1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft; Official Bit-tech server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stickeh, 6 Oct 2010.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I blew some stuff up from my old creative server... It was fun :)

2. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Two things impress me most:

1 - To fraps/record all of that exploding with such nice quality and no lag must mean you have a BEAST of a computer :)
    2 - The stuff you were blowing up was awesome! That dragon! Wow :)

Snaps to you! :)

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Heheh, I cheated :D. Camera Studio for smooth camera/player movements (used for the flyby shots), and Minema for smooth video recording :)

Minema slows down the game in order to let you record video that your machine otherwise might not be able to handle; very handy for scenes with lots of TNT or seriously graphically intensive mods such as Unbelievable Shaders. There is no way in hell I could have FRAPS'ed all those TNT blocks and nukes going off, my machine is nowhere near that powerful!

It took around 3 to 4 hours worth of setting up camera paths, TNT & redpower wire for one three and a half minute video :)

Yeah, there was some pretty damn impressive stuff on that server; sadly most of it wasn't built by me! The only thing of mine that was blown up in that video was the spawn point (the round building with the pixel art diamond pickaxe).

A friend of mine built the dragon, and it's very impressive indeed - always wanted to put some fire charge dispensers in its mouth hooked up to a rapid-fire redstone circuit and never got round to it...

4. tyquin

tyquin What's a Dremel?

looks freakin awesome. Have to get this game soon. I'm going to be posting for build advice for my computer. Once I get my computer i've got to try minecraft!!

5. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

Been busy with Borderlands 2. Thinking of building a Claptrap on the server :p would need a lot of wool though....

On a side note: Not sure what to do with the server. Should i turn it into a tekkit? I think minecraft kinda lost its attraction for me. I am not that creative and have no real inspiration lately. I could usually compensate with adminning, but is it just me or is the server almost deserted? Ohw well, since it's not costing much (justa bit of electricity) i'll keep it running for now :)

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My tekkit server ain't exactly a bustling metropolis either, at the moment...

7. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Last time I tried logging in, I couldn't get in, as it was down.

Now that I know...

8. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Can anyone give me any advice with regards to getting a very small private server going please?

I've downloaded the server client and run through the pages on Wiki for getting it running (including sorting the white list for privacy) but every time I try to get others in to the game they can't connect :wallbash:

Is there anything I might be missing to try? Do I need specific ports open on my router, do I need a static ip (I think I've seen that option on my router before just don;t know if it's standard!)

This is just a basic server no Bukkit or other plug ins just something that I wanted to play with a couple of mates after playing MP Minecraft on 360.

9. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

you need to forward a port to the minecraft server in your router. you'll want the machine the server is running on to have a static IP within your network. using a DNS isnt necessary, but without it youll have to hand out the new IP every time your ISP changes it on you.

TrevDX likes this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, for the port forwarding to work correctly (and reliably) the computer hosting the game will need a static IP, but only on the LAN side. A dynamic DNS service is probably the easiest way to hand out the address to your players, as you won't need to give them a new IP address each time your router gets a new WAN IP address assigned. But it's not entirely necessary.

You can set the port for a minecraft server to be whatever you want; 25565 is the default, but it can be changed in server.properties.

TrevDX likes this.
  11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I've been on a fair amount recently; been furnishing the insides of my creeper.

12. TrevDX

Thanks Wicked_Sludge & BLC :thumb:

Just think I'm getting myself unnecessarily confused with static ip & DNS....

Am I correct in saying that a standard home network ip starts 192. ?

And that the my global ip which in my case starts 8* is ok not to be fixed?

And to get my server operational the address will be my "global ip : port"?

Thanks again just trying to get my head around it and this is, quite obviously, my first time of doing this :sigh:

13. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Your network probably looks something like this:

Your PC ------- Router --------- Internet

The router divides the entire network into two smaller ones - your home network (in this example only your PC, but this can include many devices), and the external Internet. Your internal IP addresses (for the home network) begin with 192.168.x.x, with the router most likely running on 192.168.x.1. Your router also has an external IP address, for the rest of the Internet to see, which you say begins with 8. Just ask Google for your IP address to get your external IP.

