1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress "Al - 13 - "Duplicity" Big update, getting shiny, nearly finished!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ShinyAli, 14 Sep 2012.

1. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Hi, I've been watching and reading this forum for a while and I've done some modding before but this time I thought I would post my new build on here, I wanted a new gaming PC but I also wanted a true dual purpose PC so that I could game and access the net at the same time, I've tried dual monitors but they don't really work when your gaming as the cursor is locked in the game and won't move to the other monitor so I decided the way to go was to have two motherboards so essentially two PC's in one case also I only have one main PC for everything and it annoys me having to boot up my gaming rig just to surf and check emails etc, so why not have a dual mobo PC :)

I am a big fan of aluminium/aluminum so this build was going to be big and very shiny and called "Al - 13 - "Duplicity"

The name stands for :
    Aluminium - Element symbol - Al
    Aluminium - Atomic number 13

"Duplicity" because of the two motherboards.

[​IMG]
    I bought one of the popular motherboard bundles from Utopia computers.co.uk called the Utopian Stinger it's a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 mobo with an i5-2500K overclocked to 4.5GHZ with 8GB of corsair vengeance RAM and a corsair cpu cooler

[​IMG]
    for graphics I bought a MSI N560GTX-Ti TWIN FROZR as these cards are getting good bang for your bucks reviews.

[​IMG]
    I also bought a corsair force 3 60GB SSD which will be used just for the operating system with HDD's for storage.

The case of course would be made from aluminium, aluminium for the chassis, brackets, panels and finally 2-3mm thick ali for the case sides which would be laser cut by a local company that I have just discovered

[​IMG]
    the build would use 180mm silverstone fans which I liked the look of so I bought two of them...mmm, 180mm fans there quite big (duh) when you actually see them :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    and a Lian Li mobo tray from kustompcs.co.uk to get started with.

[​IMG]

after making a rough layouts of where everything would go I realized I would need some more of the aluminium profile that I would be using for the case chassis
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this case was getting bigger already!

[​IMG]
    I'm using 20mm square aluminium profile for the chassis and some of the support struts and brackets

[​IMG]
    it's quite easy stuff to work with and fastens together with small 90 degree brackets and allen headed grub screws and has a 6mm slot down each side which you can slide bolts into for attaching brackets etc.

[​IMG]
    it makes a very solid structure as long as you keep the ends square when you cut them so I use a mitre saw fitted with a metal cutting blade.

Once I have a basic idea of what I want to build I don't spend time using design programs to work things out I much prefer to have a pile of parts in front of me and see what I can make with it all, I knew I wanted the gaming mobo to be in a completely separate area to the PSU and the drives with the PSU at the bottom of the case below the drives in the front rather than in the back of the case.

[​IMG]

So after playing around with the parts for a while I realized that there was not enough room to have the drives and PSU all at the front as the front fan was in the way

[​IMG]
    so I decided to mount the mobo turned through 90 degrees so the input output panel is at the top of the case and the 180mm fans sit in the bottom of the case and blow the hot air straight out the top of the case, having the layout like this meant that there was no big fan at the front of the case taking up space where I wanted the PSU.

Now I had the basic layout for most of the parts the next thing was what to do with the second mobo

[​IMG]
    this was an ASUS mini ITX mobo

[​IMG]
    I made a mini motherboard for the ITX and there was plenty of room to mount it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    but after trying a few places I thought that rather than hide it away inside the case why not make a feature of it and mount it so it can be seen, after all it does have a rather nice big blue passive heatsink on it and it seemed a pity to hide it away

[​IMG]
    so the only place it could really go to be seen properly was at the front top corner of the case, the heatsink will not be covered but exposed directly to the air to cool it.
    I have played around with the ITX before and had it booted up on the bench, it has a feature called Express Gate which is an instant-on environment that provides quick access to the internet and it will run with Linux Mint.

I'm sure many people would probably be far more sensible and just get a laptop just for using online but computer modding like most forms of customizing has absolutely nothing to do with being sensible has it!

Then I got to try out my new sheet metal bending brake

[​IMG]
    I marked out a piece of 2mm ali sheet that would be the new ITX mobo tray and went bending and it worked a treat with nice crisp folds, this bending brake cost a bit more than some you can buy but it is made by an engineering company in limited numbers and it's quite heavy duty and should bend up to 3mm ali and it's so much easier than trying to bend sheet metal in a vice between bits of wood and stuff, there are still a few on ebay.uk if anyone wants one, I can recommend them.

