed Windows attracts click.
    Example: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3150506#post3150506

As I got used to the Start Screen, I find it a great move.
    For 3 month I have been using mt laptop connected to my desktop screen, and use InputDirector, a KVM software, that allows me to use my desktop keyboard and mouse on my laptop over the network so that I don't have to plug/unplug when I want to switch the system. I have using Windows 8 to develop and test my software. And I find the Start Screen to be great.

Lastly, their are always going to be bugs. Windows 7 is packed with them. A software of this size, it is expected to have them, no mater what OS it is. You might not encounter them... but they exists. You always have bugs. Whether its Windows, Linux, MacOS, or Unix. What you just said about waiting, is the same as the hardware wait that people fell into, and end up waiting for ever, as their will always be something better. Windows 8 is based on Win7. If they are any bugs, it would be on what has changed.

15. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Good to know someone out there is actually trying windows 8 rather than (some) people who say they hate it and havent even tried it!

To answer the question, I would get windows 8, and just get used to it (I also find it better), as it does offer speed improvements and is generally a better OS. Also if you happen to get a windows tablet down the line, the two will sync together better.

16. Darkmoonshine

I have tried it I've been running it in a VM for 4 weeks or so, and personally the metro UI stinks.

Its just not geared towards high resolution screens. Moving away from windows to a tablet UI is just a bad move.

It just can't decide on weather its a tablet or a desktop or maybe its a Tabtop.

I really wanted to like 8 but for now its definitely Windows 7 for me

Regards

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

For all the naysayers I recommend stardocks start menu. Allows you to boot to desktop gives you the same windows 7 start menu and you can use the metro ui only if you choose for the most part.

18. King Roo

King Roo What's a Dremel?

I hear that windows 8 wont be all that great. Lets hope its not another vista

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The two main things that aren't all that great are the new menu, which can be worked around using third party programs. The other is the mobile app system isn't best suited to the desktop but you don't have those anyway if you stick with windows 7. Overall its an improvement on windows 7 with some minor draw backs

Also its currently free to try and virtualisation makes it quite easy to test it out. People should at least use it before coming to conclusions.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2012
  20. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Virtualisation doesn't really show how snappy and quick it feels, so if you really want to try windows 8, I suggest a dual boot, as the partition can be deleted later anyway.