1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I ask a favour from you all

Discussion in 'Serious' started by yakyb, 18 Jan 2012.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I don't follow your logic. Would you like police and paramedics to be paid less? Do you think that will improve their performance? Do you think that it will attract more capable people to the professions? Would you like a whole profession to be penalised for the mistakes that a small group of professionals made over 20 years ago, in very difficult and unusual circumstances? Do you think that will motivate them to do better in future?

2. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

There is no logic, I wouldn't indulge him. He's probably still reeling from the guilt of that original sin he inherited from Adam and Eve when the Earth was created 4,000 years ago ;)

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

4,000 years?

[​IMG]

4. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Just thought this thread deserved reviving in light of yesterday's outcome. I was ignorant of the details of this event, and now understand why the friends & relatives of the victims have fought so hard for all these years, so well done to them. I am not surprised by any of it, but it is a depressing reminder of how the society so many place such faith in is built upon systems that encourage the lies and falsification of evidence by those in positions trusted to do the opposite. Sure, they'll be some reviews and changes made to try and fix the gaps, but there will always be people in positions of authority that can't be trusted. Until the robots take over, at least.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I hope that some of the people posting in here saying that this inquest was pointless and things should have been left well alone will now acknowledge that they were wrong.

It's absolutely mind-boggling that it's taken 27 years for the truth to come out, and that there are individuals and institutions who have lied for years to cover up their part in the tragic events. And that's the thing - it was a catalogue of errors, not one single cock-up, and so many people bear responsibility, but the cover-up was on an institutional level. I hope this verdict gives those who lost loved ones some form of closure, but perhaps that will only come once we see if criminal proceedings take place.

Interesting to see that this morning, every single paper I've seen carries the news about the inquest verdict as a front-page article, with two exceptions: The Sun and The Times. Poor bloody show from both of them.

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

And that's the thing - a catalogue of errors involving the Police, the SWFC, the Ambulance Service, the architects, and safety inspectors, the FA... because everyone was at fault, everyone was happy to stick to the early narrative circulated by the Police and eagerly lapped up by newspapers, politicians AND PUBLIC for whom it served a purpose.

If the ground has been sound, and the FA had heeded warnings from the previous year where there was a mini-crush and they'd put the Forest fans in Leppings Lane (as made more sense) and the Ambulance Service didn't have their finger stuck up their rectums, then they would all have probably testified from the start that the inexperienced match-day commander screwed up by opening the exit gates and not controlling access to individual pens....

But the real scandal is what happened AFTER Apr 15 1989..... I hope institutional charges are brought against the real culprits, rather than hounding former Ch Insp David Duckenfield. Unlike Bernard Hogan-Howe, Lord Justice Stuart-Smith, Graham Kelly, Norman Bettison, Bernard Ingham, Kelvin Mackenzie, SWFC, whoever was in charge of the Ambulance Service then and since, Jack Straw, coroner Stefan Popper, [and many others] this pathetic little man effectively lost his career and has probably been haunted ever since.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I thought so, but was this thread which at the time prompted me to look into the subject more and change my mind. So I don't mind admitting that I was wrong.