1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 6 Jan 2012.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

You guys are pussies with your quicksaves. I'm in IRON MAN MODE FROM THE BEGINNING!

PS - I don't expect to be able to save the world :D

2. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I haven't named any of my characters, but my main character (a sniper) that I have used since the start is a Dutchman and he got the nickname Deadbolt by random lol!

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Aaaaaaaarrgh!

For some reason Xcom stopped ordering my save games properly. Games I had saved suddenly started appearing half way down the list. No problem I thought, I will delete some of the older ones. I deleted about 10 of the oldest saves and then quit the game to do something else.

When I came back, the LATEST 10 saves had been deleted! I had definitely deleted the oldest ones as they were dated the 12th.

So - just beware if you are deleting old games - it seems after a certain amount of saves it gets a bit ****ed up.

I have lost the will to play this any more now.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2012
  4. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

Just for clarity deleting save games in game I assume?

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yes - in game.

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I have only the one save game at the moment, feck knows how many times I've reloaded it after the accidental loss of someone to a really lucky shot.

My fully ranked Sniper is just a death-dealing machine with her double-tap laser sniper rifle :)
    Starting to bring Rookies along as the 5th member of each mission so as to rank them up, whilst playing it safe with the others. Generally they get a shotgun and an arc thrower and I run them forward whilst the elite members pick off targets and weaken those that I want to capture.

Still haven't attacked the base yet, just trying to get a few bits and pieces of research completed first and to get my infrastructure up and running. Currently at §500 a month (after maintenance costs), so getting there.

7. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Awesome game, reboot done really well I must say.

I have assaulted the base and have the item from there researched, but have stopped for a a bit while I up my sat coverage and do some more reseach. I have all the laser weapons researched and some of the plasma ones.

So far havent lost any sponsers, and the lowest monthly rating I have is B.

My usual squad is, Sniper, 2x support, 2 x assault and one heavy, got them all at either Colonel or Major, just working on side leveling some replacements. Skeleton Armor with the sniper is awesome, lets me get to a decent vantage point real quick.

I did start again as the first time i was really gun ho and was getting my arse handed to me, restarted and am a lot more cautious about what I am doing.

Got to a really tough UFO landing last night, some kinda red Muton, with oddles of health, though he doesnt seem to hit me, but really pumps up the regular mutons.

8. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

A beserker? those guys are close combat only and can easily panic your units. although they have a tendency to stand out of cover and can be easy pickings for a plasma wielding sniper with opportunist.

I've just begun the base assault, I fear I may be doing it too late as I am fighting very tough enemies, heavy floaters in groups of 4, and half a dozen mutons with a couple of beserkers.
    I have plasma weapons and the first set of armour but the guides I have read online mention fighting sectoids at this stage.

9. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Things are going quite smooth for me, although I'm only playing on normal so far, not hardcore or anything.

But early in the game (like my first few entire days of playing) I have been totally focused on building lots of satellites. I think it paid off because the money is now really rolling in and by the time I got the first enemy base assault mission, I had the maximum squad size, all fully upgraded and all with pretty sweet gear - plasma rifles, plasma sniper rifles, upgraded scopes, etc.

The game is still a challenge though. It only takes one little mistake like being a bit too hasty, and I lose a guy forever. I just reload if that happens, but I at least like having a tough game with real consequences. Don't get too many of those.

10. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I cant remember if it was a cutscene during tutorials or when you research weapon fragments, but you are told the weapons have a selfdestruct when the user is killed etc.

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I think I did the wrong thing, and didn't get enough satellites up in the air in the very early stages of the game, meaning my money isn't going very far to rectifying the situation.

Hating how some soldiers seem to miss consistently, despite high percentages. Grr!

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Just had an insanely lucky Terror Mission.

Nothing but Chrysallids and the resulting zombies. Not all civvies became zombies, some just died.

Eleven Chrysallids, 4 zombies. Also managed to take zero damage :D

[​IMG]

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Same here - so far only able to get one satellite up. I keep getting missions to do which whittle down my available units (no-one has died yet but a few injured) and I seem to have been on 2 credits for hours!

Even having to go back to a save from 2 days ago doesn't seem to have changed my luck!

Still very disappointed with the AI mechanics - I would rather that the stats were rolled when you fired rather than at the start of the turn.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

NaloaC: My first terror mission I scored excellent across the board - lucked out and took out all aliens in 6 turns, before they could do anything but kill 4 civilians.

15. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I just give all my guys the improved scope, so missing isn't much of a problem. The better weapons seem to help too, plasma rifle and laser rifle etc. Just one of my guys has a medpack and one guy has a grenade, the rest use scopes. I also usually just send a whole team of colonels to everything, so they all kick ass. And the snipers get double tap which lets them shoot twice, so sweet.

16. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Classic Ironman mode.....died so many times. lol\

TO clarify, you get plasma pistols when you capture a live sectoid. And it changes for the other alien types.

I go alian materials then get the containment, hopefully capture a floater and can get half speed carapace....if not i have to rush it b4 the first terror mission to I dont get one shoted by chrysalids .

Then go to beam tech. Also Satalites are key.....dont put em up as soon you get em, wait for end of month or a 5 level panic country. No point putting em up otherwise except for increased UFO encounter chance.

Fun game, havnt completed yet as only played on Classic Ironman and I feel far more tension and achomplishemnt when i set new Personal bests and hit the next level of mission etc Iv never seen b4 as i havnt gotten that far.

love hard TBS games. :D

17. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I did the same but I think I might have got away with it. :D I reloaded back to immediately after I took out the alien base so I could focus on laser weapons as I had skipped them to focus on plasma but did not have enough funds/resources to build them and I had only captured live aliens when needed. The result was once I had researched the alien emitter thing it triggered the next tier of aliens and I was still using first tier weapons.

So after the restart I have kitted out the squad with laser weapons, captured as many aliens as I could, built a satellite relay and threw up some satellite's. I will concentrate on getting as much satellite coverage up as possible and managing attacks before I complete the next main objective.

18. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I am playing on normal, im thinking i should have gone a for a harder difficulty, get the proper xcom experience.

I may start again, i normally do this, play 2-3 games then scrap it and play a proper game all the way through.

19. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I don't agree with that, the sooner you have an active satellite network the sooner you will start to acquire not only the per country income but the cumulative effects of multiple satellites (extra engineers or scientists) per country including the 100% continent coverage bonus (like air and space for the Americas).

On top of that, once you combine that extra coverage with having at least one (preferably 2) Interceptors on each continents hanger, you’re in a much better position to detect and shoot down UFOs. This intern starts to give you huge hauls of ellerium, armour and weapons fragments, plus all the other salvage used for late tech upgrades, gear and facilities.

I have nearly (all but 3) countries covered, a Firestorm with either an EMP cannon or Plasma Cannon stationed on every continent and the amount of alien materials I recover is amazing and believe me, late game you will need them!!!

Because I am able to see what’s going on and intercept more, my panic levels are generally very low. I am near the end game now, with only Canada at Panic 4, and India at Panic 3. I have a huge base, a tooled up squad, enough Interceptors to invade their home world and a generous monthly income.

20. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Guys watch for spoilers please. :(