1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

WOW!:jawdrop:

BRAVOOO!:clap:

2. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Great work...great planning....great execution.

Its all there.

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

B Negative just said it all! QFT! :thumb:

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks KoSoVaR :thumb:

Thanks B NEGATIVE. :)
    I have to say after looking at that competition you asked help on & others other people have asked help for it kind of depresses me seeing average & below average projects with loads of votes & many nice projects with few, voting is so flawed on modding competitions, shame, yours is a nice one & many others are good yet lagging way behind some m'eh projects, means it's all about the networking & not the modding. :duh:

I think bit-tech should do ping pong balls for all the nominees in moty so it doesn't get abused, every single nominee would be in with a chance then, I think that's a great thing because it isn't forced. :D

Numbered ping pong balls in a big clear jar, someone like Antony wearing gloves & a blind fold picking 3 lucky nominees out on a live stream = no negative drama that can leave a bad smell in the air which I really do think hurts the modding community. :rock::cooldude:

Leave motm as it is though, sure people campaign on that too but there is less at stake & people step that up 10 gears for moty because of the prizes. :)
    Other competitions, m'eh. :hehe:

:) Thanks Angel :cooldude:

Come on BT, ping pong balls Cheesecake. :D

I changed the optical cover to use a 10mm plate for a cleaner look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making the edges perfectly flat by filing & using the disc sander.
    [​IMG]

Applied the top & bottom templates.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilling nearly all the way through the optical plate leaving about 2mm as an alternative mounting point since I changed the design slightly.
    [​IMG]

Had lots of tapping to do in this session.
    [​IMG]

This is a sweet method for drilling exactly where you want to, 3mm hole, 3mm drill bit, give it a tap with something & it leaves a nice mark for drilling, just as good as drilling through a stack of panels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the 6mm hole I drilled which leads to 2mm depth 3mm hole for alternative mount point.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In place.
    [​IMG]

Fixed in square bars & round bars, used m3 grub screws in the round bar that go straight through the panel & into the square bars & then marked & drilled countersunk holes to fix the round bars.
    [​IMG]

Cut some 10mm round bar with hack saw, made the ends perfectly flat on the disc sander, drilled, tapped & added grub screws so they go through the panel & into the optical plate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I called it a wrap at this point, think I started at about midnight & finished up around 4PM, was knackered. :D

It's been extra difficult with the design having 3/8" for the 10mm plate, it's a tight design so that tiny difference makes quite a difference on most of these bits I've been doing & I really should have tweaked the design as soon as I realised this when I got the materials but didn't so have had quite a bit of messing to make it all work still but once this HTPC is done everything else should be more straight forward, I've not been fully tuned in with doing this lately, I just got to go at it like I did last night but much more regular if I want this complete before December. :)

Ping pong balls :D you know it makes sense. :hehe: Yes I'm laughing about that but I am serious. :D

It avoids a complex scoring system that would take hawk eyed judges weeks to go through all the projects, I wouldn't fancy doing that & pretty sure no one else would neither & it cuts people who treat it as if they are running for president out of winning by default by campaigning treating it like a business instead of a fun thing, many of us don't & never will do that so we are guaranteed to lose & if you are good enough to be nominated for moty you should be good enough to place in the top 3. :dremel:

I don't see how anyone could get bitter about that.

But if you think I'm a dick then just keep me out of competitions, as they are, they aren't fun or good for morale. :sigh:

I will continue to mod though & I will miss being in the moty celebration of kickass projects, but I'd rather be out of it than it strip anymore morale from me & others. :)

Fifas likes this.
  5. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

How is it that every time I come across this worklog, I have to browse like 10 pages back just to be able to keep up? It's moving too fast for me, man! I can't mod and follow this at the same time. Gotta make a choice... hmmm..... :worried:

Looks like a great drill press you got there. Which one is it, how much was it and where did you buy it?

6. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Aluminium Spree!

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks Mads, all the slacking sessions has made a big time allowance I set myself become a short one so trying hard to get this wrapped up before 2013 now, I don't want to get into doing projects that take me years to do unless it was making something massively ambitious like a vehicle or something extreme, if I was working this would take at the very least 3 years unless I had panels professionally cut nice & fast which wouldn't have left me mentally exhausted from using so much concentrated focus lol, what I have done in this project really is not healthy modding, it's good but it's not very good for mental health I think, I should recover OK though with a good dose of fun or a nice little holiday after it, even a break somewhere in this country to let my eyes soak up some nice nature to restore something in my mind to feel good again would sort me out. :D

The drill press is a Clarke CDP350V, usually goes for around £250 but I found a nice new one on ebay for £200 shipping included & man it's a heavy bit of kit, heavier than the scroll saw which is heavy.

