1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Faster Than Light - FTL

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by will_123, 19 Sep 2012.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

You need a level 2 med bay or a slug to calm him down, he'll join you then.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It was immensely stupid of me to bring FTL to work :worried:

The only thing that annoys me is the fuel cost. It prevents me from exploring.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ooh, noted!

Just warped into a system and got gifted a Glaive Beam. Long charge time but by golly it's a beast.

Me too... :(

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I unlocked the Zoltan and Engi ships!

Zoltan: In their territory hail the passive ship, then go to the quest location and hail the aggressive ship. Then do the most passive option and you'll unlock it.
    Engi: I just dropped into their territory at Level 5, that's it.

5. Krikkit

I've unlocked the Engi, but none of the others yet. I nearly got one by having all the different aliens, but couldn't find a slug dude. :(

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OK it's getting a bit boring now. I find it too random. You can literally just rock up and some dude with 3 guns, drones and a teleporter makes short work of you and that's that. There's no continuity with keeping what you had before to start again with.

7. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Might give it a go then

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

This is true - although you can develop techniques to do better to counter the random nature (rather like in a good board game), there is the occasional 'too random' encounter that will either wipe you out in the first sector or the 7th sector or anywhere in between. If you could have a couple of 'emergency FTL' jumps at your disposal, you could bug out when this happens, as it takes too long for the FTL drive to power back up in normal circumstances - usually against a big guy your engines, oxygen and doors are gone in an instant!

Anyway just a couple of these jumps (or even just one) would stop you from spamming it.

9. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

Gah I want this but still haven't worked my way through the steam sale games I bought and it's not long till hitman comes out......and also quite tempted by the new xcom game (even though I have never really enjoyed any of the previous games, I get the impression I missed the good early games).

There is also the new humble bundle to get .....not even christmas yet!

10. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

Unlocked the zoltan ship last night; it's stonkingly good! Apart from looking rather sleek, the shield is just uber and the halberd beam tears through hulls.

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This is exactly my problem. I just don't have enough time to play many indie games.

12. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I think the game kinda forces you to go through it multiple times, when you unlock a new ship normally its much better than the one before.

When i first got the engi ship i made it all the way! Then the crystal ship i am now using is awesome! But when i first took on the boss it was a OMG moment! that thing has like 3x3 missiles, 3x3 ions, 3x3 hull laser, 3x3 laser!

It tore me apart in seconds! lol

Oh also, has anyone had much luck with asphysixation? (blah spelling)

Very tricky if you dont have the right weapons, its a pain against ships with missile launchers. Cos sometimes the ion gun on its on isnt enough.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2012
  13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

This type of game is designed around the idea that you make a number of runs at it, kind of like the Binding of Isaac and you're not expected to be able to complete every run. Your success also largely depends on the loot you get so stuff carrying over from previous runs might not be ideal.

On my last run i encountered a dude with 5 (FIVE!!) shields and i pretty much had the starting weapon loadout. I tried to bring his weapons down and keep my engine running just long enough to charge the FTL. I barely managed to jump away and make it to the next store to get repairs.

And then i got raped by the boss.

14. Krikkit

I did have some luck with that with the Engi ship, and last night I managed to buy a crew damage beam for the Federation cruiser which worked quite well too, although you had to take their shields and keep them down.

15. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I did it once for the achievement using the engi ship but i don't think it's worth the effort normally.

16. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

It can be, when you get the slave traders or the smuggler random encounters i would imagine you get a much better reward than just blowing it up. It is very tricky.

I managed to find that big gun someone mentioned, in a store fairly early, i was blow up before i could try it out :(

17. Wira

Wira Spoderman

just to inform you guys, you can see the unlock requirements for each of the different ships by mousing over them in the list when in the hangar.

adzc1987 likes this.
  18. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

:duh: something as simple as that eh! I only had a cursory glance at some of them, i didnt even read the little popup. Cheers

19. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

The end-boss ship is bloody hard. I died in about 6 seconds or something...

The one man engi ship is pretty fun to play - unless the first thing you do is run into a pirate ship in front of a star. The horror... everything was burning from the solar flares, my oxygen machine was broken and the damn pirate ship kept attacking. Eventually it died from the flares (my weapons centre was already broken) and I stayed alone, waiting for my unavoidable death, constantly running back and forth from the engines to the cockpit hoping my FTL would power up in the last seconds. Unfortunately for "Giles", it didn't.

Once I got an alien from from some cryostasis pod, but I couldn't get to the place he wanted me to go, since I couldn't tell where exactely this Rockman system was . And then I died. Is there any way to see the name of the clusters (the coloured circles) further than the one or two before you?

This game is incredibly addictive.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I haven't completed ANY runs yet!

The scrap is so limited I have to spend it on hull repairs and FTL jumps, and what little upgrades I can afford just to keep up. Actually buying advanced upgrades from shops is well beyond me. I constantly get ****ed about 4-5th level.

In the end I downloaded a hacked save game that unlocks all the ships and it's still no different. It's just more luck than skill to get to the end, which is frustrating. On level 2 I just got attacked with 3x mantis to two of my Engis. I was ****ed in 2 seconds. In fact, you might as well just forget your weapons and pump everything into loading your FTL as fast as possible to get the hell out of there in the later levels because their dodge factor is just nuts. Then you don't get scrap, so you can't repair or buy FTL...

EDIT: Just got to the final boss, on easy, in a Crystal ship with 3 shields and got mushed. Didn't even make a single dent on him. Bleh uninstalled :/

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Sep 2012