1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Should be fun :eeek: thanks Squigly. :)

:hehe::blush: Thanks nagyizom :D

I slapped myself with a big fish for not getting the update done. :eeek::D
    That last minute idea turning into a full night of design swept me away from the high drive mood I was in, :sigh: but I'm onto it today & also see I'm coming up to 4000 posts so I'll make the 4000th post a gooden. :rock:

:lol: Sorry :D I will try to get this next update posted ASAP. :dremel:

2. Phyonics

Phyonics What's a Dremel?

Not been on for a while. You've made really good progress and I love the spindicator, I can't wait to see it in action. The heat sink top renders look good, but I expect it to be a PITA to make using files. Having said that, if anyone can you can. Go go gadget Waynio!

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks Phyonics, I even ordered a special curved carving file for doing the piece but things haven't worked out for the zalman cooler, base was awful & it proved fatal for it. :( But that didn't work out, something else will. :dremel:

Not the update I was hoping to post.

I'll come clean, I've not been getting much done at all feeling too demotivated (think I just needed a little time out, this project is kicking my rear all over the place lol) so absolutely nowhere near the point of what I was hoping to get done for my 4000th post on bit-tech but that was making me avoid posting far too much & there is much to comment on in other logs & new ones, also need to make the "workshop" more of a workshop that isn't prone to turning into a big game of twister & where's wally insane edition where you need a microscope when trying to find misplaced bits. :D

Again with that flipping spindicator?, fraid so & we’re not there yet lol. :D

When I went to do the new wire work on the spindicator after getting some get up & go to continue with white LED's (3rd time doing the soldering BTW) I thought that copper ring idea was possibly a far fetched silly idea that would be near impossible to do & in fact a great doable idea suggested by Keir for connecting all the negative LED legs for the spindicator so went ahead measured & designed/printed it & got busy making it out of 1mm copper sheet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snipping LED legs.
    [​IMG]

Soldering wires of same length to the positive legs.
    [​IMG]

This bit was difficult & took the longest lining up all 12 legs through the 1mm holes of the copper ring, was a little frustrating. :D
    [​IMG]

But managed it & then soldered it in place along with a wire to go to the negative wire, the heat shrink wasn't good enough for making a snug fit so had to think of something else so I ordered some liquid electrical tape which I'll brush on any exposed joints (hopefully have that tomorrow).
    [​IMG]

The colour discs for changing the spindicator colours, made these from coloured transparent vinyl's (bought a bunch of a4 sheets) & 1mm acrylic sheet & will easily be as good as certain coloured LED's with the diffusion from the opal frosted acrylic (I hope :D) & are relatively easy to change the colours but not easy enough to change without some effort so plenty of testing will be done to find my favourite colour once it's whirling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also added 2 extra plain discs to make the switch need a tiny push instead of a fairly long push to function but might switch that for 1 because I think 2mm extra will be the perfect addition instead of 3mm, as it is it only requires a very faint push.
    [​IMG]

How it looks from behind when installed, looks a bit messy at the moment but it won't once I get it connected to the spindicator & use liquid electrical tape to keep solder joints from shorting out & get the lengths to perfect length & neatly routed fixed in place.
    [​IMG]

Space, did I mention how little there will be between the switch & PSU, look at the huge gap, spindicator was only just possible to be part of the marble switch. :D
    [​IMG]
    I'll likely make a PSU back plate that mounts to the psu & back panel to give a pinch of space, good thing I don't need to use the modular cables for the HTPC, the gap you see on the switch house is due to having 1 too many 1mm discs in the pipe so it's forcing it over a touch like said the marble only needs a faint push to function, this will change.

Decided to have a go at getting the Zalman CNPS12X Ultimate Performance Triple Fan CPU Cooler base flat because it was a very long way away from flat & had a really bad see saw effect because of 1 of the heat pipes in the middle being at a higher level than the others which created a 1mm see saw, my advice to anyone buying 1 of these coolers, put it on a surface you know is flat & check it out to see if it has a nasty see saw effect & then get something like a metal ruler to check the base out carefully visually, if it isn't flat get it exchanged rather than try to flatten it, I'll show why.

