1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming FTL review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 14 Sep 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Liiiinuuuuuux game ! Might me tempted by this one :D

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Definitely going on the list to play... Right after Black Mesa. :D

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Exactly! More important games are released today! :D

5. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Well chuffed with this review - I backed this game on Kickstarter :)

6. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

And my names in the credits :D which makes it even better.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Definitely interested. And it's entirely possible that the devs will listen about difficulty levels etc. :)

8. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

It's pretty fun but it annoyed me in a few ways. Most obvious is that it's too hard to access new ships and it can get old fast playing with just the basic one and first one you can unlock (which you do get easily). Second there are a few unbalanced elements to the game, most notably boarding combat, a couple of times now I've found myself boarded at the start of a fight by members of species that fight harder than my crew and don't mind a lack of oxygen, which essentially means that I'm doomed from the second I enter the area and any actual fight that follows is a mathematical formality.

Hopefully they'll add more content, open it up to be more moddable and generally improve the game, but there is a tendency with Rogue style games to look at this sort of balance problem and just chalk it up to bad luck and not needing to be fixed.

9. Paradigm Shifter

I've now put a fair number of hours into this game - much easier to do that some would think - and I'd agree with much of this. I've had the boarding issue happen a half-dozen times, as well as reached the final boss
    only to beat it by the skin of my teeth but leave me in no fit state for continuing the third stage of said fight. I hate boss fights where you kill it (the ship explodes) only for it to "warp away" and be back at full health! :wallbash:

I've played one game where people practically threw weapons and upgrades at me - "Here, have this for free simply for warping in!" and another game where I limped from one fight to another, scraping through by the skin of my teeth and perpetually running out of everything.

10. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Everything gets so overhyped these days. For just 2 quid more you could get a game that's about 50 times bigger and better, and you wont be fed up of it in a few days:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/46330/

11. Paradigm Shifter

I'm afraid I've not perfected my omniscience yet (read: you have to know about something before it's an option...)

12. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I do have to agree, so far I've unlocked the both layouts for the engi ship, and the other layout for the basic ship, but am a bit stuck (beyond a vague "need to find <race> homeworlds) as to how to unlock the rest, I could look it up but that sort of ruins the point.

One thing I would love to see added (via mods or DLC or something) is the ability to create your own ships.

I think my favourite combo so far is some ion weapons to disable shields + weapons, then fire bombs and boarding drones, it's not great against AI ships, but hilarious against manned ones.

13. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

Is anyone else thinking Battlestar Galactica?

14. veato

veato I should be working

I've played a few times but for the life of me cannot figure out how to upgrade my shields or use drones.

15. Paradigm Shifter

To upgrade shields, click on Ship, then go upgrade the shields. You need to do it in twos, though, otherwise it's a waste of scrap. Then assign some extra power to the shields. :)

Drones are similar, but have a tendency to turn off when they feel like it.

16. veato

veato I should be working

Where do I do this. When I go to ship screen I can assign more bars to the shields (using my scrap) but back on the game screen it says 'system upgrade required'?

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Right, it says that because two shield bars in the ship screen give you one actual extra shield. So you're probably buying half of a shield and expecting to be able to power up a full one.

To use drones you need a drone control system. Some ships have this by default, but for the starter one you have to buy it from a store.

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oh, I like the look of this!

I have a few games in my ever-increasing list of unplayed titles that I really must get on with, but I think I'll pick this up in the near future.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ploughed quite a few hours into this over the last few days, and I'm very satisfied for £5... However I can't help but think it's a bloody hard game. I can only make decent progress on easy, and even then I haven't beaten the boss.

It's great for randomisation, every plough through being different systems etc, but I wish there were more layouts/ships to unlock (and an editor, that'd be kickass).

20. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I am loving this game! it is simple and really fun. recomended!

Tags: Add Tags