1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Great update Darkened! :thumb:

This is generally called a cable gland.

2. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Awesome update. Your photography and lighting has gotten even better. This thread should have more views and comments!

I was talking E.E.L. Ambiense over skype, he brought up your return, we agreed it's nice to your project revived. We love doing scratch builds, but modding cases is a true Passion. Case Modding is not just about expressing artist creativity, but it also involves problem solving. You're challenged to engineer and innovate within the given space constraints. We open new cases as if we're handed a Three Dimensional Puzzle to solve. It's exciting to remove the side panel and peer inside a new case for the first time. "What are my objectives?!"

and Thank you so much for your comment!

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Stop using all the ideas I pinched from you 4 years ago for my V1000 :waah:

That pump mound is fab :thumb:

4. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon Minimodder

Really liking your updates. Awesome build. :thumb:

5. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Spoke with Lian Li Rep last night about a future collaboration. Got on subject of community forums and encouraged them to make an effort to have a Rep more accessible to us for getting feedback from us, I told him to check out your project :thumb:

6. Razbit

Razbit What's a Dremel?

Read through the whole thread, gotta say you rock, dude :thumb:

Keep up the good work, I wanna see it ready :D

7. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Just a quick q&a for now. Sorry about the small delay with my answers and also with updates. I've been repairing a few computers and re-installing my own workstation during the weekend and generally been quite busy. I should be back on track this coming week.

@Weijjy

You know the "monster is in the details" :hehe: And actually I'm just getting started with the stuff that isn't even going to be seen. More on that probably on the next update...

@IanW

Darn, that's it, a cable gland! I've used that word many times before, but I just drew a total blank when writing that update. That's what I get for not working on the monster for so long :D

@mnpctech

The improvement with my photography is probably largely due to the fact that photography has become my main hobby during these years. Before I used a Fuji S5600 (which feels like a toy camera now :hehe:) with strictly natural light and maybe an Olympus E-520 with a bounced flash with a couple of the last updates before the long hiatus.

These photos now are a courtesy of my Canon 1Ds MkII or 7D and mostly used lens has been the 24-70L so far. Some of them are also with the 70-200 2.8 L II. I'm also using a self made shooting table with a seamless white background. Usually I have a 120x80cm softbox overhead and a shoot-through umbrella or a small softbox as a fill. Those are lit with Elinchrom studio flashes. PP in Lightroom and if necessary PS.

With the views I can't be nothing but satisfied, but I'm with you on the commenting. It feels that this place has gone a bit quiet since I last was more active here.

I'm also with you on the scratch build / case modding thing. I probably could do a scratch build (although it would probably take even longer than this has), but a totally different mindset is needed when you are constrained by the chassis itself (that isn't entirely true since you can go in the direction you want with a case, even turning it into a scratch build with only a piece of the original case). The thing for me is that I've been doing this for so long (at work and as a hobby) that being "restricted" by a case is where my mindset pretty much is and I'm quite comfortable there.

Suggesting this project for a Lian Li rep to read is a major honor. Thank you! I do wonder if he has checked this thread out though :worried:

@Mankz

Don't worry, I should be taking the monster on a new course now that the shroud work is almost finished. Let's see if I can give you more ideas that you can utilize in the future...

@Mr Armageddon

Thank you :thumb:

@Razbit

I was wondering why you've been so silent for a while, but reading the whole thing kind of explains it :D

I'll do my very best to get the monster done.

That concludes the q&a for tonight, I'll try to deliver an update as soon as possible.

Stay tuned...

Darkened

8. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Lots 'o win in this one. It's easy to see you got a better camera, but it's even easier to see that your photography SKILLS got much better.

Oh, you're using a light tent for the drain valve/fill port shots on the previous page, right?

9. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Thanks Nutman,

When this project started I bought my first own digital camera and it soon became more than just taking photos for this log. As cameras go, I moved from Fuji on to Olympus land with E-520 and E-3 following that. Now with Canon I've gone from 7D (still own it tough) to the 1Ds MkII.

During this period I've taken about 500k photos, so I'd be a bit miffed if it wouldn't show in any way :hehe: Seriously though, I'm really struggling at the studio still, but I also learn something every time and the nice thing is that here my two passions meet quite nicely.

For the drain valve etc. shots, no light tent was used. Just a shooting table with a seamless plastic backdrop and a massive softbox over it. Don't remember about fill for the single parts, but it's possible. I'll try to take a photo of the setup at some point.

I'm actually off to the shop now, but only to tidy the place up for now. Tomorrow might be a modding day again :)

Darkened

10. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

A photo of the setup would certainly be cool. :)

Thanks for the explanation.

11. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey all, this is just a "public announcement" :hehe:

I'm having issues with my back, which sadly happens pretty much every year when the weather gets cold enough. It's starting to feel better, but not so well yet that it could take hours of standing at the shop. I'll get back to work as soon as I can stay upright long enough :)

Darkened

12. timerhan

timerhan What's a Dremel?

Cool! Very cool!
    Like a shot, very professional!
    Use more orange acrylic, looks amazing!:clap:

13. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Good stuff dude. Keep it up!

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Time to set up a modding recliner.:thumb:
    -No, wait...That's what I call my toilet. You need a REAL modding recliner.
    Stay well at any rate. We'll be here.

siliconfanatic likes this.
  15. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Thanks guys, actually my back issues are no more an issue (for the time being) and I should be up and modding really soon. I have two intervertebral disc protrusions on my lower back and they cause these issues once in a while.

The next update will probably "air" in 2013 though, but it should be a good one.

This is a bit late, but Merry Christmas to all and also a prosperous new year :)

Darkened

16. Razbit

Razbit What's a Dremel?

Tapatalk informed me that Darkened had posted in the om thread, and I thought: "update update update!!!!" But not yet..

it's good to hear your back is ok again :)

Happy modding and holidays!
    Raz out

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Teelzebub likes this.
  17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Merry Christmas, and...

bumping to tease the hell out of Mankz.:D

Teelzebub likes this.
  18. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

luckily also the beginning of other epic projects just starting to spool up:rock::dremel: im lucky to have found this one, it might sustain my update hunger 'till the other, just-fueled up mods start to take off ;). if cheaps slips up and forgets to troll fer updates, then, by god i will :p

next time. next time :hehe:

Last edited: 29 Dec 2012
  19. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Just read through your whole log Darkened! I'm impressed with your work (especially your marked improvment in photograhy!) and I'm glad you've came back to complete this work :)

20. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

*cough* *cough* ahem *cough* :dremel:

Tags: