1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows WarZ

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by subset7, 16 Oct 2012.

1. subset7

subset7 Spanking the Monkey

Anybody planning on preordering this to get early access to the Alpha and BETA?,think i'll give it a go,see how it compares to DayZ.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Think I'll wait for reviews but definitely interested! DayZ was a good taste of what this might be like, and if its fun, I'll defo be jumping in.

What do you get as a bonus for pre ordering apart from early access?

3. subset7

subset7 Spanking the Monkey

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I think some CTRL-C & CTRL-V action has been going on with the WarZ devs:

[​IMG]

Source.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I have 3 Guest serial numbers to give out for the Alpha.

The first three people that send me a PM gets one each! They are valid for 48 hours...

mattyh1995 took the first one.
    defined took the second one.
    Parge took the last one.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2012
    mattyh1995 likes this.
  6. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

A couple of things people should read before buying the game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

It looks like the sort of game for people who are put off by the higher levels of realism in Day Z, looks like one to watch though..

8. defined

defined Botch-Job

I would love to take one if yue still got one spare

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Check your PM.

10. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

All gone now. I hold no responsibility for the quality of this game. I was just curious as to how bad it would be really! It's still downloading for me so I have not yet had the pleasure...

Edit---->

After the first hour...

There is no doubt that this is a complete rip off of DayZ. The engine is still a bit clunky - it's an alpha so I suppose that's to be expected. I like the idea that you can't respawn again after dying for 50 minutes - you have 5 character slots so you can use another one in the meantime. Unfortunately it is already a gank-fest with people killing you straight after spawn - it's very frustrating.

I couldn't really get a good idea of how nice it looked as the server I was on was currently in the night cycle, but the flashlight worked well enough and it did give you a kind of creepy feeling.

The 'zombies' are nowhere near as sensitive as in DayZ - you can walk amongst them without too much trouble. I have not yet tried out-running them, but it may be more problematic than in DayZ as you have a limited sprint capability - looks like it would last about 5 minutes before you run out of 'energy'.

Anyway, so far, if Dean Hall has played this, he would not be worrying too much.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2012
  11. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I'll give this game a miss, it's just a hastely made, poor mans DayZ.
    That said, given DayZ has hardly any servers left that stick to the vision Rocket had for the mod (brutal and unforgiving), I might not buy DayZ either.

12. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yeah - it's early alpha and to be honest not looking that great at the moment.

What is worrying is that on the official forums they are deleting threads as fast as they are being made. I have probably made about 20 posts there discussing various things and I am now down to a post-count of 3!

The problem is that they are still sticking to their claim that this game has been in development for 2 years. Playing the game for 5 minutes and it is blatantly obvious that this is a DayZ clone. Nothing wrong with that - healthy competition is good for everyone, but the fact they are sticking to this story is quite embarrassing.

I don't think that this is a scam like some of the more vociferous posters on YouTube claim, but I do think they have a lot of work to do to get it right.

There are some nice ideas there though. I like the fact you can create multiple characters and I like the shared inventory between them (although it is being abused at the moment). I hope they continue to work on it.

Unfortunately it is being hacked already (although you wouldn't guess this now as they have deleted every post alluding to this!). That's a fact of online life I suppose and they have the time to try and sort it. They are using the old War Inc engine though and I think that people are just porting the hacks over.

I am going to give it a rest for a few weeks and see how it is after that.

13. Quuwahi

Quuwahi What's a Dremel?

I was tempted to play this. however I was put off by a few things.

In a zombie Apocalypse i don't think i would have all these modifiable guns, but maybe im looking in the wrong place lol.

14. *Alex*

*Alex* What's a Dremel?

good luck finding any of them haha ive had no luck finding anything yet, and why would they not be there its set in america witch is full of gun nuts so im sure there would be plenty kicking about ;)

15. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

I think the fact that it's a stolen idea is irrelevant. The guys who made DayZ don't care, so why should we? Non-the-less I'm not interested in it, I much prefer DayZ to this.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

An unfortunate yet largely unavoidable exaggeration of video games. Even DayZ, awesome as it is, bothered me a bit with its weapons. Why are there so many American and British weapons in the supposed ex-Soviet state of Chernarus? Why are there so many military weapons in general relative to civilian models? Who leaves a rifle and ammunition just laying around in a barn?