[​IMG]
    I drilled some mounting holes in the ITX mobo tray

[​IMG]
    and fitted some stand offs

[​IMG]
    and bolted it all to the new chassis where it's mounted at 45 degrees and amazingly it all fits,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    mounted the ITX mobo

[​IMG]
    I placed the fans and PSU in position just checking for size and space and now there is plenty of room for the drives and fan speed controller.

That's it for now, back soon.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2012
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

What the? My post never got posted.
    I think I said something on the lines of: Potentially awesome, and with a brake like that you could do away with the extrusions entirely.

3. ShinyAli

Hi Cheapskate, Thanks for your reply, Your absolutely right and I have plans to make a "chassis free" case I just need more practice with the folder as this is my first attempt at folding and it's easy to mess up when you have a few folds going at different angles and you can quickly ruin lots of metal :rolleyes: but the folder is proving it was worth every penny and it makes doing work that I would previously have struggled with a joy to do.

Work is coming along quite well, more pics soon. :)

4. ShinyAli

Time for an update.
    Aluminium, Aluminum, call it what you will, I've been cutting and filing loads of the lovely stuff the last week or so.

Something to consider if you plan to bend and fold ali is to make sure you buy the right type of ali because it is available in quite a few different grades and some won't bend very well, the 2mm sheet I used is called Grade 1050A.
    1050A aluminium alloy is one of the most popular grades of aluminium and has excellent corrosion resistance, high ductility, a high strength and a highly reflective finish and it bends/folds/machines well.

[​IMG]
    I never considered the grade of this 2" x 1/8" ali flat that I bought but it turned out to be poor at bending and only bent to about 60 degrees before it fractured and broke completely, I can hear the engineers and metallurgists sniggering :blush:..we live and learn.

[​IMG]

Obviously the mobo had to be securely attached to the chassis so I cut a piece of ali profile and tapped three six mm threads into it

[​IMG]
    fixed it to the chassis

[​IMG]
    and bolted the mobo tray to it from the front with three button head stainless bolts, most of the bolts I will be using will be button headed stainless I love them and they are not that expensive if you buy a hundred at a time.

[​IMG]
    I also made some brackets from angled ali and pop rivetted them to the back of the mobo tray and tapped some 6mm threads in the chassis rails and bolted them to that, this mobo ain't going nowhere!

[​IMG]
    Time to mount the 180mm fans, using 1 inch ali angle I cut four lengths to fit across the chassis and cut out some curves to fit the the fans,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    when bolted onto the chassis with the fans mounted looking from underneath you can see how they line up.

[​IMG]
    Next, more ali for the PSU mounting tray some 2mm sheet cut to size and folded to fit into the chassis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the exhaust vent with PSU mounting holes and the fan intake holes were cut and shaped

[​IMG]
    the PSU will vent out the front of the case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the PSU intake will be underneath the case the same as the 180mm fans.

[​IMG]
    This is why I wanted to use a PSU power lead with a 90 degree angle connector so it would not stick out the front as much as the normal kettle type lead and allow the case to be a few cm's shorter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I also had to allow enough room when mounting the PSU for the cables coming out of the PSU, the overall size of the case is obviously bigger than your average midi case but at approx 63cm long by 50cm high it's only a few mm's bigger than the likes of the Silverstone Fortress FT02.

[​IMG]
    Now for the firewall, this 2mm ali sheet will separate all the hot stuff from the drives

[​IMG]
    I folded the sheet to make a mounting flange at each end and drilled some mounting holes, the ali profile that makes the chassis has a 6mm slot running along each side which is perfect for sliding bolts into to use as mounting points and that's what I used to mount the firewall to the chassis at the top and bottom.

[​IMG]
    The top of the firewall butts up nicely against the edge of the ITX mobo tray, it took a while and a bit of measuring to get it folded to fit as well as it did but I'm pleased with the way it has turned out, it's essential to remember to included the thickness of the material you are folding in your measurements or you can get it all wrong, something I have learnt by my mistakes!
    [​IMG]
    I also fitted the new Enermax Vegas fan I bought which only required four mounting holes drilling and the rubber mounts fitted this is a bit of bling as it's loaded with 18 LED's and can display seven different lighting modes.

