1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U EA blasted for selling the same FIFA game two years in a row

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SimonStern, 7 Oct 2012.

1. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Fifa_year++;
    shipIt();

Pliqu3011 and Bogomip like this.
  3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

This was the Wii version, but I love this quote;

EA "mostly dodged the question" when approached by Wired, but said that FIFA 13 has "the same great gameplay" and that EA "felt it was important to continue to offer fans the opportunity to play an authentic football experience on Wii." A spokesperson confirmed that there were no new modes or features in the Wii version of FIFA 13.

Shameful.

4. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Ah no - it has to be ++Fifa_year, otherwise you end up with a temporary variable and that wastes money!

5. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

It is shameful, and they are shameless. I know I would be pretty mad if that sort of thing was my bag and found it was the same game that I just paid $50-$60 for. And then the hard time they would give trying to return an open game...

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It's impressive. Shameful, but impressive.

7. B_HERB

B_HERB What is this..A CENTER FOR ANTS?!

This is why I don't by any sports games at all. It's a crime that companies like EA can get away with essentially selling the same game every single year with roster names being the only changes (it's the same with the Madden series).

But then again....they wouldn't do it if the general public didn't fall for it....EVERY time:wallbash:

8. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Why not just go out and play sports? :p

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Because some of us have severe health conditions and can't do stuff like that?

On the topic of changes in the game, that is shockingly abysmal what they did with the Wii version.
    Especially considering that the PS3/360/PC versions have had fairly good overhauls with added features, graphics updates, engine updates, new online content and so on. I wonder why they felt the Wii wasn't worth changing... :\

10. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I thought they'd been doing this for most of the past decade on every system?

11. suragh

suragh Derp

That's just unacceptable. EA's biggest gaming franchise is Sport, correct me if I am wrong.

12. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

"EA blasted for selling the same FIFA game 13 years in a row"

FTFY

13. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

How are you all expecting them to drastically change the game each year?

14. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

What are EA meant to do? Not release one every year? Pro evo is there in competition, yet FIFA is still king, if it's that bad people wouldnt buy it.

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've always wondered this about sports games and the like. How are any of them any different apart from minor things like players switching teams? Unless the mechanics or the graphics change it is ultimately the same game as always.

That most people fall for it, and that it has taken this long for people to rage about it is mind-boggling to me.

What makes you think futtball 2012 and futtball 2013 would be any different apart from silly things like players placements? You guys have been being raped for years happily and only now you wise up? I'm sorry if i seem troll-like, but it is hilarious to me. (I have my tin-undergarments on)

16. GoodBytes

But but but but... you have some big shot soccer/football/basketball player on the box art.

17. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

To be fair to EA, they don't really have to add stuff as FIFA is already better than PES, so all they have to do is make sure they get exclusive rights to players and teams etc. Most of the modes that get added are only added for the sake of adding something, and the feature that most my friends use is the ultimate team, where up to date and balanced team info is more useful than new features. Most people at my school only play fifa for the online play and the ultimate team so I know they wouldn't really care about new features. COD is exactly the same, people know what they're buying, and still do it every year because they want the new content rather than features, and to keep up to date.

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

That's what I was thinking. Sports games are almost always the same year to year except a few minor changes. That's why I never buy them new, I could easily buy and older sports game for cheaper and have nearly the same experience

that being said, I've never liked or bought any sports games because they are boring ^__^

19. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

All this time, when we said "it's the same game", no-one listened.

This type of franchise is prime for DLC. Sell the base game engine and extort whatever for component leagues/year updates over that.

rFactor's model is good, you buy an engine and modders supply content. Ok so it may actually be better as you don't pay for dlc.

20. GoodBytes

There is a lot of licensing cost related to these games. I won't be surprised is EA has to pay a fee for using the same color and style uniform as the team for this year, let alone names of players and such.

DLC could have been done. Like release a new game every 2-3 years with DLC in between. This will allow more time for new feature, and everyone wins. But sadly these games are just a cash grab.