I have never had to file a heat sink base before, had to lap them before now but never had to file, that's as bad a sign as you can get of quality control gone AWOL.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, once I got it flat from filing I wanted to go a little further by now lapping it, I should have settled for a not flat base but a flatter than what it was base, this fat chunk of 10mm thick aluminium with smooth edges has been serving me nicely for sanding things perfectly flat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I kept checking for sweet flatness & it has a slight concave base also as a nice bonus on top of the wonky base & because of how much I had to file down it must have left virtually no pipe left to sand so a tiny hole formed on the worst heat pipe & a little liquid had come out, I knew it was knackered at this point so continued to see how bad it would get if I made the base completely flat just to see how badly made the base is on this.
    [​IMG]

Not good at all as it happens, I noticed another wet spot, joy.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, this is what happens when you make the base of this cooler perfectly flat, a little tiny hole wiped with tissue made it cave in very easily, awesome, not, so see this warning & if you buy 1 of these coolers & it isn't nice & flat possibly with 1 or more heat pipes bulging higher than the rest, get it exchanged & don't try to fix it yourself, it will cut you £60 to £70 short & leave you highly disappointed, could have pre ordered hitman absolution & assassins creed 3 with that & had change to buy I am alive, gutted.
    [​IMG]

I did also check it out for how you remove the fans if you want to mod them which most modders would want to I expect, the plastic strip mounts the fans are on have some kind of arrow plugs 1 at the top & 1 at the bottom that go into the fins so there might be notches cut out of the fins so they clip in place, free them & you free the fans allowing you to mod them. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zalman you let me down with your garbage quality control on your flagship air cooler & I'm £65 out of pocket leaving me quite gutted indeed, that could have bought more aluminium or a bunch of good games, doubt I'll buy Zalman again, it did cross my mind to buy another because it does look awesome for an air cooler but could have had the same damn issue so thought I'd have to be very stupid to buy another because even if it was flat it would have been garbage surface finish on the base in need of a good lapping.

I have totally jumped ship & ordered a nicely engineered Noctua NH-D14 which I'll mod to be a monster of a triple custom 140mm Akasa viper fans which kick a hefty 110 CFM & are PWM fans :D that might well match OK water cooling, that's how I lose the plot, whatever failed me I make something far more awesome, I don't know why, I just do, maybe I need to get the gutted feeling away from me fast & this seems to work. :D

The workshop sort out can wait until the project is complete, this update wouldn't have been posted today if the Zalman cooler didn't show serious flaw & would have had the HTPC & stand altogether probably in a week or so, so see you in a week, at least I got what was going to be a special 4000th post done & I can comment on logs again, :) was just aiming to make it an excellent update, the full HTPC & stand & spindicator whirling away & sweet custom all aluminium fan, oh well, next update. :thumb:

A bunch of the power section shots since I made the marble flush to the inset panel, I wonder if people will get sick of seeing this particular piece lol but if they do there is the anodising contrast thing to come & it will all need a very good sanding session before that, still looks a bit rough but I do like it, how bout you. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More as soon as I have more to show. :)

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Hmm... why didn't you do two copper-rings for the LEDs? Or even more easier, why didn't you use a PCB to assemble it?

It's fairly easy to engrave a PCB as simple as that with a Dremel :)

5. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Just reading your post, you could try and contact Zalman about your cooler and see if they're willing to send you another because the last one wasn't fit for purpose? If it wasn't completely flat then it wasn't.

It just gives them the chance to say that they're willing to put it right.

6. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Spindicator does look pretty sweet... Do you have to take it completely apart to change color? Or do you just slip the back out? I bet it looks really cool in the dark :thumb:

What you experienced is why I tend to stay away from direct contact heat pipe coolers. I know they work a little better than a copper base, but having that extra bit to be able to lap flat is nice.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

All the positive LED legs go to 12 different wires on a controller so all have to stay individual, PabloFunky said something similar :D I'm taking baby steps on electronics still or a newb rather & I'll only ever really get to know it if I study plenty :D riekmarharg2 made the spindicator part with the board, chips, resistors & molex with numbered wires for me with instructions infinitely neater than what I'd have managed, :D I've got good at wire to wire soldering, plenty of room for improvement on wire to surface soldering though, I just added the LED's & a bit of soldering, been modding for a bit now & only just learning soldering :lol: the shame. :blush::D

I'll give it a try when I'm rested Lance but I didn't take a detailed shot of how bad it was, they either missed this one on quality control or only checked everything except the base, I can't afford to be throwing £65 away for nothing & not even a sponsored modder still so this is a stinger but a stinger I'm kinda willing to take for being an idiot thinking I could fix it when it was in such bad shape instead of getting straight onto where I bought it from, scan, a hard lesson I think.
    I'll post an update about it if zalman help though, I'll contact them tomorrow about it.

