1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD's A10-5800K hits 7.3GHz under liquid nitrogen

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Oct 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Ha, thats awesome!

Looking to do a build with this chip for a friend...dont think ill OC it however.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Built a pc using the A8 5600K at the weekend and it's a cracking chip, still won't use it for my own build because they are to slow compared to the Intel chips for what I do but for general use and mild gaming these are fine.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Wondering when they are going to hit the 10Ghz marker. That's like breaking the sound barrier in land speed record terms...

5. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Overclocked to 7.3GHz and still isn't faster than an i3 :p

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

So damn funny if you think of it. Speed is nothing without torque :)

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

"two of the processor's four cores needed to be disabled - crippling the performance for multithreaded applications."

This maybe stupid, but if two half the cores are disabled but the rest that remain are running at over double the speed, would that not increase performance?

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

At that speed, it won't be able enough to actually do anything.
    It's done purely to see the maximum mhz it can do.

9. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I was thinking more in theory, so in the future, what would be better? 2 cores @ 7.3ghz or 4 cores at 3ghz

10. GeorgeStorm

In theory completely depends on the application, and whether it can actually take advantage of multiple cores :)

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And whether the application scales linearly with CPU speed, of course - which isn't always the case. For some applications, it'll be faster running two threads at half the speed; for others, one thread at full speed is preferable. See also: the reason why Hyperthreading can improve performance for some applications, despite having no real extra processor to work with.

12. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Given that a core is not a completely discrete CPU, i.e. there is resource sharing I would imagine that the higher clock speed would win. Even if a program could use 100% of each core it should still be slower in theory.

Thing is, it will always be easier to add more cores than more speed, so its fairly irrelevant. You'd need a 6.8Ghz dual core to match a stock 3570k. If you can do that, you could just make a 5Ghz quad core for less money which would have even more performance.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

The Ghz race stopped for a reason, Niether Intel or AMD could keep up with the cooling demands of the chips at the speeds they were pushing, Not to mension the huge power draw from the system.

Dout we will ever see a 5ghz release chip from AMD or Intel in the near future.

14. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

So do these big overclocks have an affect for those that don't overclock, in terms of research etc? Like the space race making technology move along faster or is it all just for fun?

15. GeorgeStorm

Companies more and more are hiring 'pro overclockers' to help them with new products.
    Technologies that are in top of the line boards now to do this kinda thing filter down through to lower end products over time.
    So while it is for fun, I think there is a benefit.

16. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Someone had better tell AMD that the megahertz wars ended a long time ago. Actual performance is the name of the game.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I agree, but willy waving has been a pass-time for a long time. If it wasn't overclockers wouldn't bother.

10Ghz is the mark to hit. Intel is clearly better in most arenas, but it will be a long time before they wave their willy in that particular arena.

Me? I want performance per cycle. But that is a bit like a women saying she prefers a guy with stamina, to a guy with a big...thingamy. It may well be true, but bragging rights are everything.

18. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Mmm, liquid nitrogen, pretty pointless exercise but, makes more sense than drinking the stuff :rolleyes: