1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress My Glass & Steel Orange Graphite 600T

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dave2010_TA, 28 May 2012.

1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

It's simple the rules state that the first post must contain some actual work for it to be in the log section not just endless pictures of the bits you are going to use.

Don't worry it will get moved back once you start some work on the build as stated by the mod :thumb:

Project log rules link

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=113985

Last edited: 28 Jun 2012
  2. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Ok thank you very much, yesterday was a bad day for me, excuse me for my words you and Mankz. Thank you
    Dave

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

As I said, don't worry about it :thumb:

You've got a rather nice selection of kit there, and I'm looking forwards to seeing what you do with it

4. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Thank you Mankz...what can I say...don't stop to follow my work!

5. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Mmm here there isn't enough suspense...I leave you now, with this words...

Your beautiful order is on its way to you :)....

Who says this words usually??

Stay tuned!

6. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Finally I have time to post my materials. Today has arrived the sleeving from Mdpc!! Beatiful like always.
    The news is the tool for crimping!! Very solid guyz!!
    Stay tuned with the next update...as soon as possibile, I'll keep dremel in my right hand!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Aquacomputer has just informed me that they are sending me the last item that I missed ... waiting ...

8. xtoxm

xtoxm What's a Dremel?

Got to love MDPC sleaving :)

9. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Yes, I love it!!

10. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Hello guys! Today I continue to show the others materials that I bought from Ybris Cooling. You can see on the left Ybris distilled water that I’ll need fot the graphic card’s loop; on the right you can see Mayhems Clean for the cpu+ram loop (cooled with passive radiators). The choice fell on Mayhmes precisely to the fact that having mixed materials (aluminum and copper) in the loop, it’s necessary to use a liquid that prevents and avoid galvanic corrosion.
    I bought also the fantastic ModSmart’s PCI connectors, made by an amazing orange, perfectly the same colour of the tubes and motherboard.
    Close to these connectors, you can found two T-connectors, two ball valves and two fillports, which placed on top of the case, allow me to fill easily the two tanks. You can see also four led stripe long 60 cm and six long 30 cm of Phobya and another top for Laing since the last time I took only one.
    You can also note the little packets of orange leds already coupled with resistances, over the PCI connectors. I’ll use these leds to replace the original leds of the 200 mm fans.
    But let's talk of the passive radiators: as you well remember (I hope hihi) I have already bought the passive of Alphacool, named Cape Cora.
    When I bought the others passive radiators I didn’t realize that they aren’t thread. The problem is that if I try to thread them, I’ll lose the anodization, and the galvanic corrosion would occur immediately.
    So, without becoming discouraged, I bought six individual elements, threaded 1/4GAS for both sides of course, and I'll use these. The only drawback is that they are gold, and then I’ll give a good painted with the paint suitable for radiators, so that it will not adversely affect the heat exchange with the external environment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Good evening guys!! I’m here again with a little up. Today morning has arrived me the black cover for the poweradjust, that the last time that I bought from Aquacomputer, they didn’t send me it because it was out of stock. You can notice the two lateral supports for the cover and about one thousands screws ahahah. This black cover allow me to mount the poweradjust behind it. The function of the poweradjust is to increase the power that one three pins connector can provide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

I think you'll need eye protection when you open that lot ;)

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

14. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Hi guys!!! I have a lot of problems at work, because, in july, august and in september, I will work for twelve hours a day, because we are full of work! But don't worry, I will come back soon with a lot of works on this mod!! Stay tuned!! Bye Bye!!

15. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

I'm back guys, now that the steel panels have gone into production and are laser cut, it's time to show the design behind these panels, glass and steel.
    For glass I'm having some trouble. I contacted a company that produces panels with waterjet but some complications have arisen and I had to abandon them. Now I'm looking for a company that can provide me this panels.

Homemade water tank

The program used to develop this project for the water tanks is Autocad2011, used with the 3D modeling interface.
    Beginning with the show this table. Notice the glass cylinder, which compose the body of water tanks. The two glass discs with various holes, will be positioned one above and one below, those who see exactly positioned in proximity precisely, the "above" and "below" the cylinder. The outer diameter of the cylinder is 60 mm, the inner one 50 mm.
    All the holes have smaller diameter 5 mm and the two large holes in the top and 15.8 mm. The two holes below will be for input and output of the liquid and the one above for loading of the same. Now, of course, the unions will not be grafted on the glass, it seems obvious. See below as will fit on the tray.