Cons
    The LED RPM display only flashes up when turned on & doesn't seem to do anything lol, the laser needs aligning properly because it is far off the mark so still have to play it by eye but to be honest it makes it very difficult to focus nicely on the laser beams for me so I wouldn't use that anyway even if it was aligned properly, 16mm chuck but for using up to 2mm drill bits it needs adapters, 2.5mm & 3mm can be a little tricky to place in the chuck properly.

Pros
    The depth it has with it being a floor mounted one is fantastic & really like the height adjustment being operated by loosening the table & cranking the handle & it has a nice extension table with a roll bar on it, the table also has slots for using special clamps which I could do with buying so I can mount the vice without normal G clamps but they do the job fine so no rush, the speed adjustment is absolutely awesome operated by a simple lever on the side like a 1 armed bandit fruit machine, :D the depth set is awesome too, nice & quiet but nice & powerful, keeps well cooled with a decent heat sink & active fan, feels awesomely made.

Been using it quite a lot since setting it up & the cross vice I bought was £100 from axminster, fantastic addition to a floor mount drill press, wouldn't be as useful for a bench top drill press because of the lack of depth on the drill unless working small things.

:D

(little ramble, apologies in advance in case it bugs anyone) :blush:
    Excuse the super tired competition related ramble in my previous post & this one, I've just been finding competitions too demotivating & highly distracting making me think more on how they could be improved instead of getting on with modding so I just need to put them out of mind completely & just mod on like I've been trying to, as they are they just aren't worthy of me wasting thought on them, I still like MOTM though because it opens eyes to nice new projects we might miss if not for MOTM. :D

The best most efficient approaches mixed with the inefficient approaches mixed with struggling budgets or bloated sponsorships makes for a strange balance of professional & amateur modding but these things I can overlook but not if people campaign for votes also on top of those awesome perks, I like a challenge, not a mission impossible, just not a true sporting competition so is nothing but demotivating if only a few modders I really do have high respect for place OK when I think it should be about celebrating all the awesome creations of the year.

That is the problem though with the ping pong balls thought, some amazing projects would miss out of a deserving award, some inspire more people to raise their game without a doubt & those should be awarded & not demoted.

So I still don't want to be in any modding competitions, I looked at other comps & seen repeats of coolermaster 2011, it mostly undermines everyone's efforts & over promotes vote campaigns I think & that isn't a good thing for a creative community, I don't have a problem with any modders, it's the competitions themselves that are exploitable so I guess you choose to accept that or choose to not be involved in them, I'll choose to not be involved with the comps.

I don't think this is negative thinking & more realistic so no hard feelings as long as I am not in competition.

There shouldn't be need for a split of approaches because it just generates BS & misunderstandings of different methods but the modding community should put their heads together to come up with something that works better, heck that's what got me into modding, making things work better & then thinking I want to make something exactly how I want it to work rather than need to mod it, lately been focusing on better work so it looks better than a rough job done rather than just functions trying to put both together as 1, aesthetics just take a lot longer to do depending on how simple or complex you are going, but sure, I bought a very expensive tool which is quite out of character for me & wanted to give it & myself a good challenge so minimal aesthetics wasn't an option this time, wanted to see how far I could push my tools & myself to see if it breaks me or makes me grow. :D

As long as I don't die from it then it will make me grow. :D:rock:
    (end little ramble) :D

Nutman likes this.
  8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Again apologies for expressing myself about competitions if it happens to bother anyone but now I can mod on without it consuming anymore thought which was just wasting my time & making me think negative, might start seeing regular updates now I've freed myself from something that was bugging me. :)

All I ask is don't outcast me for having a problem with the way competitions roll.

It's definitely not an act of bitterness me opting out, it's just my life sucks bad enough without more disapointments so need to cut back on lifes disapointments or I might get severely depressed & start living like an idiot turrning to booze or something & that doesn't tend to improve people. :lol:

I can't & won't let that happen, must keep mental stability. :)

Last edited: 9 Oct 2012
  9. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I understand what you're getting at, although I don't fully agree.
    If compos are not your thing, then stay outside them and try not to pay attention to when people want you to join in on them. I bet this is the hardest part.
    You know, sometimes I feel that even showing off my progress if what takes most time away from the thing I should be doing: modding.
    Thankfully, I like to shoot photos, so those 2 things combined suit me fine and as I get better at both, I can also improve the speed of both processes. But... having to put together updates and post them to tonnes of places online (this would include compo sites, if I was to join any compos) is still a tedious task to me - I hope to get better at this aswell, so that "Holy triangle" (Modding, Photography & Presentation) will manifest and permanently settle down somewhere inside my mind and body - and, hopefully, pretty soon, too!

Oh, and thanks for explaining in depth about your drill press. I don't have room for one right now, so my rather wobbly table top drill press will have to suffice. Have some rep for the explanation!

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheers Mads, that puts it in better perspective, should have simply said I opt out of modding compos instead of rambling like a big idiot like I tend to do sometimes, again though sorry about that. :lol::duh:

It was crossing my mind to opt out before moty 2011 but didn't & then got nominated very early so felt inappropriate at the time so now is as good a time as any to do it I think.

