1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Everything about Microsoft Surface - Pre-order, price and design decision

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 16 Oct 2012.

1. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Going to wait for Pro, no point in app shop RT version...

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The Nexus 7 build quality isn't there. Every review I read, say "FOR THE PRICE, it's good tablet". And not simply: "it's a good tablet". Also the 200$ model has only has 8GB of storage. There is no 32GB model to compare the price with the RT. The battery is only 16Wh and only has 1GB of RAM.

Also the Tegra 3 chip on the Nexus 7 is the slow model (Tegra 3 T30L).

The Nexus 7:
    -> 1.2 GHz (1.3GHz with boost) Quad core
    -> GPU: 416 MHz
    -> Supports DDR3 @ 667 MHz.

Surface RT (Tegra 3 T30):
    -> 1.4 GHz (1.5GHz with boost) Quad core
    -> GPU: 533 MHz
    -> Supports DDR3-L @ 750 MHz.

And only has 1 camera.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I must admit I am liking the look of these, especially the Pro version but will have to see some reviews of it first.

4. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

@ GoodBytes Is the weight of the Surface pro correct?

I suspect people think it's overpriced because they think the ipad represents the pinnacle of mobile computing, and nothing could ever be better, unless it has an apple logo.

I'm very keen to try one out, and if its as good as I hope, I'll be replacing my ipad with one.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I own one and tbh, I beg to differ. The build quality is pretty damn good. As good as any iPad I've had.

6. GoodBytes

Yup, 2lb apparently, based on Microsoft Surface Pro specs page.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-8-pro/specifications

7. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

GoodBytes likes this.
  8. GoodBytes

Oops. hehe. Sorry Thanks.
    I did fix it, but forgot to upload it. It's done, so Ctrl+F5

+rep

9. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Having just bought the new iPad I do think people moving from an ipad to a surface will be disappointed. The screen is simply amazing and imo 1366x768 just isn't enough anymore (see also asus transformer).

Personally I will probably buy the second generation surface, giving it enough time to iron out winRTs flaws and give developers a chance to make/port some apps, as many of the apps at the moment are a bit shocking really.

10. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

There's a 32GB Nexus 7 coming in at the £189 price point to replace the 16GB one. Mine is extremely well made, no issues at all.

I doubt the Surface is going to feel any faster in use given how similar the two chips are, but the fairly large difference in pixel density is definitely going to be noticeable.

Don't get me wrong, the Surface looks very nice, but I don't think I would choose to buy one at that price. It's actually more expensive than my Nexus 7 and 11'' laptop combined.

11. GoodBytes

Yes, I just saw an article on this. I didn't know about the 32GB version, just announced.

It's funny how everyone is deeply scared of the Surface, freak out by announcing products which they will sale at or near cost. I was expecting none of the manufacture to do anything, as I think they all have their strengths and would be confident in their product. I would at least.. or wait until see sales drop. I think its potential money loss for the company, as profits will be diminished. I think a string marketing could have solved any doubt. Then again, I don't run a multi-million/billion dollar company.

Apple iPad mini, will be a mess:
    Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iPad-Mini-Release-Specs-Launch-24-Models,18479.html

12. GoodBytes

13. TMhat

TMhat frupsie bumsies

There are quite a few more offical apps included with the iPad than you've listed.

Also whilst the cheapest prices of the two tablets are comparable, the Surface is being marketed with the keyboard cover - infact it was what a lot of people took away as the big innovation at the Microsoft presentation earlier this year. The iPad keyboards are third party - the majority of iPads I see on the train do not have physical keyboards because a software keyboard will do for most people who have been trained by smartphones. Personally I've never needed a media card reader for my iPad but I'm sure it would be useful for those that require it.

I think Surface may get reasonable sales from the more technically minded, but Apple has now captured the mainstream whilst being able to maintain high margins. I can see Windows RT/Surface being popular as work tablets too...for businesses that haven't already bought into iPads.

14. GoodBytes

I listed what was on Apple website, and removed the silliness "apps" like: "Clock".
    [To: Apple]
    Really it has a clock! WOW! Magical! A clock! It's like if Office mentioned in its feature list that you can open and save a document. :rolleyes:
    [/end]

If you mean that there are other programs not listed on Apple page that comes with the iPad, than I can add the following on the Surface: News, PDF & XPS Reader, Sports, Travel, Weather, Smart Glass, People, Messaging, SkyDrive and Finance Apps as well, which also comes on Windows RT/8. I don't have an iPad in front of me to know exactly the provided apps, I just say what it says on the page. But if you want to give me the full list, I'll be glad to update the table, for a more fair comparison.

I agree with you, and that is why the version without the cover sold out, but I think its one of those features that "its nice to have", if you get what I mean.

As for the media card. It's nice to be able to expend the storage of the device, and can swap files, pictures, music, video in and out with ease.

The Surface is only available online to my knowledge. And if it arrives in Microsoft Store, they are so few stores, that having access to the Surface is difficult. So I expect sales to be low. And I think Microsoft knows this, else they would put it on store shelf. I don't think Microsoft is ready to do this will be too much for OEMs, as it will actually touch their territory.

From what I can see, the Surface is aimed at us. It's aimed at a small market that seek quality over substance, an seeks for the best possible experience, at the cost of a having to pay a premium price. I mean look at our computers and what not. We are not buying the 40$ motherboard and cases. Everything is fancy inside. Its really, as you said, for tech enthusiasts, and aren't afraid of ordering something over the internet.

15. GoodBytes

Microsoft releases new Surface ad, which provide a full run down of what Surface is, and does.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Slicker than a greased eel in a bucket of snot. :D

17. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

I want one <3

18. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I reckon they missed a trick by not showing two apps on screen at once, perhaps a skype conversation and a web browser IE.

Talking of which, can you change the default programs on RT? I've assumed you can, but not seen it confirmed. It's possibly my biggest gripe with ios.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2012
  19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I would imagine so, since you can on the x86 version of Windows. Although different under the bonnet to accommodate a different CPU, the GUI and how it behaves appear to be exactly the same.

20. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

So for those considering the Surface Pro, what's the most you'd pay? (base model w/ type cover). For me it's around £800