1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New to CrossfireX GPU advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acrasal.mills, 24 Sep 2012.

1. acrasal.mills

acrasal.mills What's a Dremel?

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Things to keep in mind:

- The two cards must be equal (the same model).

- A single £60 card performs much better than two £30 cards.

- That card doesn't even support CrossFire.

3. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

What are you looking to do with this card? If you are looking to play games (particularly recent releases) I would suggest staying away from this card. The 5450 is the budget 5000 series card, designed more for video playback more than anything else.

4. acrasal.mills

It clearly states on the box in top right corner crossfire. That's why I asked.

I would like to use it for triple screen gaming can you suggest an alternative card that would be suitable.

5. mrMonkeyChunks

mm vr is wrong in respect to the crossfire, this card does support it.

I assume you are looking at triple 1920x1080 screens? well, here is a link to bit-techs review of the 5450 at only 1280x800 linky

to properly support a decent surround set up and high settings you are going to have to spend quite a bit of money than £30 and you are better spending it on a single card rather than 2 less powerful ones.

this is in the ball park of what you might want to look at.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

You can link any 2 cards in the same series for crossfire, however they will Clock down to the slowest card, for example a 5870 and a 5850.

For triple screen gaming the minimum card your after is the 7970 or a 670 680 if you want anything like playable FPS.

7. jifbo

jifbo What's a Dremel?

Tom's hardware does a section on the best value graphics cards at various prices. They also suggest crossfire/SLI combinations which work just as well for the price.

Further thoughts are that you need a motherboard capable of SLI/Crossfire, and a decent enough PSU to run both cards.

8. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

While i'm just an observer, i've found this thread quite helpful thank you, especially the mention to Tom's hardware to comparison :)

9. mrMonkeyChunks

if you could give full details of your computer as it is at the moment that would be a great help too

10. acrasal.mills

My computer as stands is phenom II x4 oc to 4.1 GHz an Asus m4a88t-v evo mob 16gb corsair vengeance and an Asus 2gb GPU a few years old forgot model though. I'm looking for a new build though so current hardwares not relevent

11. mm vr

Fair enough, but I still don't see the point in running two such low end cards in CrossFire.

As far as I know, if you want dual graphics cards for three monitors, you can't run the cards in CrossFire.

12. acrasal.mills

OK then this is all advice I need as I'm unaware or what will do as first the GPU buying

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What's your budget?

14. acrasal.mills

I don't mind how much as long as its a good card that can do the job. As I can always save up.

15. mm vr

What's your screen resolution? Which games do you play?

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

5760x1080: Look at a GeForce GTX 660 Ti or GTX 670 range at least imo. That's HD 7870/7950 range.

I've only tested our Tytan with GTX 680 in BF3 and a few other games, but I recon you could get away with 1-2 notches lower just fine :) I can't see another significantly GPU hardcore title hitting the market in the next 6 months tbh.

17. acrasal.mills

I have a 1920 x 1080 at the minute but will invest in a few more once I have GPU. Looking for it to play cod bo2 and similar games and also racing sims too with best graphics possible.

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

COD doesn't need much GPU horsepower at all.

Why are you going SLI? A single powerful card will be a much smoother experience.

19. acrasal.mills

I was advice by a colleague to go sli but thought I would seek further advice before committing to it as I have always gone solo GPU in the past. I have been looking at the geforce 670 but found about a dozen varieties anyone able to explain the difference to me?

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

coming from someone thats been running crossfire for quite a while now.... dont do it.

Tags: