1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Take On Helicopters

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 31 Oct 2011.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Anyone else enjoying Take On Helicopters as much as me? I have been playing it so much that I am getting turbulance in my sleep!

Anyone thinking that this is just Arma 2 with more helicopters is mistaken. I wasn't sure if I would be into it or not, but I have found the whole experience enjoyable and relaxing. You even get to do some whale watching in the campaign!

Some quick pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Sep 2012
  2. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I've been meaning to get it asap but I'm full on with BF3 at the moment. How much is there to do besides just flying around?

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Well, it is a helicopter sim at it's heart so there is a lot of flying around! However, it is also built on an advanced version of the Arma2 OA engine, so there's scope for just about anything. There are some armed helicopters included.

The campaign has various tasks you get to do which as well as flying around includes lifting stuff, watching whales (yes, seriously), rescuing people and all kinds of other stuff that a non military helicopter firm may get involved in. There are also a series of 'flashback' missions where you take on the role of the main character's brother when he was a military pilot.

There is a full scenario editor included and it is also backed up with a fully featured scripting language. So, like Arma you can expect a lot of community content.

The flight model has been totally overhauled for TOH and it is much more of sim (in expert mode) than it was in the Arma engine. Having said that, you can tone down the difficulty to make it more accessible to non sim heads (although it is still a challenge).

So, in conclusion, yes there is a lot of flying around to do, but it differs from other fliught sims in the fact that it is built in the Armaverse, so there is scope for much, much more too.

4. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Cool thanks for the info!

I asked because there was a game I used to play as a kid called SimCopter. If you haven't played it, you played a chopper pilot in a large coastal city and over the radio you were given missions that you had to do to save the day in the town. From memory there were fires, where you had to fly over the bay and collect water in a bucket under the chopper and then fly over the fire and carefully dump the water out on the right spot, there were rescues where you had to lower a ladder down to people who had fallen out of their sailboats, there was traffic blockages where you had to hover over the traffic jam and shout at people or something, and there was a few more. It was such a great game, but sadly there were only several of these missions and they just got repeated over and over. I think I played it to death for about a week and then never went back, but I always dreamt that there would some day be a new game that was similar but did more.

It sounds like this could be it :)

5. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

i remmber simcopter :D
    there was taxi missions too i think

6. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

For those that are still flying helicopters, BI released the 1.6 'Downtown' patch today. This patch allows Take On Helicopters to be integrated with Arma 2 seamlessly. So, if you own both, you will be flying around Chernarus in one of my Yellow Cab helicopters very soon!!

http://takeonthegame.com/game-updates/

7. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Never heard of it but now that you have it interests me

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Just to give you a taste of ToH...

One of my time trial in Take On Helicopters

An example of the integration with Arma

Playing Domination with Take On Helicopters and Arma...

9. King Roo

King Roo What's a Dremel?

Every game I play I love it when they have choppers

10. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Hadn't heard of it either, but very interested. Jedra - what controls do you use? as i'd image that a helicopter sim would be greatly improved with a joystick/pedal combo and eyefinity/trackIR

11. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yeah - separate throttles and pedals are essential really for fine control. I am using a Logitech G940 setup. A lot of others are using a Warthog with added pedals. Although some people do use mouse and keyboard for me it's not really the way to go.

Although it's not a simulator in the way that X-Plane is, it is more in the simulation direction. Also because it uses an enhanced Arma 2 engine, there is a whole lot of missions and editing that can be done - also with the latest patch you can combine it with Arma 2 for some full on battles with realistic helicopter controls.

It's worth a shout if you like flying games - and it's currently discounted at the BI Store...

https://store.bistudio.com/take-on-helicopters

Oh, and it's also available on Steam if you like your games boiled ;-)

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13794/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

With the Steam version you have to wait a little while longer for the patches (normally a few days).

There's also a demo on Steam too - but it uses an older engine - lot's of improvements since then...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/65730/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Last edited: 13 Sep 2012
  12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

*hums airwolf theme*

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

As far as the demo goes, even though there have been lots of improvements would it be a fair representation of the controls? I wouldn't mind casually flying around on the lower difficulties if it seemed possible with mouse and keyboard. Like rogerabbits earlier, I'm getting some nostalgia from SimCopter. Also it's eerily cool watching you fly through Seattle in that time trial video!

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yes it would be a good indication of the controls. Bear in mind that the flight model has been tweaked since the demo, so the light helicopter especially flies a lot better. The Medium helicopter has also been tweaked, but it still feels a little light.

So, yes, if you wanted to get a feel for the game, it's a good start. It will also give you a good idea if your machine has the grunt too.

EDIT -> Just seen your specs - your machine has the grunt ;-)

EDIT again -> When you first fly, it seems too hard - you're better to start off in Expert mode as all the 'helpers' in the lower difficulties actually make it harder to fly in my opinion. It is worth persevering though - it is very rewarding when you land for the first time unassisted!

15. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

And i think it may of gone over their heads. ;)

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Not at all - there was at some point an Airwolf mod for Arma!

17. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

LOL I always hum the Airwolf theme when I fly helicopter in Arma. And hum the Love Boat theme when in a boat.

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

In case anyone is interested in this game - it is part of the steam daily deal today - £6.79. Bargain!

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Just bought this when it was on sale. Finally got it downloaded.

Get through the first few bits in the campaign, where you don't really do anything, get to the 01. Introduction mission (the first one with the instructor). And when the mission loading screen is done, I just get a black screen, which to start with has a little orange box at the bottom with "Group Channel" in it, this then disappears.

The game seems to be running in the background, as when I pressed a few keys, a chat message came up saying "Target in sight" or something, so I presume I got to something in the comms menu.

I can press exit, and the menu comes up fine.

Anyone here experienced this? Got a fix?

I've had a google, and can't seem to find anything at all. Bit annoying really, :D