[​IMG]
    Now with the firewall in place I mounted an angle bracket to it and another bracket to the front of the chassis, these brackets were to mount a 2mm ali platform that all the drive units will stand on.

[​IMG]
    I needed two drive cages for the optical drives and the HDD's and the SSD, the first cage was made from 2mm ali sheet cut and folded to size and the mounting holes drilled when that was done the drive cage needed some mounting brackets which I cut from angled ali and drilled some mounting holes and slots into, these just bolt to the side of the drive cage and bolt on top the drive platform using the slots to allow some movement to align the front of the DVD and fan controller to the front of the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    there would only be one optical drive a DVD reader/burner but I also needed another set of mounting points for the Zalman fan speed controller that fits into a drive bay
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the HDD's cage,
    [​IMG]
    folded some more 2mm sheet and drilled the mounting holes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then cut out a section of the top fitted some ali mesh into it just glued in place with some epoxy glue.

I didn't really need to do this as the drives won't be generating a lot of heat, the 3.5 HDD is just for storage, the 2.5 HDD which I made a mounting adapter plate from some ali mesh is just for the ITX and the SSD doesn't really make any heat but I thought it needed some mesh to break up all the ali sheet and I had bought some ali mesh and I wanted to use it some where and it only took about 30 mins to do.

[​IMG]
    Made some angled mounting brackets for the HDD cage just like the ones on the bigger drive cage and fitted it on top of the DVD drive cage

[​IMG]
    Fitted the three drives.

[​IMG]

The HDD drive cage is bolted on top of the optical drive cage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The DVD drive and zalman speed controller where fitted to the drive cage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole drive assembly is fitted on top of the drive support panel.

[​IMG]

That's all for now.

Actually it's not, I forgot to add that I cut the top corner off of the chassis at 45 degrees to bring it in line with the ITX mobo :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

The profile is not designed to be cut and angled like this but I found you can do it and still use the joining brackets to connect the pieces together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Giving the chassis that angle has made it look better than the rectangular box that it was and it will look a lot more interesting when the laser cut side panels are all fitted, OK, that really is all for now.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2012
  5. whyte

whyte What's a Dremel?

Absolutely love your "why not have two pcs" solution

6. ShinyAli

Thanks, it's working out quite well considering I don't really design things I have a very basic idea and then just tend to throw parts around, shout and swear a lot and see what I can come up with :D

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I like the look of this one, some nice ideas and really neat workmanship.. I'll be keeping an eye on this build.

8. ShinyAli

Thanks, appreciated your comment, now adding an update :)

9. ShinyAli

Time for an update.

Because the mobo is rotated 90 degrees there will be a top cover on the case that is hinged to allow access to the i/o panel, USB sockets etc, it needs to be a strong hinge as the top cover will be made from 3mm ali and have a gas strut to open and support it and although the cover would not be that heavy the hinge will need to be strong enough take the force needed to over come the gas strut when pushing the cover down to close it.

[​IMG]
    The hinge plate to attach the top cover to would go the full width of the case and be supported on two 75mm hinges, I made it from a piece of 2" x 1/8" ali flat and drilled some holes to bolt the two hinges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's simple enough just two 75mm hinges bolted to the hinge plate and to the chassis back top rail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That should be strong enough :eeek:

[​IMG]
    Cut and fitted some honeycomb mesh between the i/o panel and the chassis, it fill's the gap and creates another vent for that nasty hot air to escape from.
    [​IMG]

I then realized that when the side panel would be fitted in pace there was not enough room to comfortably fit the VGA cable to the ITX board :duh:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    but I found a VGA 90 degree connector for sale

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and with a hole cut in the ITX mobo to connect the VGA cable that sorted that problem out.

[​IMG]
    The ITX mobo is powered from a Pico 90Watt PSU

[​IMG]
    and the pico is powered by this PSU

[​IMG]
    I made a mounting bracket for the PSU from perforated ali sheet and bolted it to the firewall where it will be cooled by the fans.

Now that I had the layout the way I wanted it was time to design the side panels that would cover the chassis so time to learn some sketchup, the designs would be going to a local engineers to be laser cut from 2 and 3mm ali, I designed four panels for the sides and one panel for the top cover

[​IMG]
    This panel will cover the main ATX mobo section and probably have some plexi in it.