Now comes the concept of port forwarding. Each service runs on a predefined 'port', a port being a number from 0 to 65535. A common port is port 80, which is used for HTTP which carries most of the Internet web traffic. A Minecraft server by default runs on port 25565. On your internal network, your computer's Minecraft server is accessible by 192.168.x.x:25565. This works fine as your computer's firewall allows port 25565 due to the running Minecraft server.
    But out on the Internet, the 192.168.x.x address means nothing. Trying your external address won't yield anything either, as your router has a built in firewall that by default denies all incoming traffic from the Internet side. Another problem is that you can have multiple computers hosting services running on the same ports - for example if 192.168.0.2 is running a Minecraft server, and 192.168.0.3 is also running one, the router has no idea, should a request come on port 25565 on the Internet side, which computer to send it to.
    Thus port forwarding needs to be set up on the router. This rule tells the router that all traffic arriving on the Internet side on port 25565 (Minecraft) should be sent to a particular IP address on the internal network. This also allows port 25565 through the firewall. If it is set up to allow port 25565 to reach 192.168.0.2, all traffic arriving on the Internet side (using your external IP address) on port 25565 will be redirected to 192.168.0.2 on the internal network, and through this, everyone can access your Minecraft server.

An analogy of this would be a guard at a security checkpoint to a compound. He knows that all traffic arriving should not be allowed inside the gates to prevent a security breach (the firewall). But he also knows that any lorries from NuclearWeapons'R'Us should be forwarded to the nuclear test laboratories (port forwarding). Thus the lorries (Internet traffic) get to the correct destination (your server) and they can drop off their cargo (game data).

To set up port forwarding, go to your router configuration page and go to firewall settings or the like. You may need to create a 'service' first at port 25565 (just use both TCP and UDP) then allow that in the firewall. Forward to your computer's IP, but you may want to set it as static so look below first.

Now we deal with static IP addresses. Each computer on your network is given an IP address by the router when they are turned on. Unfortunately, this can change depending on when the computer is turned on in relation to the others. This means that a port forwarding rule to 192.168.0.2 is valid until the machine is rebooted - then it cannot be guaranteed that 192.168.0.2 is assigned to the same computer. Imagine the confusion if the nuclear weapons shipment arrived at the cafeteria instead!
    The solution is to make your machine's IP address static. You first need to change the DHCP settings on your router - these are responsible for handing out the addresses. The range is probably defined as 192.168.x.2 to 192.168.x.254 - change the first one to 192.168.x.10 or something. This will stop the router assigning the first 8 IP addresses, so that you can use them as static IPs. These options are likely to be under LAN settings or similar.
    The next step is to change your computer to run on a static IP address. Assuming it is running Windows 7 - get to the Network and Sharing Centre, then click on Change adapter settings in the left pane. Right click on your network adapter and choose properties. Select Internet Protocol version 4 (or similar) in the drop down box, then click Properties. Choose Use these IP addresses, and set them to the following:
    Code:
    IP address = 192.168.x.2
    Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway = IP address of router, most likely 192.168.x.1
    And the DNS settings:
    Code:
    Primary = Router IP address
    If these settings prevent you from going on the Internet, try replacing the DNS settings with the following:
    Code:
    Primary = 8.8.8.8
    Secondary = 8.8.4.4
    This will set your computer to use the Google Public DNS servers.
    If you want pictures to guide you through the process, look at this guide here.

TrevDX likes this.
  14. TrevDX

Thanks LP Rob, much appreciated.

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

The server seems to have rolled back several weeks. A lot of my recent work as just disappeared. :waah:

Ay ideas what this might be, XM?

16. Xtreme_Machine

What the *beep* several weeks? I can't say i do, sorry :(

I did restart the server yesterday but it auto-saves when shutting down and the log proves this. I did not see any error while it was saving which is usually the culprit. Also i don't see corruption errors when the worlds are loaded.

Do you have some coordinates for me so i can check with hawkeye? That should have stored your edits independently so maybe i can fix something with that.

On a side note: I'll update the this server weekend, when EC's issues are fixed that is.

On a even bigger side note (is that how you say that?): I am now also running a killing floor server :) If you like to kill zombies, come join me :D (If it taxes the server to much so it's laggs MC please let me know. I feel it's fine but i'm not sure. If so, i'll kill the KF server again).

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Not sure exactly when I did all this stuff, but it's some fairly major work.

Rough co-ords:
    x: 277, y: 120+, z: -444

There was also a lot of stuff I did in the nether:
    277, 144, -442.5 Overworld
    35, 110, -55 Nether

18. Xtreme_Machine

@EC: still have to look into your work. Kinda forgot about it. Sorry :blush:

@All: I did try to update the server but i can't get the world17 and world18 maps to load. Multiworld spits out errors even after an update to the latest version. Not sure what is going on, i will have to investigate further.

Currently i brought the 1.3.2 server online again. Not what you guys where hoping on i guess, but at least that version is up and running.

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Any updates?

On a closer look, the server seems to have been reset to an even earlier date than I first thought.

20. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

I tried to join earlier but I get a message about the server out of date v1.3.

Do you have any plans to update or will I need to get a copy of 1.3? If so where can I get it from?

Cheers.