1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I think I will go with the upgrade from windows 7 pro, was home premium 64bit to anytime upgrade pro. That will kill my licence so I have a Vista home premium 32 bit not in use I purchased off Amazon, the motherboard died I installed it with.

So in theory legally I could use windows 7 on another PC, is that correct?

2. impar

impar Minimodder

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Windows 7 license is the same as Vista.
    So, OEM Vista license is not transferable. Activation will fail. However, if the motherboard board broke, and you could not find a replacement, and you had to change the motherboard (and had to adjust the rest of the hardware accordingly, for compatibility (ie: new CPU, new memory)), then yes you can activate your license of Vista. A phone activation will be required.

Retail and Upgrade licenses aren't locked to the system.

If you install Windows 8 Pro Upgrade on a OEM license of Windows XP, Vista or 7, that that license will change to UPGRADE license (Windows 8 license takes over). So that means you will no longer be tied to the system.

And if you ask, yes you can change from 32-bit Vista to Windows 8 64-bit. If you run the upgrade from Vista, it will simply move your Vista install to Windows.OLD folder, and install Windows 8. So it will be a clean install of Windows 8. More win for you. PLUS, no mater edition of Vista or 7, you'll get Windows 8 Pro, which is the highest edition of WIn8. So that's a LOT of ups! :D

If its not cleared, I'll make a diagram, someone else has a similar question as you, so it will be 2 for 1 diagram.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Has anyone had an email regarding the discount? I.e. I presume with the download price being £24.99 that the discount is £10, bringing the end price down to £14.99. I think I saw somewhere that it'll be a unique code you enter on checkout.

Ah silly me, just found the last email.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2012
  5. GoodBytes

Ah they extended the offer to 28 February 2013, instead of Jan 31st. Cool.

6. GoodBytes

Hulu Plus App for Windows 8, like Netflix is available.
    Hulu is a TV show streaming service available only in the US.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Now, 2 analysts predicions (dont over-react):
    PS:
    Source?

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Ah the analysts... "Windows 8 won't make a splash until 2016" - sure, yeah, right. XP support will end in April 2014, so XP is gone from their computers and they need a new OS. MS will probably stop selling Windows 7 at the end of next year as well, so when business will finally start look around in January-February 2014 (because that is when the boss will finally read the year old mail from IT), they will have no other option but Windows 8. Sure, 2016.

Analyst is an insult, not a job description.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Could be worse. Imagine a politic-analyst.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Microsoft sold windows xp to businesses up to 2010 faug. So i dout they will stop selling windows 7 in a years time, considering its supported to 2020.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I quoted from the email I got from Microsoft which details the offer dates, so I'd guess the source is Microsoft or the peeps sending out the emails on their behalf, at least.

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

13. GoodBytes

14. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Given the length of time xp has been on the go. The sheer number of years windows 7 will be supported and the simple thing that businesses are really slow to upgrade. Windows 8 can be a purely consumer-centric O/S and not actually upset business. Your company buys a windows 8 laptop for you chances are the IT team will deploy the image of the standard company O/S xp or windows 7.

16. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

just had my MSDN subscription renewed so i'm in the process of upgrading my home server to Server 2012 (really liking it so far)

and my desktops to Windows 8 (have been running the trail for a while anyway.

from what i can tell it is more lightweight than 7 (although it is hard to tell on an i7) but i really do enjoy using the 'metro' interface (especially without the keyboard)

was going to pluck for a WinRT version of the surface but will wait for Jan for the pro

8 (if not mocked for being microsoft) should go down really well with consumers.

17. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

I don't think I'll updgrade to this. Don't like the new desktop.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

If thinking on an Asus VivoTab RT, wait:

19. happyhammer7

happyhammer7 What's a Dremel?

I am running a full version of Windows 8 at the moment. Got a question. I have just purchased Xbox Music Premium for £8.99 per month, yet all the ads are still being displayed. Not happy. Can anyone explain this?

20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm finishing my rebuild tomorrow, and will be reinstalling Windows. I have a copy of 7 already, but I'm thinking about giving 8 a try.

I have an old XP License I was thinking of using to upgrade, how do I go about doing that?