[​IMG]
    This panel will cover the front right hand front section and have the text "Al-13 Duplicity and ASUS, Gigabyte and Twin Frozr II" cut into it.

[​IMG]
    This panel will be a hinged door on the front left of the case for access to the drive units.

[​IMG]
    This panel will have the most design work on it and be the main panel on the left hand side of the case.

[​IMG]
    This panel will be the top hinged cover and will have some honeycomb mesh in the hole so the hot air from the top fan can escape.

I then spent way too long printing them out to full scale and sticking all the pieces together to get the designs for the engineers but as it turned out after a chat with the engineers they discovered they could use the sketchup save files and import them into their CAD program and didn't need the drawings which saved them time and me money, oh well, all good practice and I know for next time.

A few days later I get a phone call from the engineers to say my parts are ready, this was quite exciting as I have never had any laser cutting done before and I was not disappointed the finish left by laser cutting is very clean with only a few very small edges needing any deburring and smoothing down, very impressive and it saved me a huge amount of work rather than make the parts myself.

As much as I like metalworking like cutting and filing (honestly I like filing :geek: ) and I always like to make as many parts myself I could never have got the text and patterns as clean and accurate as a laser, well worth the money.

[​IMG]
    The laser cut panels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The laser cutting is really clean and leaves very few edges that need cleaning up.

[​IMG]
    The panels will be backed by 1mm blue anodized ali sheet which will show through the cut out designs.

I just had to try one panel with the blue anodized ali to see what it looked like so I used the text panel and cut a piece of blue anodized ali and stuck it on the back of the panel then drilled some mounting holes in the panel and some corresponding holes in the chassis which were tapped with a 5mm thread for the mounting bolts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bolted to the chassis it looks nice when the light catches it and the ali is not even polished yet, most of the ali parts will be highly polished on the final build.

Now to fit the other panels, that's all for now.

10. ShinyAli

Al-13 Duplicity Big update and Gull wing door video.

Quite a big update after being messed around with parts and metal that I ordered arriving damaged or not arriving at all and holding me up for a few weeks while it all got sorted out, anyway, (rant over) here we go at last :clap:

[​IMG]

Cut some of the anodized blue ali sheet to size for backing and drilled some mounting holes in them

[​IMG]

and bolted it to this panel with 3mm button head allen bolts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fitted two 75mm chrome hinges to the chassis and bolted this panel to them, this panel is also a hinged door for access to the drives and PSU.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pattern for the cutouts is based on the pattern of the fining on the ASUS ITX heatsink

[​IMG]

Fitted the blue ali to the big panel with some more 3mm button head allen bolts, the chassis is drilled and tapped with 5mm theaded holes and bolted the panel to the chassis,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the end of the panel is folded at 90 degrees to wrap around the end of the chassis to keep the corners clean.

Now to work on a part that I've been looking forward to, fitting the panel that will cover the main mobo this panel will be a gull wing door that's powered by a gas/spring strut

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Two more 75mm hinges are bolted to the panel and the chassis is drilled all the way through to accept 5mm bolts which the hinges are fitted to.

[​IMG]

the panel mounted on the chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    it all fits and lines up pretty good.

Now to fit the gas strut.

[​IMG]

It's a Gas spring strut rated at 50Newtons, I tried another unit rated at 30Newtons but it was too weak to push the door open fully.

[​IMG]

I made two mounting brackets from angle ali

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and mounted the top bracket to the panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bolted the bottom strut mount to the chassis

[​IMG]

and bolted the strut to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Success, It works nice and smoothly and makes that nice swuuushing (swuuushing?) noise as it opens and closes and all that's visible from the outside is the two mounting bolt heads, the top panel on the case will also be hinged with a gas strut.

