1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Books you are currently reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 7 Nov 2010.

1. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Well, at the moment I'm reading the entire works of Oscar Wilde, and have already read Nineteen-Eighty-Four (incredible, but depressing) and The Great Gatsby. Both of those books are just genius.

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I finshed "Made in America" by Bill Bryson last week. Been fighting my way through that book for half a year. It's a hard read (to me), because of all the dates, details, etc. It's not a novel, and while it is interesting, it's not a particularly relaxing read.

Almost done with "The Whole Truth" by David Baldacci right now. Not bad in a "average Ken Follet type thriller" easy reading but ultimately inconsequential way.

After that, it's back to the Jobs biography and James Allen's 2011 review.

3. andyj87

andyj87 What's a Dremel?

After finishing the Song of Ice and Fire series I decided to read the hunger games, currently about 50 pages from finishing the last book.

It isnt as good as ice and fire but they are better than most books. I dont know what I will read afterwards.

4. GMC

GMC Minimodder

After the GRRM books, I'd recommend:
    Mistborn series mentioned earlier in the thread
    Demon Cycle by Peter V Brett.
    Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks
    All exceptional reads.

If you want something really meaty to get into, try the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. Exceptional books, I found they could be pleasantly unforgiving on the reader at times.

5. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Political Ideologies: An Introduction, 2nd Edition by Andrew Haywood. Really good read, outlining the basic principles of many prevalent ideologies. If anyone wants to read it, it's a tad old, so I'd suggest reading the 5th edition.

6. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I'd be interested to hear what you make of this. I found it pretty boring.

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

The Bourne trilogy, epic.

8. jifbo

jifbo What's a Dremel?

The Name of the Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear. Both Brilliant books, two of the best I've ever read. They just kept grabbing me and wanting me to read more. I can't wait for the third... Hurry up and write, Patrick Rothfuss!

9. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

I've read both of these. Name of the Wind is amongst my favourite books, easily. Definitely worth reading!

I'm reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami at the moment, it's the attention to deatil which has me hooked.

10. Sviatoslav

Sviatoslav What's a Dremel?

How about the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea? Lol, that's how boring I am, but it's for uni after all :) Started on the Game of Thrones book series and amazed how the TV series didn't diverge much from the book! Loving it :)

11. jifbo

jifbo What's a Dremel?

Can you recommend any books like them? I've read a lot of fantasy and the Lord of the Rings novels and many things like that. Are there any others that are similar that are also really, really good?

12. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Books like them, no. I haven't read anything that flows the same way or takes a similar approach to the fantasy genre.

13. jifbo

jifbo What's a Dremel?

Neither have I... They are one of a kind in my opinion. Name of the Wind is definitely in my top 5 books ever read, and I have a bookshelf in every room, some double deep, and still no room for more.

14. asura

asura jack of all trades

Reading
    Ghormenghast - Mervyn Peake
    The Ascendant Stars - Michael Cobley
    Across the Sea of Suns - Gregory Benford

Referencing
    Architects Guide to Running a Job -Ronald Green
    Architects Guide to Running a Practice - David Littlefield
    Accessible Thresholds in New Housing - NBS
    CIBSE Lighting Guide - CIBSE
    Building Sight - Peter Barker, Jon Barrick and Rod Wilson

15. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Are you studying for your part 3 or do you take a particular interest in architectural discourse? :) or in fact are you already in practice?

16. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I recently read the Godfather, amazing book! I could not put it down. I have also just finished The Hobbit which I really enjoyed, I am going to re-read LOTR now.

17. asura

asura jack of all trades

None of the above hoochy... I have completed my part2, and I am working (part time) on a couple of projects, but I'm neither busy enough to start quarterly reports, nor am I working for someone with their part3, so am disqualified on two counts :( and if I'm brutally honest about it, I'm not troubled by it, most lay-people I've spoken too don't know or don't care. And it's not like I'm doing bad design, not breath taking, but nothing like the local mass housing!

Just to keep myself slightly on topic, once I finish "Across the See of Suns" I'll be starting "Great Sky River" by the same author.

18. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Just finished all the books of a Song of Ice and Fire. Read them for the first time, in a row, without any other books in between. Wow. Can't wait for the next book.

Right now I've just begun reading Dune again. Epic book stays epic.

19. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

"A Game of Thrones" is one of the only books I've ever given up on without finishing it. I just could not be arsed. I was very aware that the plot-threads were just going to get longer, and longer, and longer, and never really get wrapped up. Just not for me. Strangely enough I suspect I'd enjoy the TV series more, which is an odd thing for me to say.

I've just finished "If Chins Could Kill" which is a sort-of memoir by Bruce Campbell and was very enjoyable, and also "The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro" which is the (true) story of an Italian football team from a tiny town who somehow got themselves into the big boys of Serie B. An American author spent the year following them as a result. The story is truly astounding and deserves to be read, but I came away thinking the author was a bit of a **** :hehe:

I've got a few books on my "to read" pile. Next up is either the Antony Beevor Second World War book or a thing about Bletchley Park.

20. walle

walle Minimodder

Just finished rereading "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea", I was 13 the first time I read it.