DayZ can blame ARMA 2 for many of its problems, but every survival game comes back to the same problem of reality just not being that fun in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Even in locations where gun ownership is more common it's not as if those people will be leaving them behind to be looted, and what they did own were more likely to be civilian sporting or defense firearms. Who wants to spend hours looting only to find some bolt-action .22 which was long forgotten in someone's garage? Well, maybe someone does but it's not enough for developers to cater to them. It's more fun to find a fully automatic M4 with a reflex sight, grenade launcher and suppressor, likely found in something like a police station under the reasoning that it was for riot control or some other silly thing.

I suppose that was a bit off topic. Haven't played WarZ to see first hand how bad it is about exaggerating reality and to be honest am not at all interested in trying it from the various red flags it's triggered checking it out.

17. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It's even more exaggerated that DayZ at the moment. Because there is a 'global inventory', people are collecting guns, logging out, storing guns in their global inventory, rinse and repeat. So, people have hundreds of guns to share amongst their 5 characters (and clan mates I suppose).

They made a change last night creating 'safe zones' - three areas on the map which are now the only areas where you can access your global inventory. This was done in an attempt to alleviate the problem of hoarding - it hasn't really worked. Bandits stalk the safe zone and people are still hoarding. In fact there is a safe zone just a few seconds walk from where the games most powerful gun (a Mauser) spawns with frightening regularity.

Also, initially they said there would be no inventory wipe between Alpha and Release. Because of the hoarding I think this has become untenable - they are going to have to wipe as otherwise new players will not stand a chance.

I think the problem they have is that they have put a lot of effort in getting the the point where they have cloned DayZ, but they have not really thought a lot about where they want to go with it next. Some of the design decisions are only being made now which is causing them some balance issues. At least with DayZ, Dean Hall looks as if he had an 'end game' in mind, to which he was driving the design - I am not sure that WarZ has that vision yet.

It's not a bad game by any means and as I said before there are some good ideas lurking about in the game. I just think that in their rush to get this to a playable state before DayZ standalone (and I have no doubt that was their aim) they have lost sight of the overall design. I hope it does recover though as I think some serious competition to DayZ will help stretch the genre.

Both games still suffer from the bandit problem though. Not that I am against banditry - it would be a fact of life in this situation. It's just that there is no real consequence to banditry, either moral or in terms of real risk. I think if characters were tied to a particular server then prolific bandits would become 'known' and it may encourage 'survivors' to spread the word of their location and perhaps band together to hunt them - or at least band together to avoid them. I think that at the moment both games are just a big PvP sandbox with no real feel for post apocalyptic survival.

I am interested to see where they both go to with regard to design though and I think it's a genre worth encouraging.

18. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Most of the video has no relevance but skip to 7.32.

This guy has been posting video in regards WarZ for sometime. The 7.32 is audio from a Developer Cheating with Admin commands.

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Let's put it down to the developer testing the mechanics of things...

Having gone back and played some DayZ in the last couple of days there is still a massive gulf between the two. One example is that terrain detail is not controlled server side on WarZ which means you get some people playing with no clutter (grass, bushes etc) and some playing with full clutter on the same server - you can imagine what this means - cue lots of bitching on the forums.

Looking at a lot of the posts on the forums, I don't think that people are particularly embracing the survival aspect either. Mostly people seem to be upset that there may be a loot wipe before release - meaning those 64 mauser rifles they have stashed will be gone. This is also a basic concept of WarZ I cannot understand - you can hoard so much loot that there is no way that this is going to be about survival - it will turn into pure PvP. Sure this happens on DayZ too, but it is not so blatant.

Anyway as I said before, I think the WarZ guys need to have a longer discussion with themselves about what kind of game they actually want to make. At the moment it is too much of a hybrid.

Lastly - apologies to those I gave keys to - it seems a number of people have had issues using the free 48 hour keys that were given out. I asked about it in the forums but they deleted my post!

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I watched the whole of the video at that guy had caused some big upsets with developers and fan boys alike. His account is now banned from the forums.

I am steering clear of WarZ, and Dayz in itself has had it's own problems. The hackers etc but hopefully things will get sorted.