1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Scrolling button mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Dudey109, 16 Sep 2012.

1. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

Hi guys,

Im in the middle of a mod but im not sure how to go about the last step on my list.

Basically i'm having an additional screen in my setup which will be displaying a webpage in Chrome at all times. I use Firefox for all my other browsing
    This Chrome page auto updates when there is new info added to the page, but if ive not checked this screen for a while new updates could require scrolling down the page to see everything which has been posted.

Now if say i was in a game on the PC my scroll button on my mouse is controlling ingame controls.
    I want to have another scroll wheel or maybe buttons elsewhere on the screen/case/somewhere that will always control Chrome whether its the selected application and wont effect my other applications. Is this possible? How would i go about doing this.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Valor958

Valor958 What's a Dremel?

I had a few ideas on how this would work, but in the end, most would probably interfere with or override the primary mouse/keyboard. I can't think of a way offhard to have a secondary input device control that specific function of that page.
    You could try assigning a hotkey for a macro, and program it to function that way. Even in that case, I would have a hard time describing how to do that without knowing exactly how everything was set up and formatted.
    This is definitely an interesting idea though. Maybe someone else here has an idea?

3. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Griffin Powermate... I have three !

You can set a configuration for different applications, or have a global setting.

dunx

4. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

Excellent so its possible, i didnt really want to have a seperate device and that seems a bit big to mount where i thought to put it.

On the other hand i have a Cyborg Rat MMO mouse with lots of buttons i haven't assigned yet. Could that be an option?

Jake

5. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

Still finding it difficult to find anyway to use a shortcut in Windows to effect chrome when it isn't the selected application. Everything else is now up and running its just this which im struggling with finding a solution.

Jake

6. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

Look into autohotkey. Very handy for this type of stuff and plenty of examples on their forums.

Dudey109 likes this.
  7. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

How did i not see this sooner! Excellent thanks mate thats exactly what i needed!!!

Created 2 simple scripts for doing this. Since the same page is displayed in Chrome all the time this is all i had to do

#enter::
    ControlSend,,{Up} , Pagename - Google Chrome

#space::
    ControlSend,,{Down} , Pagename - Google Chrome

(Pagename is actual page name displayed at the top of Chrome)
    So if i press Windows key and enter it will scroll Chrome up once, Windows Space will pull it down.

I might make them #space123456 and #space1234567 or something so i wont accidentally press this and then Macro these key presses to extra buttons on my mouse! :D

I'm very pleased with this solution. Rep for you sir!