1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Can I tap into the knowledge and wisdom of Bit-tech

Discussion in 'General' started by Cerberus90, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Would people mind taking a look at my website/portfolio and let me know what they think?

I know the website is very basic, but I don't really like web design, and the current site works and does it's job.

It's mainly the content, as I'm trying to find a job and know that there's plenty of experienced people here who might be able to make some constructive criticism, :D

So, here's the link

My Site

Thanks in advance.

2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

As a web developer and graphic designer, i think you just made baby jesus cry.

The content of the site itself isn't a problem, and the navigation structure isn't either, but I do think you need to introduce some graphics. Even if it's simple stuff.

Avoid Times New Roman like a moving bus. Use a much plainer font, and brighten up the colour scheme.

More than happy to help if you would like to PM me.

3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Wordpress will make you super happy face and takes very little time to get something professional going

You probably could make something very nice in an afternoon

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I always was rubbish at Art at school, :D

I'm taking a look at wordpress. Might try and play with my one and use your comments.

What sort of colours work well? And what sort of graphics could I use. I just had an idea, of possibly having something like game characters in a corner, and fading out to the centre of the screen, but then I'm into the realm of am I allowed to use that image. :D

5. lwills

lwills What's a Dremel?

Nothing wrong with a simple website dude but you really should apply some basic CSS at least. Your site is essentially an extension of your CV so it should look as good as you'd like to come across, especially if you're doing any work with design. It doesn't do your first any justice.

On to the content, it's a bit colloquial and could do with re wording in places but I get the general idea of what you're trying to show: You're a recent first graded games programming grad with an wide interest in computer gaming, and you're having a bash at some andriod development.

Out of curiosity, what sort of job are you looking for? It looks like you’re vying for a place in the industry but without any specific focus on what part.

Oh and a contact link is a good shout too.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'm looking for a programming job.

I have used CSS.

It's not as formal as my CV, as I've got my CV for that, and alot of the important info is in that.

Wasn't keen on putting up my email on the site, just in case I get spammed, or worse, :D, my email is in my CV, and is included with any applications I send (as they're sent by email, :D ).

7. lwills

lwills What's a Dremel?

OK, well that covers a fair range of positions and while I understand you may not know your exact field yet, it wouldn't hurt to lean it toward your skills, and make a point of saying ‘This is me, this is what I’m good at!’. It appears you can program (probably quite well) but you seem more focussed on things you haven’t manage to achieve more than what you have.

My point with the CSS was more to do with the styling of the site, as opposed to just linking a style sheet. With all due respect, most employers wouldn't spend the time to get passed how basic the site looks.

Having a plain text email link is not the only way to allow someone to contact you via a website. I could be a company looking for an enthusiastic junior programmer who has stumbled across your page, but I'd have no choice but to ignore it as I can't contact you. If you're happy with that great, but you needn't have set up the website in that case, you could just make a few page PDF portfolio to send out with your CV instead.

Not trying to shoot you down but you did ask for contructive feedback.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Yeah, fully understand. A lot of it is the same thought process as I had. I did start out with a local based portfolio (which was just the site, run from a folder), but this wasn't great, so I thought I might aswell put it up on the free space I've got from TalkTalk.

With regards to the first bit, I've got that sort of stuff in my CV, and in covering letters for any positions I apply for.
    I'm not counting on anyone stumbling across the site to be honest, I doubt it's easily found, :D

With regards to the , haven't managed to achieve stuff. Yeah, I know, and it really annoys me, :D, but I just seem to hit walls whenever I try to do something, and then can't finish what I've started. Although, everything on there is more than just an idea, it does all have code, and certain aspects work.

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

The first thing I noticed was Times New Roman. Please change that to something softer like Arial or Calibri. TNR looks awful!

10. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

One thing that struck me was I could have wrote this and I work in a warehouse, or for that matter anyone working at Game could have.

I understand to make games you might be a fan of them but an Animator for example wouldn't put that they've watched thousands of hours of cartoons.

11. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

I do hope you read this in a friendly tone with constructive criticism in mind. I don't want come across as an ass. just some help.

The personal statement needs a lot of work. Try an write at your degree level, this reads quite young. GCSE standard. Lets see.

We don't really need your name in this, the title of the site does that for you. Besides, they should have your CV and cover letter firstly stating your name.

Try something akin to;
    "I graduated from De Montfort University in 2011 with First Class Honours, acquiring a diverse and strong skillset within C++, openGL, Java (SE and ME), AI methods, Physics simulation and game design."

We don't need the hours played, or dragon count. These are your potential employers seeing this.
    Your a dynamic, active and learned young professional. Right?

It goes on with another paragraph regarding the HL series in a similar fashion.
    I would merge the two, writing how you play and appreciate games (a relevant interest). Remember to show your interest is beyond the hours of pwning noobs and slaying dragons. Mechanics, narrative devices, physics and engines. Thats the stuff you want to be making right?

