1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other If we MUST have reboots...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hrodwulf666, 6 Oct 2012.

1. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

I've been thinking about games I'd like to see rebooted. It looks like the worlds of Gaming and Cinema are obsessed with Reboots, to them new Ideas are risky and unwelcome... SO if we MUST have reboots what are the game's you would like to see rebooted.

Personally I would like to see.

Hidden & Dangerous 3. I don't mind of its a WWII job either (over saturation? Bollocks There's no zombies in it to speak of!) Although I'd like to see what they would do with the H&D formula with the modern SAS.

Rune 2: There's no good Viking games period, Rune had a good go with the mythology, But I'd like to see a good well designed bleak and misty fjords and shields type game still steeped in lore but firmly set in the world of man. If a studio covers this it always ends up in Disneyland (eh Codemasters?). It should be realistic with Open Oceans... Snowy mountain sides...Bleak forests...Muddy Villages, Bloody fierce combat. Games like Skyrim don't really deliver this, sure they touch on it, but are diluted to provide other diverse experiences. I really enjoyed the arena based multi-player that Rune delivered too!

Unreal 3: I got really tired of the Unreal Tournament motif...REALLY tired and as it got more candy colored the more I grew sick of it, Gears of War just disappointed me so much in terms of its over stylized design and I didn't empathize with the world or the characters they created. Now I got on with Unreal 2 much better. Epic stopped making games like this a long time ago so did many studios. Sure it doesn't hold a candle to ME (but ME can't even hold a candle to itself?) but I think we could use another classic focused FPS space opera. The Unreal series kind of stalled and was dropped in favor of more throwaway experiences. They built up a universe and it's lore and then they threw it all away.

Project IGI: I really enjoyed this series, I liked the palpable realism of the first game and also it's slightly Bondesque finish. It conveyed the daunting nature of being a lone special forces operative. It had atmosphere in spades and really forced you to think how to approach a situation being vastly outnumbered and with limited kit. A varied set of maps and locations served to make this game really standout at the time of its release and the sound design bought the environments alive and gave a great sense of space and tension. Absolutely screaming for a reworking!!!!!

Soldier of Fortune: These games were tongue in cheek and possibly offensive, but just so damn good for me Raven owned the FPS crown at this point. SOF1 was unbelievable but really, really fun. SOF2 was wondrous, one a hell of a ride. The series didn't deserve the treatment it got with 'Payback'.
    I might be sentimental, but I don't believe that the Military Shooter genre is over saturated...Yet I DO believe that those that they put out are sub par. I'm not sure what went wrong. But a committed SOF rebooted in the right hands could help put it right. Mullins?

Others:
    Ground control
    System Shock
    Thief

That's just my opinion. What games would you like to see rebooted?

Last edited: 6 Oct 2012
  2. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Knight Lore

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Dune, the original. Cryo did a really good job considering it ran on 286 and EGA.
    Dune 2, although revolutionary and very successful, was a totally different experience.

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I was going to say Ground Control, but in all fairness, Wargame: European Escalation is pretty much Ground Control 1 and 2 combined but in a cold war era setting.

I was rather happy with the Syndicate "re-boot" and see vast potential for what they did with it. A good follow up to really get the IP going again would be more than plausible.

5. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'd love to see just a graphically updated version of Anachronox, just because that game was so damn good.

Add Dungeon Keeper II to that list, too, Heck Populous as well. And just about every other Bullfrog game.

6. rma

rma Minimodder

OUTLAWS!!!!

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Oni.

Awesome game, nuff said.

8. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

Freelancer. I tried playing the X series but it made my brain hurt too much, so a simple DX11 remake of Freelancer would make me splooge.

9. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

X-Wing & Tie Fighter from Lucasarts, simply awesome games, especially Tie Fighter. But, as they are challenging space sims I doubt there is any room in todays console dominated market for them.

There were some old classic games that could do with a reboot but considering what they did to Syndicate I think they should just leave them alone and churn out another reskinned clone of some on the rails generic shooter for the console masses and leave me to wallow in my fond (and probably heavily rose tinted) memories.

10. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

None it's just lazy and a quick cash in.

The most incredible games ever haven't been made yet, not interested in re-making old ones.

11. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I kind of agree with erratum1, but I also agree that it would be great to see a decent version of X-Wing or Tie Fighter done properly (not just some mindless shooter). There was something about that game back in the day and I think it would still translate well.

Everyone secretly wants to be Darth Vader and fly a tie fighter surely?!?!?

Lolled at Knight Lore - loved that game back in the day - don't think it would work now though!

12. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Freespace 3: We need to know why the Shivans made Capella go supernova, and what Admiral Bosch really was doing in the nebulae.

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

All of these.

What I don't want to see rebooted is Devil May Cry. :( But they're doing so anyway...

14. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Half Life :worried:

15. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

New gfx engine and reskin Everquest please. Leave everything else. Oh, go on then... Add a new class and tradeskill...

16. HechEff

HechEff What's a Dremel?

Missionforce: Cyberstorm

Even if it means having to watch your 'derms scream and decay in high definition (of course, from a direct hit to the Life Support).

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Black and White? Dungeon Keeper?

Truth be told ALL of the Bullfrog games deserve some sort of reboot.

18. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

If I was ruler of the world, this would have already been done! :thumb:

Also in that mix:
    Feelancer
    Theme Hospital (ya its bullfrog, but I wanted to give it special mention)
    C&C (not this crap we have now - the "old school" style)

/2cents

19. defined

defined Botch-Job

Grim Fandango...!!!!

20. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Yeah, I want another RTS with proper base building, planetary annihilation is about the only thing on the radar at the moment :(