1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New EC regulations could kill off high-end graphics boards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Oct 2012.

1. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Well done Guinevere - seems NH has been taken over by the Mirror, Sun and Daily Mail combined!

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Bad idea. I did that, and I suffer massive amounts of micro stutter, it just does not work as well as a single high-end card, good if you can get it for cheap, but awful if you're paying full price and using cheaper cards.

3. bowman

bowman Minimodder

So we're going to be *smuggling graphics cards*.

Wow. This enviro-fascist ******** is really getting to the levels of implausible stupidity.

4. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

sounds like germany is heading this.. i've lived there for about 2.something years, not bad of a place and all rumors are true about it as well. but making u do it "their, EU" way sounds familiar... the perfect efficient household to go with the perfect family car, the volkswagen... mmmm i think i know where this is going.

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Exactly what I was going to suggest! Unlock tool/BIOS/special drivers (download only)

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm not concerned - there will doubtless be ways around it; although they are getting more efficient every year.

If not, AMD will be sh!tting themselves.

7. suragh

suragh Derp

LOL - The Dixon's one is pretty hilarious.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Actually, I've got an enquiry in with four European Commission departments right now, and as soon as they've got back to me I'll either be updating the story or - if it turns out that NH is talking out of the proverbial - writing an entirely new one.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I thought the general order was, do research then publish rather than the other way around. I guess you can't beat sensationalism for clicks.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's ridiculously unfair. I checked the PDF of the report, and it appeared to back up NH's claims - although I will readily admit that I didn't read the whole 325 pages, because I simply don't have time and NH claimed to have already done that.

As for not waiting for the EC to respond, I can only guess you've never tried to contact the EC. I'm expecting the response time to be measured in weeks, not days, if previous performance is anything to go by.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Would not mind seeing the end of Duel GPU single cards think they are a waste of space to begin with, Not many are likely to ever think of purcashing them.

For reference a current 680 has 192gb of mem bandwidth, 320gb is a good 128 gb away sounds like alot of a gap tbh.

580 has 192gb of mem bandwidth, 480 was 173gb of memory bandwidth. so things have not changed much in recent releases.

AMD have been pushing memory bandwidth heavily in recent years though,
    5870 was at 156gb of memory bandwidth
    5970 was at 230gb of mem bandwidth
    6970 was at 175gb of memory bandwidth
    7970 is at 264gb of memory bandwidth

all at stock speeds i dont have the time to include overclocked versions.

There is no 300gb card on the market if the 2 7970s on a single card we may see it hit that and above i guess.

Really though it should be done on total power draw for the card thats how most electronic items are rated for there effienciency from the A to F bands.

At the minute in the graphics market you have Nvidia reducing Temps and Power usage with increased performance and AMD increasing tempts power and performance. A total reverse turn around from the old days where most AMD cards were pretty frugal under load. ( ignoring the 4890 lol )

12. Deders

Deders Modder

I think there's an extra 0 or 1 in the 5,0001 MHz figure

Last edited: 15 Oct 2012
  13. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

IIRC there was some testing into microstutter somewhere which basically ended up concluding that SLI doesn't really suffer from it any more and Xfire works itself out with 3 cards.

Not that the AMD solution is really ideal, but it seems this isn't a problem for SLI at least – certainly not in my experience, but then it's not 2 "low end" cards I'm running ;)

14. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

My only reflection on this, having glanced through the relevant documents, is that the EU seems to have an absolutely inexhaustible number of departments, committees, organisations, bodies, and other dull, grey impedimenta designed solely to tie us all up in endless amounts of red tape.

As if the UK government wasn't capable of doing all that on its own.

16. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

It's slightly unfair, but not ridiculously so. I think what you should have have done is looked at the NH article and smelt the same rat I did, and I'm not a tech journalist. It just didn't pass the "make sense" test that I like to apply to situations before engaging my Outrage Drive. The EU may be f***ed up, but even they aren't THAT f***ed up. I just hope that you read the NH article before any of the comments appeared because some of the readers do a good job of debunking the "exclusive".

17. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Brilliant. It's just insane enough to be actually true!

18. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

That's it, I'm going to the US.

19. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

+REP

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Who cares... In a couple of years all we'll be able to play is the latest version of Angry Birds downloaded fresh from the Microsoft Store.