Unmount it from underneath the front, take the marble out, pull the coloured disc out with something a little sticky & change, marble back in & mount again, looks pretty good even without a light I think so can't wait to see it fired up, :D cheers Mosquito. :)

Direct heat pipes, I didn't even consider it might be an issue with it being a premium air cooler, as soon as I realised it needed filing I should have been straight onto scan really. :duh:

8. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Shouldn't have been a problem... I just don't like the risk involved :lol:

9. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

thats looking great, tobad with the cooler, try some copperputty, it might help :)

10. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Don't get discouraged mate. I'd have not bothered with that cooler though, they would have got it straight back. The answer to the question above is NO. That assembly is a thing of wonder and beauty. Really. It's totally out there and completely original. The quality is top notch. You should be dam proud (and I think you are) to be it's author. ;)

11. RcRon7

RcRon7 What's a Dremel?

Waynio, for that heat pipe issue. Next time I would try making a flat plate that matches the curve of heat pipes. Use a scrap piece of metal. May not be as effective for cooling but it would allow you to use the HS without worrying about damaging the pipes. You would also have to modify the mounting brackets, but I don't think what would be a challenge for you.

I truly can't wait to see that power button in action.

12. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

That really sucks about the cooler. I have a Zalman cooler and I have never had any problems with it
    Nice idea with the color discs. I really can't wait to see the Spindicator in action now :D

13. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Too bad with the cooler Waynio... But hey, it´s only money. The Spindicator with the marble looks awsome btw!

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Your right, seems to be hit & miss for the quality of the base. :)

Thanks KoSoVaR :) I'll patch it up but the 2 damaged heat pipes won't work anywhere near as effective as undamaged ones, OK reports of it when working with all 6 heat pipes fresh out of the box, not sure how good it will be with just 4 working at full potential, but I wouldn't be surprised if it cools as good as a stock one that isn't flat but wanted to see how much better it would cool if all 6 was perfectly flat, my guess is it might take the cooling performance crown for quiet air cooling while looking very cool at the same time, :D wasn't meant to be though so this is why I ordered a noctua cooler, leaves me a bit short but at least things can still move forward, I'll be doing a performance test on a thermalright TRUE & prolimatech megahalems both in push/pull fans & the 2 3rds zalman & noctua with stock fans vs the triple 140 mod at a later date on my old 775 mobo. :)

Thanks for the encouragement & compliment Attila, appreciated :) I try to not get discouraged & seeing what people like you & others manage to do with what you have after plenty of practice is highly inspiring :) once I make the workshop more functional I'll be in much better spirits, too much twister & where's wally lol, the twister doesn't bother me much & improves my physical agility lol other than when taking pictures which makes it a hassle but the where's wally bit really does bother me :D not good going to do some modding feeling enthusiastic & instead spending a few hours searching for a certain bit & by the time you find it your enthusiasm has gone walkies & too many sessions like that can make you wonder why you bother lol. :duh:

Bit more worktop space & places to put things, better positioned daylight bulb lighting & another electric socket & things will be great, 1 of my neighbors installs posh kitchens fairly regular & I asked them about getting kitchen worktops cheap, they said the next one they remove heading for a tip I can have for free so that's just awesome, will save me a nice amount on materials, even the cheapest kitchen worktops are a bit of an expense & they make for excellent very sturdy workshop worktops, already got a nice big off cut sat on top of the mobile workbench, I'll use that for making the scroll saw table & maybe a mobile worktop I can move around, the space in that cellar room is all there, just need to make good use of it. :D

That did cross my mind & would have worked quite nice really if done well but I chose the wrong option & it's a bit of a write off now if I want really good air cooling, not much point in 2 3rds of it's cooling potential unless it was being used on a low power cpu so would still perform good, I'd love to make my own air cooler with long fat heat pipes, might have a go next year. :D
    Got the liquid electrical tape so I'll get it completed now & hopefully have pictures & a video of it in action either tomorrow or not long after. :)
    Cheers Ron :)

It does, I do like Zalman products, they strive for awesome looks & nearly always very nicely made I believed they made one with awesome looks & good quiet performance this time but it was very flawed on the base, shame but this just means I have to make something more awesome. :D:rock::dremel:
    Cheers Sarakon :)

True :) thanks quizz, I like how the reflections going on inside the marble make the vinyl disc make the marble look as if it's red even from side views & that's without the lighting so am definitely as eager as anyone else to see what it looks like lit up. :D

