1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam for Linux game list leaks out early

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Oct 2012.

1. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

2. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

With repect to Office, have you guys tried running OpenOffice on Linux? I've been pleasantly surprised with it in Windows. When I was working from home, I was able to modify documents and send them back to work where they were running a combination of Office 2007 and Office 2010. The only gotcha I saw was some weird behavior with rather large documents where the section numbering was already somewhat broken in the original Office doc.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yes, I've tried Open/LibreOffice. It's OK for basic stuff, but as soon as you start getting complex, it just can't cope. Every Word document I've opened in it with complex formatting has been totally shot and unusable, from vast swathes of text hyperlinked wrongly, to tables and figures badly mangled or outright missing, to section breaks set wrong and a host of other issues.

Nah, this was a 'middle of the afternoon, got some free time until evening and bored' upgrade. But it still went badly. ;)

SuSE 8.2 was my first 'own' linux distro. Bought the boxed version which came with installations support and everything. Enjoyed it, but having spent time with APT and pacman, RPM just has too many quirks...

My GTX680 experiences weren't postive the last time I tried, which was back in August.

Yeah, I've been experimenting with Windows+Office in a VM for tasks that need Office. :)

My recent nVidia issue was with a GTX680. My GTX470's behave well in linux, they just gently toast themselves as it doesn't set a sensible fan profile. :( 70*C idle is crazy.

4. fooboi

fooboi What's a Dremel?

Running linux for years multiple distros, even distros that don't officially let you use propriety drivers and I've never had any driver issues. In fact I find it more difficult to go back to windows nowadays because of the multitude of issues I face there.

5. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I feel like I'm the only person who has never had any trouble with windows. What am I doing wrong?

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've never had trouble with Windows that hasn't been induced by a session of stupid ideas from the user (Be that me, or any one of the customers I deal with daily).

I've only ever had to reinstall 7 due to massive hardware changes, so.. Once on the desktop, and once on the laptop (Desktop changed everything, laptop went to SSD, and I was told cloning is not the best way to migrate to an SSD).

On topic, though.

I like the idea of Linux more than I actually like Linux. It sounds great on paper, but in reality I spend so much time scratching my head working out the reasons portion X has failed because something in dependency Z broke after an update that didn't touch Z, but one of Z's dependencies.. Eugh.

It's a big pass from me on that front.

Ubuntu, too, with its recent "new interface" that looks cack, I've not had the time or stomach to work out how to turn that stupid thing off and just get the two bars I like.

I suppose it doesn't help that I, occasionally, use "exotic" (Read: New) hardware that Linux drivers just don't exist/work for.

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Well, to be honest the biggest driver issue I had was on Windows. Last one was 2 days ago at work, when the Intel (ok, they are noe good at gfx drivers) HD2000 drivers crashed in all their glory ... resulting in 640x480 / 4 bits color display with only the right screen working ...

Tried the right-clic --> properties on my desktop to accep display prop ... but it opened the windows on the left screen :wallbash:

Tried windows + E to open an explorer .... opened it on the left screen :wallbash:

Reboot ..... login screen opened on the left screen :wallbash:

had to safe reboot with network, dl intel drivers, uninstall intel driver, reinstall them, reboot .... right screen only :wallbash:

Made it a second time ... it worked, woohoo.

I know it's not user friendly, but when it's all broken in Linux, you still can switch to the console and try to fix things there. With windows, if the display is broken you're really screwed.

8. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Not to be someone who starts a bitch-fest, but I think people who use the "Windows just works better" argument to dismiss Linux, kind of misses the point. Windows benefits from a huge amount of time and money to develop and support the platform. Of course it is going to be easier for the user to support*. If Linux had that, it would work better as well. Probably work better than Windows does now.

I game on Windows, play on Linux, and work on both. More support for Linux, for whatever reason, will make Linux better for everyone. So I welcome Steam on Linux if it is going to push device makers to help with support, and inspire game developers and publishers to release more games for the platform.
    Given I own some of these games on Steam already, I look forward to an extension of the SteamPlay program.

* Having said that, if Windows just works better, why do I spend so much time fixing things that bork themselves? Device problems, driver problems, program problems. I find that Linux is more difficult to set up right, but Windows is more difficult to maintain.

9. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

L4D2?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Re-read the article: FTL is *not* in the list of launch titles. If you click through to the Wiki entry, you'll see a long list of games which are on Steam and also have a native Linux port; however, only those that say 'CDR' next to them have appeared in the CDR database and are likely to form the launch titles. No CDR next to FTL means no impending Steam release for the Linux port.
    Also not in the list, as it doesn't yet have a native Linux port. Valve is working on one, true, but there's as yet no clue as to whether it will be ready for public release before the end of the Steam for Linux beta. Also, it was first released on November 17, 2009 - so even if it *were* in the list, I would stand by my statement that the game is outdated.

Tell you what, let's get all journalistic on it and do some in-depth research. Below I'll list all the titles that are in the CDR database as having Linux ports and their original release dates (with the earliest release date listed - so if it came out in the US first, that's the date I'll use.)

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - September 8, 2010
    Crusader Kings 2 - February 14, 2012
    Cubemen - March 16, 2012
    Dynamite Jack - June 28, 2012 (iOS)
    Eversion - November, 2008
    Galcon Fusion - February 11, 2010
    Serious Sam 3: BFE - October 18, 2011
    Solar 2 - June 17, 2011
    SpaceChem - January 1, 2011
    Steel Storm: Burning Retribution - May 11, 2011
    Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP - April 16, 2012
    Trine 2 - December 7, 2011
    Waveform - March 20, 2012
    World of Goo - October 13, 2008

Remember, those are the *only* titles (semi-)confirmed as being available for Linux through Steam. Analysing the results: we have five of the 14 titles having been released this year - better than I thought at first glance - with another five having been released last year. The remaining four date to 2008 through 2010.

