1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Tex Murphy GOG all games giveaway

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by chrisdj, 20 Sep 2012.

1. chrisdj

chrisdj What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I am a kickstarter backer for the new tex Murphy game being developed, and have received a code for all 5 the original Tex Murphy games on GOG. However as I already own all these games, I have no use for this code, and would love to share it with one of you fine people out there. So, leave a comment on this thread, and my PNRG will choose a number and that person will get the code emailed to them. Please note this is for ALL 5 previous games, so if you already have some, please do not enter as it takes the joy of discovering our favourite PI away from someone else. Competition closes Sunday eve, and I will name the winner Monday and PM them the code.

Happy hunting!

Chris:rock:

Shock horror for not knowing who tex Murphy is adzc1987.
    The full games list is Mean Streets, Martian Memorandum, Under a killing moon, The Pandora Directive, and Overseer. Tex Murphy games utilised FMV with 3d environments, at the same time as the Wing Commander games, so read up about it. And if you like it go to bigfinishgames.com, and support them, they still take PayPal for the next installment.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2012
    Paul2011, azrael- and dolphie like this.
  2. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Im in not sure what the games are etc but hey!

@Chris, according to GOG the first one was out in 1991!!! lol i was 4 and it was also 4 years before my dad got our pc....and ill have you know Mechwarrior 2 was my first game :p ;)

They sound interesting however!

Last edited: 21 Sep 2012
  3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

This looks interesting. Thank you for the chance to win! Count me in.

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I won't shy away from some freeness. Thanks for this.

6. Paul2011

Paul2011 Minimodder

I remember hearing about these games back in the day, sadly never tried them so count me in and thank you for being awesome!

Good luck everyone

7. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

These games were a big part of my youth, so great. +Rep for sharing.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

If there are any leftovers I'd like to take the burden off your shoulders. ;)

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Always wondered if those games were any good, I also never got around to playing them back in the day.

10. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Count me in! :D

11. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

For those that never played them, if you are curious: They came along back when Adventure Games were still alive and kicking. Adventure games like Kings Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Sam n Max, Monkey Island, The Longest Journey, etc.

But those games were mostly "point and click" with quite simple cartoon-ish graphics and often wacky kid friendly themes.

The Tex Murphy games had "photo realistic" graphics which were totally ahead of their time, and it also let you view things from a first person perspective. You couldn't run around and jump like you can in modern FPS's, but you could transition to new areas and examine objects and stuff. It kind of bridged some gaps and basically was an early inventor of FPS/RPG/Adventure hybrids which we enjoy today. Stuff like Deus Ex and System Shock get all the credit, and they deserve it, but a little earlier than those games was stuff like the Tex Murphy games which 'dared to dream' and think big and made us all imagine a day when games would look almost like real life etc.

They also had more mature themes and characters and were entirely dialogue and clue based. No (or very little) action. But that was really cool because besides puzzle games, you just don't really get games like that. Even today the only one I can think of that comes close is probably LA Noire. But to cut a long ramble short, they are basically adventure games, but they were pushing the envelope in terms of graphics and immersion, and they were one of the rare few games that weren't aimed squarely at kids. I think some kids could still enjoy it (I was a teenager), but it was just a bit more of a novel (like a book) type of experience rather than a typical game type of experience.

Whether me or anyone else would still want to play it today, not sure, but they were pretty special games and very influential on the industry. If you like adventure games and stories and characters then you would probably love it even today.

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I hope the new Tex stays true to spirit of the originals. Was a really great series of games, and I have some of them on disks still someplace...
    I have been longing for a good proper adventure game for years, but there is hardly anything made anymore in the adventure genre besides point and click escape the room type crap. I think the last decent adventure games I played where on the DS when I still had one. They were still essentially point and click (tap) but they had decent story and game play. Pretty sad really.

13. chrisdj

chrisdj What's a Dremel?

Hi all, OK random number generator threw up number 10, which discounting my initial post means post number 9 is the winner! Congrats blademark, I will forward the email to your PM, and enjoy. Evidently GOG added a few more games to his code, but it seems to be a bit of pot luck which additional games you get, so if its only the TM games, t least you will be having fun! |Enjoy, and if there is any issues please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mods please close this thread.

Chris

Blademrk likes this.
  14. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Damn! So close.

Gratz to Blademrk :thumb:

15. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Congratz! :thumb: :clap: :D