1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 4-Way SLI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by voids sleet, 27 Sep 2012.

1. voids sleet

voids sleet What's a Dremel?

hello there

ok so ive been looking around for info on quad sli, now i know that the 690 and 680 can be put into quad but when it comes to the 670 i am getting quite a bit of mixed info.

simple does the 670 have the option to go quad?

Building a nice new pc at the moment and it is going to be tri sli for sure and quad is overtime permits it, now there's £4 difference between quad 670 and 690 at scan so everything in me is telling me to go 690 IF i get the time in

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Quad 670 is theoretically possible, from what I know of Nvidia cards, but you'd honestly have better luck going with two 690s, even with the SLI problems that might arise, just because you've got so much less chance of it not working.

I'm more curious as to what on earth you're doing that needs four 670s? Are you running three Dell U3011 screens or something of similar resolution?

3. voids sleet

thanks for that...

im going to be running either a single Dell U3011 or setting up a surround but in all honestly this is some what of a "dream" pc for myself so to say

4. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Seriously, I would not waste your money on 4 GPU's.

Buy a pair of 670's and use the money that you would've spent on the other two cards to watercool the whole system / make it look nice. Then you will have a dream PC. Four cards will not give you any noticeable increase in performance over a pair, unless you are running a silly high resolution. And even then, it will would have a very limited impact.

Certainly for a single 30" monitor, there is just no need whatsoever.

5. voids sleet

ok that defo sounds better then what im considering thanks

ill have a look see

6. dead beat

No problem. It will also mean that you have an advanced cooling solution in place, for any future upgrades.

7. voids sleet

Yeah the only thing i have left to "get" for this build is the gpu / gpu's, OS and psu

I'd like 4 gpus but like stated 2 is enough, 3 is overkill and 4 is just :jawdrop:

everything to the moment is air cooled untill i get my head around watercooling, but that is a step i want to take

8. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Officially, no NVidia single-GPU card supports more than 3-way. Not saying it can't be done, but as it is not officially supported you would get no official help if something were to fail.

9. Deders

Deders Modder

Apparently 2x 690's in quad don't yet have the drivers optimised yet to play BF3 smoothly, it's a bit of a waste tbh, can't see why you'd need more than 2 GPU's in SLI.

10. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

cashing out on 4 high end gpus is a bad idea.

in 2 years time, technology will have moved on. And you will have spent £1500~

a much better idea would be to get sli 670s. they will still handle everything you can throw at them. 4gpus is honestly a waste unless you are a billionaire.

11. dead beat

Even then, it's still a waste lol.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Buy a 690 rather than 2 670s, then you always have the option of another if you go 3D/Surround

690SLI review

If you can afford it why not eh :D