1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics SLI or new card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpannerSlammer, 2 Oct 2012.

1. SpannerSlammer

SpannerSlammer What's a Dremel?

Hi
    Frame rate is a major factor for me. I first noticed the drop on the darkness 2 (rubbish don't buy) and crysis 2. If I could get another 20%+ frame rate I think sli is for me

2. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I personally would stay away from SLI, as I suspect that I would be one of the people who would notice micro-stutter.

Why not sell your card and put it to a GTX670

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. SpannerSlammer

just looked a couple of other sites for this issue. Some claim that my P8Z68-V/GEN3 motherboard wont get a graphic or frame rate increase with SLI.

Anyone heard about this before?

thinking about getting an EVGA GF GTX 670 4GB instead now. is it worth paying the bit more for the 4gb over 2gb?

Last edited: 4 Oct 2012
  4. Manahotep

Manahotep What's a Dremel?

I personally totally agree with you. It's a hard choice to make but after a few years of benchmark surfing(not that am a benchmark guy) it seems that unless one of 2 things happen sli is a good bet IF you have the monitor(s) to support it . #1- dx __ changes in a meaningful way. Or you buy really high end cards. What I mean is if you blow 600 on a new card it is probably not a wise use of funds to buy a second one ... I mean hey if you have the dough go for it. However in one year the latest and greatest is probably gonna be knocking on your door. If you blew 300.00 on a card then it's not as massive of loss. Single cards no matter how much money I've spent always seem to get replaced in under 2 years whereas the sli I had lasted almost 4 years and to be honest I didn't realllly need to upgrade.

If your have a single monitor , unless its a 30" 2500x 1600 there is simply no NEED for sli period. Not that it is always about need but multiple monitors or 30" Ips monitors aside sli is about vanity .

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Only if you plan going Surround in the future, and even then 2GB is OK "most" of the time. It's just the odd occasions you headbutt the VRAM limit that the extra helps. For 1080p, it's a waste.

Example: I've been gaming happily on max or close-to-max settings @ 5760x1200 on a 2GB GTX680 since launch week.

6. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

No, save money and get the 2GB version.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Trade 570 for a 670?

OCing really does make the difference and unless you're in astronomical resolutions there's no need for a 680..too much.

8. SpannerSlammer

I think I'm gunna go for the single card upgrade. I was thinking of getting a MSI GTX 670 Power Edition OC. Looks good for around £300

Does anyone have the card or can recommend an alternative?

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm a big fan of EVGA so I may be a little biased - Scan are doing the 670 {param} edition for £303.

clicky

[edit] is the forum broken? "literal" tag isn't working!?

Last edited: 14 Oct 2012
  10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Cheesecake overrides the literal tags, been there before ;)

Worked OK in my SIG though.

Highly recommended, will keep up with a stock 680 out of the box and happily sail past with a touch of overclocking.

11. SpannerSlammer

What the hells Cheesecake edition? :eyebrow:
    Can u do another link as it won't work cheers

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

There some sort of inside joke on the forum where the initials f.t.w are replaced with the word cheesecake. Which I'm sure is great fun for those that get it. However when there's a graphics card series that use the same initials and the substitution is affecting links then the lulz kind of die off quickly.

http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=evga+gtx+670

Its card number two on the list.

13. David

Cuz cheesecake is full of win, therefore Cheescake = F T W

It's just a Bit-tech thing.

14. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

If you are running 3D SLI does make a difference. Just a FYI. I would prefer to have 1 awesome card with DX11 but I can't afford a nice 680GTX so I have 3 260 GTX (2 are BFG and 1 is PNY with different clock speeds) and I can't find a reason to change them. ATM I don't play the latest games due to funds so I can't give a comparison but for my needs the 4 cards I have are plenty(unless someone wants to gift me a game on steam to test).

P.S. I have not run in to the micro stutter with or with out using 3D.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

You should avoid SLI on low end nvidia cards / Or Crossfire on Low end AMD cards ( 570 is low end in this day and age ) the performance is very driver dependent and if you cant stand microstutter you could end up dropping settings on games to less than a single card can manage. If your playing more modern releases Borderlands 2, Crysis2 type games then microstutter will appear on low end cards as you dont have the overriding grunt to get them to produce top end settings.

SLI even to this day is still very much a driver dependent thing on the more modern games there may not even be sli supported on day 1 ( Last big release with SLI/CF issues was Splinter Cell Conviction( Game refused to run on SLI or CF systems would work fine on single cards, This was fixed about 6months after release, Had 2 580s and the game just crashed on launch with SLI enabled.). The biggest mmo player wise of them all still does not do SLI or Crossfire natively. ( played this myself for a long time and fps could go from 1 to 250 thats how stable SLI was in cataclysm, When i raided i disabled SLI.)

Sell the 570 for the reasons above.

Buy 1 670 job done, and maybe consider SLI that in a year or so if it starts to struggle. ( which is unlikely before the next consoles arive)

16. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

:jawdrop: The card just below the fastest (single GPU model) from just one generation ago is "low end"? Do you upgrade to every new generation and buy the top card each time?

EDIT: Also, this.

17. David

Oh, come on, fella. A 570 isn't cutting edge, but calling it low end is just silly.

Parge likes this.
  18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

:lol:

Once again, Spreadie brings some sense in an otherwise senseless world.

19. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I agree with all of the above. Low-end is my two dying 550s.

Back on topic; I'm glad to see the OP is going for a 670, rather than SLI'ing the two 570s, it ought to ensure they don't run into any driver issues.

For further reference; I'll only advise SLI if it works out easier/cheaper than getting a new card. Like in my case. (£55 for the second 550. Well worth it, IMHO.) Or if they're already on the 670-680 and still lusting for more frames because they're running stupidly oversized screens extremely large monitors.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Yes as does several on this forum.