1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Does hyperthreading help or hinder?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terrorbyt, 19 Oct 2012.

1. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Ran FurMark just now for 15 mins on max res and graphics card reached 69C but no stability issues. I'll run Prime95 but it means not using my PC for 24 hours which is a bit of a pain.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Well given that Furmark is ok and when you run a cpu intensive game it keels over fairly quickly. I doubt that you'll need to run prime for 24 hours before you see a fault.

3. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Had Prime95 running for the past 3 hours so far, no errors of any sort. CPU temperature has peaked at 63/64C. When should I stop it do you think?

4. theshadow2001

Try running both benchmarks together and see what happens. That is furmark and prime let it run for a while.

terrorbyt likes this.
  5. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Ok well I've ran Furmark alongside Prime95 for over an hour now and the only think I've noticed is the CPU increased to about 68C. After switching Furmark off it's back down to 64C. I don't understand why it can handle torture tests but not games.

6. theshadow2001

Maybe someone else can chime in with a few ideas

7. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

What hdd or ssd are you running on? If it is an hdd I would check the drive for bad sectors and auto fix and repair. It is possible that there is some form of corruption. Also is everything parched and service packed, and running latest drivers, including sound drivers?

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

- Last resort:

Format then install only:
    win7 + SP1 GPU drivers and flash/.net.
    install game.

If this doesnt work you have hardware issues.

9. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Finished running Prime95 after 19 hours, 0 errors, 0 faults. CPU is idling at 35C now. I'll try checking my HDD for bad sectors, it's a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm.

10. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

When I first built my PC I partitioned it into two sections, OS (C drive, 100GB) and E drive (1.7 TB). I have drivers, OS and such on the C partition and everything else on the E partition. Can I uninstall Windows and reinstall without having to format the whole hard drive? I don't have an external hard drive in which to backup my data so reinstalling Windows isn't really an option at the moment unless I can do it without formatting everything.

Btw I used the Windows error and bad sector recovery tool and it found no issues in either partition.

edit: @dancingbear84, how to I update my sound drivers? I tried with device manager but apparently they're up to date (according to windows). I have on-board sound btw.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

Yeah, I do pretty much the same thing, all you have to do is quick format the windows partition during setup and away you go.

I've outlined a way to automatically make 99% of programs Install onto your E drive here Post 11.

You can get Drivers from your motherboard's website, also Realtek might have some more up to date ones on their site.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Onboard sound not Realtek by any chance, as it has issues with certain AMD cards under win 7 64bit, that causes drivers to crash.

There's a relitively easy fix for this

Right click on vid card check propities tab and see what pci bus it's on, then do same for audio.
    Then go into system devices disable the pci bus that matches your vid card then remove the audio drivers.

Restart system
    Reinstall drivers for audio Job done everything will work again.

Know issues with 5 and 6 series nvidia 5/6/7 series AMD.

Hope this helps

13. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Wow thanks a lot, bookmarked :)

Turns out I haven't updated my Motherboard's BIOS, and to do this I have to flash my motherboard. I'm using a program made by MSI (my mobo's manufacturer) which automatically downloads the files for me. It keep saying to disable the "BIOS Protection" setting in the BIOS but I can't find this setting anywhere. Also a warning pops up when I try to flash with my USB saying that if I mess it up it will break the board.

Can anyone who's flashed they're mobo before help me out please?

Will have to try this once I've sorted my BIOS out :)

14. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

No comment on msi as i have only used asus boards, but if a bios flash goes bad then it will totally screwed your board. Short of a power failure very little will go wrong. I had one wonky bios flash in 7 years and a close reset fixed that particular issue.

15. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Don't know how to disable the pci bus, and wouldn't that disable my video card?

16. Deders

Deders Modder

My MSI motheroard has an AMI bios, for me it's the 2nd option down in the Advanced Bios Features menu,

17. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

This is what my BIOS looks like, can't find the option anywhere...
    [​IMG]

18. Deders

Deders Modder

Is it the M-flash section?

19. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Found this link, which then goes on to moan at anyone who isn't a seasoned BIOS flasher for being a moron. http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=119375.0

It recommends not using M-Flash or the LiveUpdate tool. I don't understand anything the 'are you a moron' link is going on about so I may just not flash at all...

20. Deders

Deders Modder

I wonder how exactly he expects people to upgrade their bios? I've been updating through windows ever since I got this board, never had any issues.

I can't even open the are you a moron link, it tells me an error has occured and "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

Tbh that post is 5 years old, modern bios's won't even fit on a floppy disk anymore.