Got the Noctua NH-D14 & 3 Akasa Viper 140mm fans waiting to be modded, checked the base & it looks excellent :D:dremel: the viper fans are a bright in your face yellow, same as the gamer rig 120mm side fans that will of course have to change :hehe: when I get chance to I'll make a basic model of the Noctua heat sink so I can design the triple 140mm fan mount which might not even touch the heat sink & mount in an alternative easy to remove way. :)

The liquid electrical tape came also so I can get the spindicator completed tonight & try to have a video & some pictures of it in action tomorrow woo hooo. :D

Also been inspired by Paultan with him painting his motherboard bits black but I'm going to try paint pens out first on my 775 spare system, give all the smooth plastic bits a faint sanding, blast out any dust with compressed air & use a black posca paint pen to colour, there are better ones than posca but not in the UK, spray would be a more complete covering so might turn to doing that if the pens don't do a good job of it, would certainly be nice to make your own hardware colour schemes, I thought about permanent markers but I don't like the purple tint & shine they produce so aren't a good enough option, true colours or not at all. :D

15. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Nice work Waniyo :thumb: I am just teaching myself soldering as well and I have heaps of fine stuff to do (led rgb strips 1.5mm contact pad x4 with 1mm gap between pads x about 40 joins) lots of fun. That power switch is going to look awesome!! :dremel:

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks bluc :) that sounds a bit intense for a newb :D you will get good fast though with that lot. :clap::dremel:

Got the soldering completed on the spindicator but I used the liquid electrical tape & I really shouldn't have used the included brush, it's made a hell of a mess, you'll see later :lol: but it should do the intended effect of insulating it all but it sure isn't pretty. :D

The brush is terrible for applying it to something intricate like this so the whole back of the housing is pretty much caked in the stuff, good thing it will only be seen when I show it. :hehe:

But YES this means I'll be posting pictures & a video of it in action later today providing it works, man I hope it does. :eeek::D

It says on the product to do at least 2 coats with 10 minutes between each one, I just did 2 coats but it went on in big globs so that should be plenty thick enough but might take longer than 4 hours before it's usable, I'll keep checking it throughout the day & if it seems good I'll power up. :)

Checked up on it & think it's had long enough to dry now, just over 6 hours, time to try it out. :)

Last edited: 28 Sep 2012
  17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

If I had unlimited funding, you'd be the person I'd contact to make me a case! End of line, End of discussion! :thumb:

18. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I think if we all had unlimited funding, then Waynio would have too much work to keep up with :p

19. patara

patara life is wonderful

[​IMG]

I will use idea with light-emitting diodes good idea:thumb:

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:blush::D Thanks Angel :) if I could magically speed right up it wouldn't cost much, I have considered making plain cases for modders to do their own thing with them but I dunno, could do that a lot faster though. :D

:hehe: Cheers Sarakon :)

Thanks patara, it was riekmaharg2 who suggested that & was him who made the complicated electronics bit of the spindicator for me, I thought I wouldn't be able to do the copper ring but managed it OK. :)

All righty then :D something many have been itching to see. :D

:D Narrowed down from 120 lol reason for a couple of shots of each angle is to show how the light is shifting around.

Liquid electrical tape, this stuff is straight from world of goo. :D
    [​IMG]

Spindicator & all the assembly soldered together at last. :)
    [​IMG]

I really should have used a fine brush instead of the big blompy one attached to the lid, the back of the housing ended up a heck of a mess but it's all insulated so I'm OK with that. :)
    [​IMG]

It got worse lol.
    [​IMG]

Moment of truth & the spindicator spins but 1 of the LED's doesn't seem to be working, 11 o clock no worky but because of the diffusion I can't tell. :D
    [​IMG]

Testing all the coloured discs before mounting it in the case.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted & went with the light green disc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the colours are just too powerful, yellow & dark green, what I think this needs is possibly a bit of tinting film adding to tone it down a touch possibly & instead of a 1mm acrylic padding disc I should replace it with an aluminium 1 with a pattern in it, maybe a very thin spiral, I'll do a few different ones, also bear in mind this is just nowhere near as good as it looks to the eye, in the dark there is a nice glow on the panels & the only way I can capture that is with the camera on a higher exposure which makes the marble look far too bright but the marble looks like how it does where the glow isn't captured but to the eye you see both nicely.

And a video, not good quality but it shows it a bit better than static images.