1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Evangelion is not dark or brutal enough for me I'm afraid. Could never get in to it..

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Elfen Lied

Digi likes this.
  3. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

That is excellent as well. There are a couple of other ones. I can't think of them off the top of my head. Need to check my stash at home...

4. Digi

Huh, somehow this had escaped my attention. Looks very promising. +rep

I have got Gungrave at last but the first episode and a half didn't impress too much. Berserk is another I'm still looking for a good source for.

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

DON'T giveup on Gungrave, prob the best character development ive ever seen in an anime. The overall story can rival the Godfather series of movies. Not to mention all that uber gun violence!

if people are looking for sick anime, take a look at narutaru. For sheer ****ed up ness (e.g. implied child abuse) and other elements which are mental. Also Fist of the north star for lots of blood and gore but classic storyline.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Gungrave was great. Elfen Lied was pants and Eva was totally overrated.

/dons flameproof suit (with troll face)

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

My mate is absolutely Manga crazy and ranted and raved about Eva several years ago so I finally decided I would watch it.

Fist of the North Star... I got an episode of that free with Manga Max about 15 years ago. It's hilarious. :D

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Off to go and see Looper. For some reason I'm not remotely interested in seeing it, so we'll see how I feel in a couple of hours time.

9. Digi

I've got the 5 DVD box set of Fist of the North Star, classic..! :thumb:

10. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Looper: 3/10

Time travel movies always require quite a bit of believing from the watcher. I can accept that people are sent back through time to be killed so that no body is found. The whole situation that a looper has to close his own loop is ridiculous. Having someone else do the murder would be much cheaper, and the loopers would never know a thing. However the movie is called Looper and not Time Murderer for a reason, so I'll just file this one under bad crime management.

The paradoxes or even mistakes Johnson makes in his movie are ridiculous though. Probably Johnson could not decide if he wants to follow the multiverse theory or not. More importantly: They were so glaring I did notice them during the movie, not afterwards.

This movie shows why Inception was so great: The whole situation of Cobb destroying a multi billion enterprise just to get back to his kids was ridiculous as well. However the movie did such a great job at toying with the idea of 'What if we could travel into other peoples dreams?' that I did not notice that during the movie - and really did not care afterwards.

At that point Looper fails horribly: Because the whole time travel paradox is tackled in such a bad way the other shortcomings become even more obvious.

@Krikkit: I absolutely hated that scene.

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Looper.... I dunno/10

I can't work out if I loved it or hated it.

The thing I cant wrap my head around is surely if Willis never came back in time to kill the kid, the mother wouldn't have died, and therefore he wouldn't have gone bad.. AG, I agree, the bit as he was getting out of the car was actually quite unsettling.

However, I rather enjoyed the fact a decent proportion of the film was shot from the point of view of Emily Blunts bottom. Directing at its finest.

12. Sviatoslav

Sviatoslav What's a Dremel?

Total Recall. I'd give it 5/10 max, mostly because the original with Arny was just so much better!

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Taken 2 - 4/10 - I won't lie the first film was one of my favourite action films that's come along in the last few years, even though it wasn't very radical it had a nice style and feel throughout, nothing too fancy or overblown. It wasn't perfect, but I liked it.

All that goes in the 2nd instalment - random grenade throwing at the start, a horrendous car chase (complete with implausible roadblock-running), the different feel has gone, replaced only by the lasting impression that it's just blending in with every other Hollywood action sequence for the last 10 years. Yawn.

That said there were some good bits still, the fight scenes are pretty good, and Mr Neeson looks great for 60... But the over-riding impression is of a missed opportunity.

14. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

The prestige - 9/10. Finally got around to watching it and I really liked the movie and twist. I picked up on it 1/2 way through. Only problem for me was I watched it late at night and the volume was too low. I'm now on the hunt for more movies with big twists or that make you think, such as fight club, donnie darko, shutter island, etc.

Haven't seen it but I also want to see "here comes the boom".

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Gordon Behind Bars
    ??/10
    Yes, I am a sucker for Gordon Ramsay's stuff...
    This was good to watch in a "this is actually a cool idea" way... it is reality TV, though, and as such completely unrateable.

16. Digi

Liar Liar - 9/10
    I had watched this when I was much younger and enjoyed it but I hadn't seen it in years and it definitely improved things. I laughed out loud countless times during the film and I mean real genuine belly laughs. Great stuff.

17. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

+1
    Eva is absolutely overrated.

Ps:
    Harry McDowell was such an asshole.

18. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

The Bourne Legacy - 4/10

I loved the original trilogy and they just tried to milk the industry with this movie. The story somewhat conflicted with the original ending and even if it were a stand alone movie it was mediocre at best. Really disappointed in this movie.

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Resident Evil Retribution: Meh/10

It was less about retribution in all sense of the word and more Alice kicking some ass. Evil Clones and more evil doings by Umbrella Corp.

It was mindly entertaining with the fight sequences but overal I wish they had stopped with the first film. The only reason that Alice/Milla Jovovich is in the films is because she is engaged/married to W S Anderson.

I wish they'd stop milking the series now. Though the same could be said about the video games. I haven't played one since Nemesis which wasn't all that fantastic anyway.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2012
  20. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Looper 6/10

I went in not expecting too much and I kinda enjoyed it but a lot of annoying flaws and I think it's about time Willis retired.