So, given that the absolute newest game in the list was released four months ago - and it's an iOS port at that - and only four other games in the list come from this year, while 64-ish per cent of the list comes from last year or prior, I stand by my statement of "somewhat outdated."

11. GuilleAcoustic

SOrry Gareth, but I strongly disagree !!

A game is outdated when it's GFX are ageing (compared to games with similar gameplay) or when it's mechanics as been overused .... not because it's a year old.

It's not a burger, you do not have a play-limit-time-or-it-wont-be-fun date printed on the box ! They are not the damn latest released games, but it shouldn't mean you can't have fun playing them.

EDIT : That kind of news should be purely informational. The journalist shouldn't give any kind of judgment on the content. Give the list and let readers have their own. It's not a review ! That kind of news is the feeding the "Linux is crap troll". That's what I think.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2012
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

From an industry perspective, a game is outdated when it stops selling in volume at a price which results in a profit. For triple-A titles, that can be as soon as a couple of months after release. For indie titles - mostly thanks to the massively lower production costs - that stretches further, but a game from 2008 would be severely pushing the boundaries.

To put it another way: would you like to see reviews of games that have been out for a couple of years popping up on the site, at the expense of reviews of newly-released titles?

13. GuilleAcoustic

... sorry I do not get your point ? What does it have to do with "outdating" ? Ok they are not new, but does it mean that nobody's playing them ? TF2 is old but it still have a huge bunch of players playing it.

What the point with a game selling or not ? The best games I've ever played were not really "best sellers". They still are damn better than BF3 or PES or any of those damn flat gameplay games.

"A" game is not better than "B" game because it's selling 1000x more copies.

Edit : you and we are "users" not "sellers". Our judgement should only be : "Is the game (still) good or not ?".

14. Gareth Halfacree

Here's my problem with the list, and the reason I described the games therein as "somewhat outdated" - a statement, I remind you, I completely stand by - while pointing out the trouble with sales curves: the vast majority of people who would buy them through Steam for Linux have already bought them elsewhere.

Of the games, the only ones I'm really interested in are World of Goo, Superbrothers, Amnesia, SpaceChem, and possibly Serious Sam 3 (although I haven't played a Serious Sam since the original.) Trouble is, I already own World of Goo, Superbrothers, Amnesia, and SpaceChem - I bought all of them through Humble Bundles, and they came complete with native Linux versions.

As a game ages, the chances of a player owning it increase - and as the game drops in price, the chances get better and better. I was holding out for a Linux port of Torchlight for *ages,* but with no release in sight I caved and bought the Windows version to play under wine. If a native Linux Torchlight were to be released now, I probably wouldn't buy it - I've played the game now, I have no interest in paying again for the same game.

If Valve's chosen games were less outdated - there's that word again - the likelihood of people buying them through Steam for Linux would be much greater. Now, that *may* be less important if Valve gives access to the Linux ports free of charge to those who have already bought the game for Windows or OS X - but it's still a problem that would not exist (or would be lessened, at least) if the games on offer were newer.

15. GuilleAcoustic

I think their move is not done to sell Linux game, but more to test wether or not people are using it. By choosing older games, the chance that many users already have them is increased (especialy with humble indie bundle, since it's the major source of game for Linux users).

If many people are using Steam for Linux, then they can continue the porting and they will have a huge argument towards game developers.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Yes and no. Yes, in that I agree that if you get access to the Linux port if you've already got the Windows or OS X version in your Steam library then it means gamers can immediately try out downloading, installing and playing a Linux game through Steam. No, in that at the end of the day even Gabe Newell needs to justify himself - and it's a hell of a lot easier to say "Project X gave us $Y revenue and is therefore successful" than it is to say "Project X gave us Z beta-testers who spent no money and is therefore successful, honest."

If they'd launched with some new games - like FTL - they'd have had a good chance of having Linux gamers stick their hands in their pockets. That's not only important for proving the concept internally, but also for dispelling the still-extant myth that Linux users are 'freetards' who would never pay for commercial software (a common interpretation of 'free software' from those who should know better.) The Humble Bundle has proved that Linux users will gladly pay - and pay well above the average of Windows and OS X users, for that matter - for software, but it would strengthen Valve's argument to be able to - as you suggest - turn to developers and say "companies participating in the Steam for Linux launch have raked in a few hundred thousand dollars each - fancy a slice of the pie?"

The caveat with all this, of course, is that the games listed above and in the original article are merely part of the beta - there's absolutely no indication, and it would be ridiculous to assume, that Valve plans to only release those under Steam for Linux. Indeed, with the company having already shown off its Left 4 Dead 2 porting efforts, it's fair to assume that L4D2 - not currently listed as Linux-compatible in the CDR database - will form one of the launch titles proper.

Fingers crossed that the list of available games at launch is closer to the master list of "Steam games with Linux ports," as opposed to the far smaller "Steam games with Linux CDR entries" on which the article was based.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2012
  17. GuilleAcoustic

Well a question that is not clear ... most of my Steam games are Linux native, I hope I won't have to "re"buy them, would I ?

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

presumabely they will let you add games you bought elsewhere to steam just like they do on windows.

19. GuilleAcoustic

YUp, but what about games I bought on Steam that are Linux Native ? Did I only bought the Windows version ?

I also bought Indie bundles and reddemed them on Steam. Will I be able to install them on Linux Through Steam ? Or should I use the install and "link" them on Steam?

20. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Confused FTL with Galcon Fusion. My bad.

I believe it will fall under SteamPlay and automatically work on Linux in time, similar to how all my Windows games with OSX ports work on OSX, Well, should work at any rate....