Don't know why I feel the need to explain everything, think it's to cover any possible future questions related to it so I can get it out of the way, if I thought sending Antony a PM to quietly opt out would work OK I would have but then without saying to anyone out loud so it's known why I'm not in there, you get the picture... :D:lol:

Updates will continue ASAP though, really needed that out of my system properly so I can get thinking brighter.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

But of course if I'm bringing morale down with what I said I'll leave if people want.

12. B NEGATIVE

I hear you.
    Comps have become a popularity/networking contest,remove the public vote and get some seasoned Modders to vote instead,this could change monthly,winners of the last vote on the next
    Stops the Facebook spam-for-the-win for a start.
    Also,only rigs near completion or at least advanced enough that the build could be seen with whatever design cues the builder was aiming for are in place.
    Seeing a GPUless shot of a raystorm block on a board,completely stock,getting more votes than finished builds is just a windup....:grr:

13. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

Awesome work as always Waynio. :thumb:

14. Fifas

Fifas What's a Dremel?

Amazing project! :jawdrop::jawdrop:

No words to describe... :thumb:

Congrats!

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Even the HTPC is beginning to look lickable... My tongue shall be sore soon... :p

16. B NEGATIVE

I have to have a scroll saw in my life.....:sigh:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'd prefer if people don't look at them how I do, just felt need to say why you shouldn't expect to see me in them now, I feel quite a few are rooting for me but I don't want to see any drama or have anything to do with any drama. :)
    Being passionate to mod as good as you can is awesome & needed if you want to do awesome modding but it should be left in the project & not in the comments of the winners or anywhere else.

Plus you would never get such a bad example as the one you seen on that compo in MOTY so don't worry about that, standards for the nominations are sweet here, guess they missed putting the most basic of rules on that compo, or it's a temporary photo & the completed project will be done by the time voting closes, maybe they just did that completely wrong by allowing voting so soon. :D

MOTM, without people asking for some help in the right places I might not have come over here so there's nothing wrong with MOTM really with that in mind, MOTM serves multiple good purposes so is nothing to be negative about & I mean that 100%.

Because I make things that I want rather than something that could appeal to a lot more I cut my chance of placing higher by default really, I also don't even tell close family I'm in any competition so another reason I won't place higher, I don't recommend people do those things like I do unless you don't truly care about a ranking position that can, not guaranteed but can help bring some nice perks to your modding hobby.

Probably incredibly stupid of me opting out, I think it's more of the other competitions that bug me really that aren't to do with the ones here, they are trying to find the sweet spot I'm sure but I have seen some do support & place well, not do support & place bad & then go back to support because others do so it's best to just accept it I'd say rather than get negative about it, that's just bad for creativity.

I really should have spoken more with modders about it rather than try to figure it out on my own, but that's what I did & it gave me some not so great conclusions, but I see sweet modding still & still strive for getting better so there's little difference for me but a touch less drama which I like the thought of with how my life is. :D

Thanks Paslis :):thumb: I'll be back onto it tomorrow, been playing some Dishonored, starts a little slow but starts getting more interesting, little overrated but it's a good game. :D

Thank you Fifas appreciated mate. :)

:hehe::D Cheers Angel, I'll make it lickable without being a tongue shredder, it's a way off from that now though. :D

Good news is they can be had for far less than a dremel if you go 2nd hand, bad news is mine cost £510 :hehe::duh: but I had intention of using it a heck of a lot & still do, some tools can be for life & I had plenty of dremels burn out on me trying to do complex cut work that took ages to do & kicked a lot of horrible dust in my face so I'd have spent more than £510 on dremels by now if I only used them still. :D:thumb:

This is getting back on tomorrow. :dremel:

18. B NEGATIVE

Im all about tools for life,9 years working on-site as a plumber and carpenter soon gives you the urge for tool pr0n...Im a Makita or Hilti fan myself...

DeWalt is for the weak....

19. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

missed your last few updates so some real nice catchup for me there!! really coming together nicley mate, I am itching for final shots of this!!

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D I'm not a tool connoisseur but I'll trust you on that, not tried better brands but can imagine if I did I'd want them :D but some tools can be cheap & have a good life out of them, bit of luck helps on a fluke purchase, dewalt are expensive really & the better brands even more so, I'd rather only buy quality tools I know I would get plenty of use out of & ones that require good safety so if I ever bought a table saw I'd go a little on the premium side so I don't mess myself up with a big crazy ultra fast spinning blade, even the chop saw I have kinda scares me & doubt I'll use it much. :hehe:

The ryobi jigsaw, the Bosch power drill have been very good for me, I can't afford all nice brands but would go for them if I could as would anyone I expect. :D

Thanks Squiqly, me too mate :D I needed a timeout for some fun though to get myself brighter again. :)

Might start back on this today even but if not then tomorrow I will.