1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dishonored review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 8 Oct 2012.

1. Christof_II

Christof_II SNAAAAAAAKE!!!

can't wait until my copy unlocks on Steam on Friday...

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I have read a review elsewhere that compares the Xbox360 - PS3 - PC versions against each other to weigh the pros and cons of each. Is this something you would consider doing in the future?

Do you see any worth in doing so from your professional perspective?

I will add that it was quite interesting. Yes the PC was the clear winner, but between the consoles it was not so clear cut....and it WAS interesting to see not only how close the PS3 came in some instances to the PC, but how the two consoles compared between another. Clearly this is not something to do for every review, but for big multi-platform games such as this I was curious of your viewpoint.

3. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

Shame it doesn't sound too good from your comments. Was going to pick this one up and play it on my day off, thinking twice about it now.

4. Fizzban

To whom do you speak? Me?

You misunderstand. ALL formats did exceptionally well. This is a must have game whatever the format.

There were differences, but nothing to prevent buying. The PC clearly reigned, but that was more or less a given. PS3 and XB360 were close in most arenas. PS3 had sharper textures but there was screen tearing. XB360 had instances of colours being a little bright and the textures wern't so clear. There was less tearing generally, but during fights it was there.

I would have linked the review, but I did not want to irritate Bit-tech ect ect..

5. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

Sorry i should have quoted, i was reading comments on page 3 about it not being great.

6. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

It runs fine on my Q6600+ 9800gt rig on High with AA off @1080p.

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

My money has already been taken, roll on tomorrow!

8. Fizzban

I pity us UK folk..pipped to the post by pirates. We have to read about the Americans experiences for 3 or 4 days before we get a go. It's that or pirate a game you have already pre-ordered. Something aint right there.

Worldwide releases are not unknown, and they should be a standard. We all pay the cash so we should all play on the same day (give or take the time difference).

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

In the age of digital distribution all they have to do to make it available globally is press a button, so yep, no excuse for delays.

10. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

You can use a VPN to make Steam think you are in America. It has it's risks though.

11. Fizzban

You can. But should you need to? That is the question.

They could meet us halfway and say all digital releases will be released on the same day, but physical releases will be delayed by their home nations own preference. It would bump up the digital sales wouldn't you say? And that has to be a goal of theirs. After all, digital sales require no logistical demands.

12. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Been playing this a while now... not grabbing me yet - I will persevere!
    Found Borderlands far more enjoyable.
    Each to their own I guess, but don't get the 99% review score!

13. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

I think, having seen the user reviews, I'm going to have to give this one a miss until it's on sale. Sounds linear, safe commercial pap. Not sure how it got so much hype.

Key quote from a 10/10 user review: "game is very short so those seeking huge 30 hour experiences or a truly open world game might consider looking elsewhere".

30 hour experiences are not huge from the way I play games. Thief 2 had 15 levels, but most of them took multiple hours to play (the way I did them, anyhow). Took me about two weeks to finish Far Cry 2, playing well over 2 hours a day, most of it carefully going from A to B without detection. I'm all about stealth and vulnerability; Crysis absolutely sucked for stealth because the suit was overpowered. That's the problem with games that try, naively, to mash together "completely different" ways of playing. Stealth only works properly if you're vulnerable, IMO; you need the tension. If you can also run and gun, it takes away the pain of getting discovered. And if Corvo is as badass as I'm given to believe, then the game is broken.

I'm also getting a strong Bioshock hype vibe, another tedious game.

PS: the Steampunk ref comes from the press release. The key sentence you can Google for and find in reviews and sales sites across the web is: "Dishonored is set in Dunwall, an industrial whaling city where strange steampunk- inspired technology and otherworldly forces coexist in the shadows"

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Oct 2012
  14. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

This game is complete and total garbage. 99%?! Are you kidding me? How much did you get paid to say it was almost perfect? :eyebrow:

I waited 'till I'd spent a few hours with the game before writing this, but dude, if this is best game you've played in ten years you shouldn't be commenting on PC games. Seriously, if you actually mean what what you've written about this game, you're a know nothing hack. Man, it seems with every article Bit-tech gets closer to being an absolute joke of a website I just don't want to come back to anymore.

I mean, for this game to be nearly perfect, at the leading edge of modern PC gaming, it needs to be fresh and new. The story line needs to be interesting, attention grabbing, you have to feel involved from the outset. It has to look good, really good, better than that which has come before it. Gameplay needs to provide a wide scope of interactivity with the environment, and offer the player a complex, intricate, and highly malleable world with which to interact. Stealth needs to be incorporated flawlessly, excitingly, providing moments of raw intensity.

