1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Faster Than Light - FTL

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by will_123, 19 Sep 2012.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

This game has me addicted. Its so good. Totally how a space game should be in my opinion. Just the way you need to repair and open and close doors for fire. Anybody else enjoying this as much as me?

One thing i have found is im not very good tho! Only unlocked one ship. Which is not a very good one. Think my highest score is like 850 or something. Whats your highest score?

2. suragh

suragh Derp

A tonne of people have been playing this recently on steam and I was a little confused at first because I have never seen a preview of it or anything. Is it good? What makes it addictive? :)

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Never heard of it.....but im interested

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

A lot of my mates are playing, but with the amount of time i have for games nowadays I tend to err on the side of AAA and try to play the big stuff. I'm tempted though I must admit

6. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I find it infuriating actually. I am not quite sure what you have to do to get a different ship, but so far I haven't managed it. I will be doing OK and then one pirate ship will knock out all of my systems and game over.

I very much doubt it will be a game I go back to.

7. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

I don't get it, why isn't there a demo???

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Probably because it is only six quid!

9. Wira

Wira Spoderman

You get the next ship by reaching the 5th system (second last one I think). I assume you then unlock the next ship by doing the saem with the one you just unlocked and so on.

Edit. took a look at their forums, I was completely wrong. Every ship has some specific unique requirements.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2012
  10. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Some people get paid £6 an hour. You want me to work for an hour for a game I might not even like? Publishers: Release demos for your games or piss off.

SazBard likes this.
  11. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Ha yes it can be irritating. But I keep finding myself coming back to it! People are talking about bosses etc. I have never been that far anyway.

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I agree with AAA releases... but this isn't a AAA company :)

Its a good game, we all think so - if you cant afford £6.13 dont buy it, or wait until a sale. To be honest I dont think it lends itself very well to demos anyway - its going to run on every computer its installed on and videos show very well what the game is about.

Buy it, its good :)

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Hurrah! I just made it through to the seventh sector!

At first I thought it was just pure luck, but I can see now that there are some sensible choices to be made especially when it comes to upgrading. Luck still plays a part, but it's not as 'dice roll' as I originally thought. It plays more like a board game.

There are those moments that are frustrating though - like when you get boarded by three enemies who proceed to wipe out your crew. I still haven't figured out how to get more crew.

Anyway, at least I have a new ship to try out next time.

@terrorbyt - At £6 per hour I can see that laying out for a £40 game could be galling if it turns out to be be crap. But for a £6 it's not so bad really - if it's going to make you feel bad though I wouldn't buy it. You have got quite a good system there though, so I am sure that you were up for the odd punt after putting that together.

14. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I am addicted to this game as well. It is certainly very challenging which makes it a lot of fun. But I have managed to complete it a few times now. It is perfect to play on a plane, drains little resources and keeps you captivated.

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Some shops sell them. usually around 40-60 scrap. And you can find them in random encounters.

16. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

You should play it on easy mode and then you can unlock all kinds of stuff. Then go to medium and it will be more manageable. It's a nice little game, extremely addictive.

But in a way, I kinda resent the popularity of games like this because there have been great indie games for decades that nobody ever heard about. It seems that nowadays indie gaming is starting to become hip, and mainstream sites are starting to talk about games like this. And for that I suppose I should be glad, but I just feel bad for some of the amazing games that in previous years, came and went without a peep.

p.s. If you like this game, you owe it to yourself and the universe to buy Space Rangers 2: Reboot. And maybe one called Startopia.

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

There's tons of Lets Play coverage on the game and since it's the clicky type watching a video will even give you a feel for the controls.

For some easily consumable LPs check out Northernlion (even though he's infuriatingly bad at the game) and this dude

18. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I managed to get a damaged stasis pod, then it got repaired and crystal alien joined my crew told me of a way to his homeworld giving a quest marker, we goto the marker and it activates a becon, this warps us to the crystal homeworlds.

Here he tells me he left his ship, so new quest marker, i get there and it tells me new ship now in hanger.

So next game i get it out, some sort of crystal cruiser, 4 crew members to start and the best part, 2 weapons, one that fires 2x1dmg and a 1x2dmg crystal gun, the best part.....they pierce shields!!!!

I think i was lucky as there was a bit of work and probably about 20 jumps involved but that crusier is by far the best i have tried yet!!

So if you get a chance at a damaged stasis pod, take it!

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It's growing on me big time this game. It's a grower that's for sure.

If anyone wants me I will be hunting for damaged Stasis pods!!!

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Has anyone had a good outcome from the mad bloke on the planet? I've found him a few times now and he always commits suicide and takes someone with him, or damages the ship in some way.