Other interests inclue modelling hobbys, sure, it applies to your meticulous and precise nature. The satisfaction of creating and crafting.
    However, no need to mention how "slow" you are, or yet another complete deluxe boxset we should be srs jelly about.

Good, post university development is great to see. Write that in, stress the impetus to learn, improve and widen your skill set. Then as you rightly did, display the said talent.

No need to give them a step by step guide to the website, we all know how they work.
    Besides, if its a good site it should be self explanatory.

As for graphics and fonts?
    Try a simple san serif. Doesn't have to be black, 80% grey can look slick.
    Personally, i find backgrounds and borders with different block colours to look quite sloppy. Try having a single colour background. If it is colour, make sure its not a dirty or neon colour. Pastel or light colours might work.

Could you add a sample image above each game?

The tone of this portfolio will dictate wether they actually spend the time to explore your work.
    I am yet to see the content, but i can't help but assume it's subpar.
    Awful, i know, to judge on such things. But it happens.

If website design is not a strong point, get a wordpress or blog running. They can look relatively pro with minimal work if you have the eye for it.

Hope this helps.

12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I think I need to clear this up a little, :D

This isn't my CV or anything, this is just an extra, this is where I'm putting stuff that isn't suitable to put in my CV, and that's just a part of the reason for the site, the main reason is to host the examples of my work.

I would have thought an Animator may want to put that they've watched hundreds of hours of cartoons, hence seeing what others have done, and how different methods work etc. Pretty much every job advert I have seen for the games industry, and every piece of advice elsewhere about getting into the games industry says that you must have a huge passion for games.

Thanks wgy, doesn't come across 'ass'ish' at all, I know full well I'm far from the best wordsmith (probably why I got into computers/programming), :D. The hours played come from when I was applying mainly for driving games jobs, and there, it was more relevant. I put the dragon slaying bit in to try and make it a bit more interesting, and also the games industry is slightly more informal than most, so I thought it'd be fine. :D

Thanks for the other tips, I'll take them on board and try and see what I can do.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2012
  13. Strudul

Strudul ~

But it shows an interest in the area, which is a good thing.

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Done a bit of tweaking to the look of the site, and I was going to put it up, but for some reason I can't connect to the ftp to upload the stuff.

Ftp client connects, but won't retrieve the directory. Hoping it's just TalkTalk doing some maintenance or something.

Here's a screenshot, not happy with the content area, where the main text goes, but not sure what I can do with it, as it can be a variable size, so I don't think a background image is an option.

[​IMG]

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Your still putting this out there as a representation of yourself to an employer and to be blunt it reads like it was written by a primary school child. "My names Timmy. Today I went to the woods. It was sunny. I saw a squirrel." Your better than that and you know you can write something more suitable. You haven't even spell checked it or proof read it. Highlighting things like " large number of Warhammer models, most of which are still awaiting to be painted due to me being a slow painter and a bit of a perfectionist" makes you sound like unfocused with poor time management skills. Is that really the message you want to put out to a potential employer? Also your applying for a creative industry so you need to have something visually interesting.

In it's present state the site will more likely damage your chances of getting a job than enhancing it imo.

16. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

As has been said: Wordpress. You still retain full control over the site's design and structure, but can slap a decent theme up with a CMS from the start and tweak it from there. There are very few websites that can't be made by starting with a Wordpress install; I'd also recommend taking a look at Smashing Magazine for some inspiration and code snippets.

17. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Can I ask where the spelling error or whatever is wrong that line?

I have proof read it, many times, and I'm still not happy with it, hence why I posted here. And I have also spell checked it.

18. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Right, I've made a bit of a start with re-writing the content. Better? Had to :wallbash: a bit at the start, but made some progress eventually, :D

19. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The mistake wasn't in the line quoted but it has gone now anyway. Your re-written version is like night and day compared to the original effort. Well done sir. :thumb:

I do feel that for someone interested in game development only commenting on graphics and story for HL2 seems very limited. It is a seminal game for how it redefined the genre and from how Valve made large strides in guiding and focusing the players attention. You have done a degree in this so you should be able to elaborate on these concepts much better.

20. lwills

lwills What's a Dremel?

:sigh: Hey come on now, I don't know anyone, especially someone with a 1st degree that hasn't achieved something. I'm not suggesting you should have sent a man to the moon or anything, but think about your course, your courseworks or home projects and focus on the positives!

For example, quotes like ' This would have been time consuming and difficult with my lacklustre paint skills. ' and 'I couldn't come up with a solution to this problem, and I'm not sure that there is one that would work with the current design of the game.' make you sound really unsure of yourself and negative. I'd simply leave them out instead of re wording them.

If you get the time, jot down a quick paragraph describing one of your projects with only facts and positive parts, and then compare it what you had there already. (if you’re having issues, write 5 bullet points about what worked in the system, then flesh it out.)

Oh and by the way:

Much better content there fair play dude :D :thumb: Good effort!