1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Monsieur R.

Monsieur R. In cornichons I trust.

Hummm... Nice nice nice ! :clap: Will you keep the copper finish of the pipes, or will you anodized them so they would look like shining chrome ?

BTW, you couls also polish them and get that kind of effect :
    • [​IMG]
      Peugeot ONYX Concept Car - 2012 // Carbone Fiber + Copper

2. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

Fantastic :clap:

Bending 1/2" copper pipe would never work, the bend radius is too wide for a system such as yours, the fittings look awesome!

You can get very good bends in copper but your tube bender may not be good enough for the job. If the tube doesn't fit snug it'll never be perfect, and anything less than perfect is never good enough for you. You can also get malleable copper which bends much better, but you have enough trouble getting 12mm tube already without looking for a different alloy :D

3. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

the combo of the fittings with the copper is awesome and looking really good (assuming you're going to polish that copper :thumb:)... :clap:

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Awesome work, as always.:D
    If you want to do the bends, would it be possible to do it in your bender-friendly native size, and somehow solder little bits of the 12mm on the ends?

I've been poo-pooed about recommending a bending spring before, but they help some people. (Edit: oh, right no 12mm spring available.:duh:)

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Awesome clamps, I think I remember filing acrylic being more difficult than aluminium with the file getting clogged up more :D nice progress Attila, those bits look sweet polished up. :jawdrop::clap:

6. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

I am glad the tube bender did not work, because that looks fantastic. :thumb:

Beautiful pipe clamps, the result of always Thinking I guess. :lol:

7. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Awesome work, Attila!

8. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Can't believe I've never seen this build log till now... Just spent around an hour reading through the whole thing and your skills are amazing mate!

9. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Attila, doing well mate!

Build me one :p

10. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Imma cry now, k?

11. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Really really nice! Ok, not nice... AMAZING!!

12. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Great work Attila, your last pic deserves repost :D

13. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

curse you! i was so mesmerized by that my eyes turned to dust and fell out!!! think i may need a new pair too...

an another note: fantastic work as always, atilla:thumb::jawdrop:

14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

You did of course notice that it's a peugeot, right? *COUGH* neverbuyFrenchcars *Cough* :lol:

15. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

could care less. the body, ohh the body. the thing that REALLY got me was the headlights tho. the headlights can really make or break a car. and if i ever spend above 100k on a car itll be a viper or death. or maybe a f12 ferarri berlinetta.

16. Maseo

Maseo What's a Dremel?

You sir, define the word; craftsman. This design is just jawdropping.

I could imagine this case in a gunmetal-ish colourscheme. So much i couldn't resist 'peeking' through photoshop..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Got an email from this worklog - decided to read the updates/comments since last time I checked in on it. Here I am, 30 minutes later, nagging a bit about how I actually DON'T like blue vs. copper. It just looks wrong on my eyes.

However, the rest is just beyond any of us, really. I am in awe.

18. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

never fails to stun me this build....also you need to make me some feet for my case lol!

19. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks mate. :thumb:

Thanks. No the pipes will be nickel. :)

Yes I've done some reading around and it appears that my bender is not suitable for the job. Thanks. :)

Thanks. :thumb: The copper will be polished but then it will get a new coat. ;)

Thanks. :thumb: No I cant do any solder work on account it's going to be plated. I think the springs will just present more problems. I really like how it's looking now.

Thanks Wayne. :thumb: Yeah filing acrylic is very different from alu. When you push the file it just wants to go in the direction of the cutting pattern. You really have to fight it to go where you want it to. :hehe:

Haha, thanks Craig. :thumb:

Thanks mate. :)

Thank you. :)

Haha, thanks. :thumb:

Don't cry mate. :hehe:

Thank you. :thumb:

Thanks Bill. :thumb:

Thanks. :)

Thank you. That colour is almost black but the colour I have is quite a bit lighter. ;)

Ah you do this all the time nutman. Wait. I'm still building and I don't like that colour combination either. ;) Oh, and thanks. :thumb:

Thank you. :)

When the weather gets warmer, as it has in the last few days, I drop work on the chassis and continue with the body.

A milestone of sorts. All the panels have received their final coat of primer. :clap:

Here I'm doing the last bits of wet sanding before final primer. I'm using 600 grit here.

[​IMG]

There is plenty of 'orange peel' here, so this all needs to be taken back to a flat surface.

[​IMG]

Here you can see in this photo, (even though the center section has been dried) that the reflection almost looks as if it were still wet. It's very smooth and flat.

[​IMG]

All the painting has been done outside my workshop until now. The final coats of colour and clear will be done in the garage.

[​IMG]

Sometimes what you think will be final just isn't. Here a drop paint fell onto the panel. I sanded it down and thought all was good. But when I resprayed it, a small depression could clearly be seen. So this area was sprayed with some filler, re-sanded and then coated again with primer.

[​IMG]

So here is the nose section in final primer. It will be wet sanded with 800/1000 grit just prior the finishing coats. I'm very happy with how this turned out. :)

The switch holder insert will be painted matt black. Here it's still in primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Holy sh*t!:jawdrop: