1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

2. RTT

RTT #parp

great photos!

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Anybody interested in a VFR800 VTEC? I want to go back to a CBR600, ideally an RR.

4. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Any details on the viffer?

5. julianmartin

Yup...

2002 model, in Red.

I bought it last december from a Honda garage. It had no service history, so I made them give it it's big service (the expensive one) at a cost of £700. The guy who serviced it said there were no problems and realistically the previous owner probably serviced it all himself as it showed no signs of not being looked after. Tax and MOT until the end of December this year, no advisories on the last MOT. about 25k on the clock (under I think but it's too cold for me to go out and check :p) Might even be 23k. I put a set of Laser Xtreme exhaust pipes on her at a pretty serious cost. They will be fine through MOTs and I still have the baffles, and they give it a lovely low warble, not stupid volume either.

I bought it to go touring but the wife slipped a disc so she's not really up for biking anymore, so I want to go back to a straight 4 to have a bit more fun on. Bought a big car for the touring trips.

In generally very good nick, tank has a small ding and there are some scratches on either side of the fairing so either the bike fell over (slowly I reckon) with the previous owner or they got too close to the garage doors or something. No sign of a tumble at speed. Starts on the button, never had a problem with it. If I was riding more than once a week I wouldn't dream of getting rid of it, but there's just no need for me to have a bike this comfortable and capable of doing everything. In addition I'm quite a small guy so there's also not much point in me dealing with the weight and size of it if I'm not going to use it for the sports touring that it's made for, a 600 is much more appropriate for me.

But, it's a bike that has genuinely been used including in the rain, so that's why I'm thinking only about £2500 for it which is an honestly good price, but that's me being honest in that it isn't brand spankers.

PM me if you want some pictures.

6. RTT

RTT #parp

If it fell over, it's usually confirmed by corresponding scuffs on the bar ends, fork lowers (by the spindle), pegs, rear brake/shifter, brake lever/clutch, and mirrors.

The odds are that if there's only marks on the fairings (and the bar ends, etc, don't look newer than anything else) then it hasn't been dropped, and has probably hit garage doors or something, as you said

i've looked at far too many bikes for mates buying 2nd hand!

7. dieharder

dieharder What's a Dremel?

Embed vimeo video

8. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

just wow. that video is amazing!
    I have to agree with the guy at the end, for me its just too awfull. but that what makes it special.
    its a very personal thing to make and I agree with his philosophy, would love to see that thing in person

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Advice, guys. This is my hit list for a bike to replace my CG125:
    -Yamaha TDM900
    -SV650
    -XJ6 Diversion
    -CBR600F

I got quotes and to my astonishment the TDM900 is the cheapest to insure. I'd have thought it would be the Diversion. Anyway, I like comfort and reliability and I don't give a damn about lethal acceleration or cornering (what most riders call 'fun', in other words). I ride in all weathers and do some long distances. Which do you think?

10. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I'm sitting my DAS mod 2 next weekend. Been riding a Honda CB500 when learning up in Scotland but I've recently moved south and will be sitting the test on a Suzuki GS500. I've been looking at the Street Triple for afterwords. Any owners?

11. julianmartin

Every street triple owner I have met absolutely loves it. I seriously want one but don't have the dollar. Nice bike indeed.

12. Cabe6403

It's the opinion I'm getting from a lot of people which is quite reassuring :D

I'm looking at some of the earlier models (2007-2009ish) because

1) They're cheaper
    2) I don't want to drop a new bike (everyone drops a new bike)

13. RTT

RTT #parp

Medic!!! :eyebrow:

14. RTT

RTT #parp

I've never dropped a bike :)

I was going to replace my STR, but I decided I liked it so much I got a new bike and kept the STR. Just can't let it go.

And in my (biased :D) opinion, the older ones are better. Round headlights for starters! Seen the new '13 model? *barf barf barf*

Here's my '08, and honestly, I enjoy it more than the Duc.

[​IMG]

(edit: the 1050 behind it is not the new bike :p)

Last edited: 31 Oct 2012
  15. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

That is brilliant and says so much about building bikes and also about building/modding PC's as for me it's like Jack said in the video, it's about learning and the pride and satisfaction of using your hands to make something and I'm sure it's the same for many other people.

I've built and restored many bikes and been riding 35 years but as I now have really loud tinnitus I don't ride very far as it aggravates the tinnitus and I fear it might permanently make it worse and it's bad enough already so I now build/mod PC's instead of bikes.

This is the last bike I customized a Yamaha FZX called a Fazer in the USA, it was very tatty so I streetfightered it, I rode it for 4-5 years and still have it but it's now in bits awaiting another rebuild which probably won't happen as I can't justify building bikes I'm hardly going to ride :sigh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fitted a FZR 1000 front end and the complete back end from an XJR 1200, R1 tail piece and made a fibre glass dummy tank top and ran the middle two air filters up through it, the intake noise is loud when it's right under your chin when riding, it was a good reliable fun bike and I did nearly 30,000 miles on it.

16. RTT

RTT #parp

that is awesome!

17. Cabe6403

I agree! The round headlights look so much better :thumb:

RTT likes this.
  18. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Just bought my first road bike

Only have my CBT so for now i bought a CBF 125, 2009 model, 2500 miles on the clock, immaculate, got this with full year MOT for £1000. i think i got a deal :D

This will get me out and about until i am ready to take my test for DAS when the good weather returns next year.

Colour me a happy bunny :thumb:

19. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Gratz! I enjoyed my time on the CBF 125, it's a cracking first bike :)

20. Cabe6403

Passed my DAS mod 2 on Saturday :)

Now... to buy a bike *rubs hands together*