[​IMG]

I continue with the stainless steel parts.
    Given that between the cylinder and the two discs of glass, will insert two seals, one above and one below, I will insert a gasket between the piece even stainless steel you see below and the corresponding glass.
    The two stainless steel pieces that you can observe, will be fixed to the two glass discs, first with the bolts with nut steel inside of the pan and then held together with the four fingers of diameter 4 mm, which filetterò to extremes, so that once inserted in the two stainless steel pieces, can be fixed with a nut below and above with a nut.

[​IMG]

To be able to fix the two trays vertically to a bulkhead, I have invented to bend to 90 ° C the two terminals of both pieces of steel. Drilled, can be fixed easily to any bulkhead.
    The thickness of the two steel pieces is 3 mm, for threading them 1/4GAS above and two below, to engage the fittings. The nice thing is the color contrast characteristic of stainless steel with straight fittings EK deep black.

Final result

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The homemade water tank is ready!

16. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Front of the case

Second round.
    In the picture you can see this panel in stainless steel with the inscription carved Graphite.
    The dimensions are exactly the same as the original mesh is black now, exactly in front of the radiator arrangement for 200 mm on the lower front of the case.
    Notice the various loopholes that I got to expel the air cooler to the future. Steel plate thickness: 1 mm.

[​IMG]

The follow suit two panes of glass, shaped to fit do back panel. The glass for the slits not ricarde perfectly to the extent of them, but protrudes 1 mm per side in each slit.
    Once lit, the light will spread to all the slits. The smaller piece instead will obviously place, as you can see from the pictures, behind the written Graphite.
    Glass thickness: 4 mm. This glass will be an orange glass, lit with LEDs Phobya white stripe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Valor958

Valor958 What's a Dremel?

It looks like a lot of work is going into this. I'm anxious to see how it shapes up when the manufacture starts.
    As for your comment on your English in an earlier post, you are doing quite well, so no worries :)
    The description you provided and materials coming together definitely give me hope this will turn out as nice as you're aiming for. Using glass instead of the standard acryllic is a nice touch too. I'd imagine the glass is a little harder to work with though, or hard to get machines to specifications.

18. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Hi Valor! Thanks for your words. Because of my job, I'm very busy and tired, and I'm not able to write well as I know. I thank you for what you said.
    The choose of glass is because I don't want to use the material that every modder use, like plexiglass, aluminium...eccetera. This time, I want to surprise this community with something of very beatiful, so stay in touch, and watch over this mod hihi!!

19. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Windowed panel

I'm back to show you another little project.
    This time we talk about the windowed side panel of the case hardware already present by default on the panel.
    I proceeded to redraw it in part, without distorting it particularly, but keeping a certain simplicity and cleanliness.
    The dimensions, also, have remained almost the same, obviously except the edging on the sides that curve factory is not present.
    The glass plate is 4 mm thick and transparent.

[​IMG]

As regards the steel, instead, I proceeded to draw a frame with four holes that would support the glass and other four corners for fixing the frame over the glass to the door of houses.
    The thickness of this little frame is equal to 1 mm, sufficient to hold the glass, and very well anchored to the door of the cabinet. The holes on steel for hook the glass have a diameter of 5 mm, while those that anchor the little frame to the panel of the cabinet, 4 mm. The reason for the discrepancy between the two measures can be identified by the fact that most of the factories of glass that I contacted, they made the holes by hand with a drill and less than 5 mm can not do it. So I decided, however, to adopt the standard diameter for all the glass of 5 mm and maintain this on 4 mm for steel since I already bought the black screws with a diameter of 4 mm.

[​IMG]

Total view.

[​IMG]

20. Valor958

Valor958 What's a Dremel?

I like the glass/steel concept really. I have had steel computer cases before and the weight and stength of them just adds to the solid feel.
    For a pure style aspect, glass and steel are my favorite materials in a lot of areas. I love blue and black for the color themes, using either color for either part (blue glass, black steel / blue steel, black glass). I have a glass computer desk on a dark wood frame (steel frame was too costly) and love the look.
    When working with glass though, what do you plan to use to actually work and cut/drill the glass? I've seen a lot of glass projects locally have a LOT of difficulty in getting the glass right without fracturing, cracking, or altogether shattering the pieces.