1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 6 Jan 2012.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ugh, hurry up and unlock already.

Really hate artificial delays on digital products right now.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Should get my key today once stock arrives in to ZiiP, won't get to play it until tomorrow night though.

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

semi regretting my pre-order since there a lot of talk of game breaking bugs and glitches.

awesome just want i wanted for £30 an unplayable game !!!!

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

How come none of these bugs are mentioned by reviewers, all of whom are loving the game? I think you might be seeing some vocal isolated incidences - but we shall find out tomorrow!

5. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Your more likely to hear the people with issues about the game than the ones praising it, so it may appear completely broken but the "Everyone" who says it broken is (possibly) the minority who have the issues.

Ya having a game downloaded like this is new to me, but then again when it unlocks no need to wait on a download, or drive to shops etc, only the install time. (i dont think it pre-installed on steam?)

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

My mate used a vpn to unlock his stream copy. as a big fan of the original he is happy as you like at how good he think this updated version is.

I played the demo myself today and it was fun, if not a bit clunky in places.

Still a bit on the fences myself, I am a bit dissappointed that there is no co-op, even if it had just been up to 6 human player controling 1 man each, in a number of pre-set combat scenarios fighting the aliens, maybe even a little character persistence until killed.
    sadly all you get is a off looking vs mode :/

7. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I unlocked mine earlier because i couldn't stand chatting with friends who were already playing their's (they're in America) *shakes fist*.

I'm really loving it although there have been some bugs (crashes to desktop every hour or two - thank god for autosave) and had this strange incident where the Alien turn refused to play out (it just stopped there).

But they've never really "ruined" my experience of the game =].

8. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I hope the modders will sort some of the Multiplayer out, perhaps we will get a co-op, sounds interesting.

Maybe even a mode where you each have your own base across the globe, responsible for that area, then on the final mission or whatever you all come together somehow (no idea what ending is btw). Obv with much harder enemies.

I would love to see a full on Alien VS Humans multiplayer! That would be cool!

The Alien player launching missions (like a scout to try and probe humans base, or terror to get more parts for research etc) and the human basically doing as per Xcom.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

that would be awesome

human vs human campaign :)

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, I just used a VPN to play early and no signs of instability.

EDIT: OMG IT IS AMAZEBALLS.

Okay, tad overboard there, but this is a good game. It's also rather hard - I keep losing squad members left right and centre, and then just got totally demolished on a mission in London. You really need to play carefully and slowly!

Last edited: 11 Oct 2012
  11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

what kind of vpn are you guys using to activate? I caved and bought a copy on steam, currently downloading at 7.5meg a sec, or 27mins for the 13 gig :) damed if i am going to wait till tomorrow to play it!!!

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Any VPN based in the US is fine, doesn't have to be a particularly fast one either as all you need is to log in to Steam.

Of course, it is inactive again as soon as you stop using the VPN :(

13. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

currently downloading this at the lofty speed of 101kb/s :sigh:

14. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

oh so it not just a case of a one time acrivation then?

edit: like with mass effect 3, it just needed to be activated in a region where it was already unlocked. or does this have some kind of constant connection requirement?

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I get that literally every mission now. Guess I'll play something else until they patch it.

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

One time activation? Nope! A lot of games use Steam as their DRM these days, so each time you log in it is checking the game(s). So when I turned the VPN off, XCOM went back to being a pre-release.

It's not constant connection, as you can be disconnected from the internet while you play, but it's a check before you start playing.

17. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

18. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Patched up my game with the latest patch, everything is running smoothly again.

19. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Yeah I'm having a lot of fun with this too, no bugs here at all. I love that they didn't dumb it down too much from the original. The combat is still super tactical, you have to go slow and steady and carefully. You also can/should save on almost every turn, or at least every time you make good progress. And you need to keep a long series of about 20 saves in case you work your way inside a building and then get surrounded or something, because in that case, your last save might still be in the same building. So you might need to load one from 20 minutes ago and try something completely different.

It's also worth having saves back on the home base before you go on missions too. This was all very important in the original and still seems to be the same in this new game.

There are a maybe a few things I prefer about the original, and some of the more recent games (UFO: Afterlight etc), like the satellite building / earth management stuff, and the base building bits, and having to manually make basic weapons and assign staff etc.. But it's not a big deal. That was mostly micro management anyway, the bulk of the game has always been the tactical combat and the ever increasingly difficult missions, and this game does that as well as any. I can't even remember the original completely, but I wonder if this might even have even more depth than the originals?! The stuff like Overwatch and Suppression etc.. that is all the exact kind of tactical stuff I LOVE and I am pretty sure that is new. So I'm really happy.

Also the highlight with the past games, were the huge and difficult finales, assuming this game has something like that too, it will be one of the best things I've played for a looong time.

20. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I noticed on Steam there was an article about getting the cutscenes in 1080 as they default to 720, the patch from yesterday seemed to suggest a fix but i cant tell :S

The game seems good, im still in tutorial (i like to play tutorials on new games even if i could work it out, you sometimes pick up some extra tips you may miss), seems to last a bit lol, i thought after the initial 2 missions i would be left to my devices but im still in one it seems (was builidng alien containment and i could only build in one place, it said "Not in tutorial" on the others.).

Edit-

Anyone get the pre-order stuff ok? I have Civ V, but the soldiers an TF2 items? I dotn recall seeing any new soldiers when i was playing :S

Last edited: 12 Oct 2012