This POS game comes nowhere near any of these lofty expectations of a near perfect PC game circa 2012. In fact, it is worse, much worse, than nearly every other game I can think of that I've played lately.

The graphics are totally laughable, the only good thing I can say about them is they're so outdated they run smoothly using a 6990 on a 30" 1600p display. The glowing boxes are so appallingly outdated, CoD 2 was like 10 years ago. Everything else about this pathetic effort looks dull and amateurish.

The story line is stupid and tedious. You're an accused body guard to some princess and you're trying to find her daughter and prove your innocence? Who cares? Am I really supposed to feel any sort of involvement with this boring, predictable, one dimensional garbage? Perhaps the review's author is 14 years old, that's why he loves it, 'cause that's who this POS game is aimed squarely at.

WTF?? BF3, for all it's myriad technical problems and increasingly noob player base, is a AAA PC game. Any one of the Civ series could easily be considered AAA PC games. TA and SupCom are AAA PC games. Oblivion and Skyrim are undoubtedly AAA PC games. These landmark titles were built on a lineage of proven gaming technologies, incorporating the old into the new, evolving into a fundamentally new form of entertainment, something unique, breaking boundaries, defying expectations.

How on earth, in any realm of possibility, does this stupendously average (definitely sub par, actually) and trite, 'me too' 360 port even come near the legendary marques of the PC gaming industry? You Sir, are tripping.

Oh, but it is terribad, it's worse than that. It's so 'by the numbers', on the rails, really, it makes me sick. Thief was awesome, but that was more than ten years ago, and this POS doesn't even come close to it!

Last edited: 16 Oct 2012
  15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Apart from that is it ok?

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Very nice, so you have formed a very strong opinion of the game based on its graphics and the premise of the story. I guess the later set piece missions are not important, the upgraded powers are irrelevant and the deep history of the world should be ignored.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

...And any reviewer who has formed a different opinion should be totally lambasted as a know-nothing hack. Mongy indeed! :p

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe:

I recall Joe praising the gameplay & the way things change in the game depending on how you play it, I think it's a pretty mint game & all the littered bottles & bits you can throw at walls to distract guards while you sneak past is nice.

It really depends a lot more on how you play the game, if you just march through the game killing everything it won't be as satisfying, if you get creative with your approach it will be pretty cool so can be as good or crap as you want it to be & that does make it a bit special really.

Take the actual rating with a pinch of salt & focus more on what he says in the reviews & you might be less disappointed if you make your purchases based only on a rating instead of all the bits that sound cool a reviewer mentions.

Games can have many elements of awesome note with few minimal elements of weakness for reviews so are quite different to hardware reviews where the score for all it's elements are important.

It can feel quite mirrors edgy mixed with a lot of crazy awesome powers, I don't regret purchase at all, only thing I do regret is it being that good it caused a bit of a delay on my project & I've nowhere near completed the game. :hehe:

Intro to the story is weak & doesn't seem to get much stronger but the game play is nice, the story doesn't need to be strong, game-world is nice, graphics it's one of those games that remind me why we don't need multiple GPU's yet so that's a +1 for me & many but it is nice & clear & not blurry like console games are, that's the main thing I don't like about console games, no definition & a blur fest. :D

I am not qualified to say if the story is weak or strong really because I've not completed it yet. :D

Good game, good review Joe. :rock:

19. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've now put enough hours into the game and got far enough that I feel able to comment...

Can't say I found it as good as Joe makes it sound. It just felt like poor mans supernatural-powered Thief 2. Some textures were great (swords, walls with signs on) some textures were terrible (hands, some tile and brick textures). It often suffered from the bloom-colour-saturation that seems to plague most Unreal Engine 3 games. The story was so cliche you could see each twist coming a mile off. Despite that, it was definitely enjoyable.

But to each their own; one review can't cater to every taste, after all. :) I just can't help but feel I've played much better games.

Overall, a decidedly average game. Not bad, but not the masterpiece the review makes it out to be. If I was being generous I'd have given it 80... if I wasn't, probably 65-70. It does what it does well, just not in a way that leaves me with a lasting impression.

20. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

just finished the game and although the ending is pretty meh i have to say i generally loved it, looking forward to another play through in a coupla weeks when i plan to be less sneaky and more MENTAL

Tags: Add Tags