Mmm, the video's not had many hits, maybe I should have included a cat in it somewhere :D

Classic mistake time! I had mounted the top case fan on a bracket bolted to a chassis
    rail and as soon as I started to mount the strut to the chassis I realized that the strut was hitting the fan mount
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so I had to scrap that idea and make a complete new fan mounting plate which I should have done the first time as it's a much better/neater mount, maybe there is something to be said for all that CAD work and planning BEFORE you build :duh:

[​IMG]

Anyway I made a new fan mounting plate and fitted the fan to it using rubber vibration free mounts, there supposed to be fitted to thin 1mm case panels but they can be stretched to fit 2mm thick ali :)

[​IMG]
    The new fan mount is bolted to the rear panel (which is now on top) and now the door shuts ok :rolleyes:

Now to make the front case panel from 1mm ali sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cut the sheet to size and folded it to fit the front of the chassis and drilled some mounting bolt holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It fits but it's lacking something...ah, holes, it needs some holes in it, big holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cut the first big hole which is for a window on the ITX mobo so it can be seen in all it's "glory" well the heatsink looks nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut a piece of transparent blue plexi to fit in the panel window

[​IMG]
    It's cut square just the camera angle and it still needs a bit of smoothing around the cut out.

[​IMG]

the plexi has a hole cut in it to allow air to the passive heatsink

[​IMG]

I might put a light or two behind the blue plexi to light up the ITX mobo.

Next hole to cut was for access to the DVD and fan speed controller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made another drive cage for the DVD drive and speed contoller because previously they were mounted with a gap between them which I decided would make an awkward gap to fill so the new cage has them mounted with no gap between them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It needed a bezel around the drives to tidy it up so I made one from some 2mm ali

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bezel will be stuck in place when the ali has been finally polished.

The last hole to cut is for the PSU to vent out through

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cut some honeycomb mesh to fit behind the vent hole

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stuck it in place and fitted the front panel to the case.

OK, That's it for now, next I have to fit some switches to the front panel and do some wiring :cooldude:

Last edited: 16 Oct 2012
  11. that_du^de

that_du^de give your head a wobble

that is very nice! and i like that brake to and good fabrication......subed!!

12. AciD_RaiN

AciD_RaiN What's a Dremel?

On the first few pics I wasn't really sure what to think but then it started to get awesome :D

13. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

I would have gone with a laser cut grill, but thats me and i really cant criticize any of the rest of the build since its been so refreshingly different and completely not what i expected from the first couple frame pics.

14. ShinyAli

Thanks very much for all your comments and encouragement, it's appreciated :thumb:

I honestly never thought of that, damn, now I'll have to go think about that :D

15. Furball Zen

Id offer to make one for you, but im in the US and postage would be a PITA. I can however help you map out the grill if you need it.

16. ShinyAli

Your absolutely right, I now realize the value of having some design plans to post at the beginning of the build to give people at least some idea of what you are aiming to do, my approach of having a vague idea and then throwing some bits around and seeing what happens is really not very helpful for others to follow, I mean, if I'm not sure where it's going then how can I expect others to know what I trying to do :rolleyes:

Now I can use good old sketchup a bit I will post designs for future builds and I am in fact now working on my next build, thanks very much for your offer of a grill and your lucky you don't live in this country or I might well be knocking on your door with a piece of ali in hand :D

17. Furball Zen

Oh, i can only do plexi and wood. But good luck :)

18. ShinyAli

Quite a big update and I can now see the end of this build in sight and I can't wait to use it and retire my old gaming rig with it's old Geforce 8800GT, gaming rig :rolleyes:

Drilled some mounting holes for the two power switches, two reset switches and the two LED's,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the blue power switch and blue LED on the right hand side are for the ITX mobo and the red switch and red LED for the Gigabyte mobo

[​IMG]

There is a bit of a gap around inside the ali bezel and the DVD drive and zalman fan controller but it's only because the ali bezel is held in place by some bluetack it will be glued properly in place on the final build, what is a real problem is the plastic bezel on the front of the zalman controller has come unstuck and is sticking out, it's still under warranty but it's a pain to sort out returning it so might re-glue it myself :confused:

Next was sorting out the 180mm fans I drilled some holes in the fan mounting brackets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and used rubber fan mounts hopefully this should stop any vibration noise from these big fans, the rubber mounts are meant to fit into thin pc case metal but I found they will stretch enough to fit 2mm thick metal which the fan brackets are made from.

[​IMG]

I bought some silverstone 180mm filters to fit the fans, apparently some silverstone filters have magnets in them but mine didn't but I wanted to use magnets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so bought some 8.5mm x 2mm neodymium magnets and drilled some holes slightly smaller than the magnets for an interference fit in the fan mounting brackets and using the vice I pressed the magnets into the brackets, they fitted nice and were not going anywhere so no glue was needed.

