1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Xonar Essence STX drivers for Windows Server 2012

Discussion in 'Software' started by sheninat0r, 25 Oct 2012.

1. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

So, as a broke-ass college student I use Windows Server editions from Microsoft's DreamSpark program. I just finished installing WS2012, but now my sound card drivers won't install, saying the platform isn't supported.

The sound card is an Asus Xonar Essence STX. Asus has Windows 8 x64 drivers on their website that I'm trying to use, but the setup program gives an error when I try to run it, which simply says "Don't support this platform". Any ideas on how I can get this to work?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The problem is simple. The Setup does an OS check. When it asks Windows the version it is, there is no "Windows 8" or "Windows 7" in "Windows Sever 2012". So it tell you its not supported.

The trick is to make Windows report the wrong OS to the setup. How you do that. Really simple!
    Right-click on the setup, select "Properties", and go under the "compatibility" tab. Now from the drop down box, pick the version of Windows, for the drivers you downloaded.
    So if you downloaded Windows 7, you pick in the drop down box: Windows 7. Hit the OK button, and give the setup another try. Enjoy!

sheninat0r likes this.
  3. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Ah, that makes a lot of sense.

I actually solved it by simply using Device Manager to install the driver files themselves, but all the management software that comes with it doesn't work; however, for my purposes, that's all I need. Thanks for the help!

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Or that. :)

I am sure if you do what I said for the management software (on the executable files) they will also work. :)