[​IMG]

Next the filters needed magnets but I couldn't risk pressing the magnets into the plastic filters so drilled same size holes as the magnets and super-glued the magnets in place, I had to remove two magnets and turn them over and refit them as they were repelling instead of attracting, oops :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Fans and filter magnets all fitted

[​IMG]
    and filters mounted to fans, it works well

[​IMG]
    Fitted the fans into the case but from below you can see there is a gap between the fans and the chassis that needs filling

[​IMG]
    so I cut some ali plates to fit the gaps

[​IMG]
    and bolted them in place.

Now more magnets this time on the side door to keep it shut

[​IMG]
    made a mounting bracket from some ali angle and again pressed the magnets into the holes

[​IMG]
    made a metal plate that goes on the inside of the door to pull it shut on the magnets

[​IMG]

It works well and requires a good pull to open the door, just need to make a small door knob for it now.

Time to fit the top hinged panel, something I have been looking forward to doing especially getting a gas strut fitted to it, I know from the gas strut I fitted to the side door panel that the gas struts work alright but it was going to be a bit of a tighter fit on the top panel.

[​IMG]

I'd had the top panel laser cut to size but it needed the front edge bent down a bit to form a visor that fitted down over the top edge of the case, I filed the edge to be bent to a point and bent it in the folding brake.

[​IMG]

the folding brake handled the 3mm ali with ease and I got the angle I needed first bend, more luck than judgement :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

drilled some mounting holes and bolted the top panel to the hinges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's worked out quite well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Furball Zen mentioned in a previous post about a grill instead of the plexi and I think he's right, not sure exactly what I'm going to do with it yet but I've gone off just having the big hole in the plexi.

Now to fit the gas strut, another 50 Newton strut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it comes with mounting brackets which I can adapt to fit the case

[​IMG]

all I had to do was file out the mounting slots on the bracket a bit to fit 5mm bolts and bolt it to a convenient chassis point

[​IMG]

I also used the other strut mounting bracket but it had to bent 90 degrees to line up with the strut

[​IMG]

and it took some trial and error to get the mounting point in the right place so the top panel opened and closed cleanly, the strut is mounted so it goes over centre when closed so it's pulling the panel shut and just a light lift to the edge of the visor is all that's needed to open the panel.
    Next problem, even though the panel is cut from 3mm ali which seems quite thick because it's quite long the gas strut was twisting the panel sightly out of shape and meant I could not get it lined up correctly when closed

[​IMG]

so I had to add some strengthening struts to the panel, made some struts from surprise,surprise, angle ali! and shaped them to fit around the cut out in the panel

[​IMG]

and it was also a good time to sort out the honeycomb mesh that would fit in the panel

[​IMG]

all bolted together and mounted to the hinges it doesn't flex anymore and also fitted a strip of thin black foam rubber to cushion the panel when it closes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly for this update I cut some clear plexi to fit in the opening side panel now the problems started :duh:

[​IMG]

When I fitted the plexi it became clear that this panel was also twisting like the top panel because of gas strut pushing on it, so I made some more struts and fitted them over the plexi and this sorted the twisting problem but now that extra little bit of weight was just too much for the gas strut and it would not push the panel open all the way, it was too damn heavy, Geez...There was nothing for it I had to get a more powerful gas strut, luckily the company I bought the 50N strut from also had other strengths so I bought an 80 Newton unit and this fixed the problem and the door now opens really strongly.

[​IMG]

I decided to give the case a quick polish, this is not the final polishing the case will get on a polishing mop it was just because I was getting fed up seeing it looking a bit dull and seeing the scratches that had occurred during building it, I have been working on the case for a while now and as I have very loud tinnitus it's often difficult to keep concentration and find the motivation to get the work done so I just needed a bit of a moral booster to keep me going and it worked, it's shines nicely and with all the panels open it's really taking shape.

It actually looks like it's about to take off, who said DeLorean :D

Anyway that's it for now and here's a few pictures of how it's looking, it's really going to shine after the final polishing is done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    sharp corners like these will be smoothed down and rounded to blend in on the final assembly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Nov 2012
    Waynio likes this.
  19. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

Men your case gets just better and better :)

20. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

thats really awesome, its great watching something turning from a few ally bars to a chassis, then to something like this. It looks soo good. excellent work.