1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Windows 8: Performance Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Oct 2012.

1. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Like it or not the vast majority of users will be using Win8 12 months from now.
    Either through upgrade incentives, OEM bundle deals or the desire to have the current skill set exposure to the new OS (a trait of most IT guys I know)
    Im a big Microsoft supported - they've kept me in business since the early 90s, however I wasnt a big fan of the new OS particularly in its beta form, however I know I'll be using it before long, at least at home and for games - especially when Nvidia release improved drivers.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Could we get some benchmarks on the new AMD CPU's? Apparently 8 is supposed to make much better use of them.

3. Panos

Panos Minimodder

I don't see the point to change from W7.

Pass already. Especially all issues with hardware devices issues, and custom software the testbed machine here at work has.

I will point to the fact that in many big companies VB6 in house apps are still used. And they don't work on W8.
    W7 is the new XP.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Microsoft had an problem. It was losing the touch-enabled devices war to Android and Apple, they needed a touch UI to compete. So they are just using their traditional computing devices dominance to force every one to learn this new UI, offering no official alternative, in the hopes that people will get touch-enabed devices with Microsoft Windows in it, either WP8, WRT or W8.

5. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Yes we could do with some bulldozer benchmarks in windows 8.

I'm having no problems at the minute except I have installed the 32-bit version. So i'm only reading 3.47GB of memory not 8GB. I want to make windows 8 my primary operating system for doing everything basically and move windows 7 to my AMD pc.

6. derviansoul

derviansoul What's a Dremel?

Can you please post boot times comparison, more application loading times, like office, 3d max or other autodesk apps, some heavy applications. OS Memory consumption after long periods of time etc.
    It seems to me that while the UI will be annoying for pcs with just mouse keyboard setup. I cant stop to think that the games performance will be mainly due to GPU drivers.

7. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I can't get my head around not having the start button and program menu at the moment, the "Notro" interface is just too clunky on a desktop.

8. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Still think they should have done windows tablet and kept a more 7 like interface for desktops and non touchscreen laptops. Guessing a bit of the performance decrease is going to be down to less mature drivers, as shown in the AMD vs Nvidia example. Sticking with 7 myself. Maybe 9 will be good :D

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Shocked at some performance benchmarks, Multi Tasking and nvidia suffering in widows 8 is wierd. Considering Nvidia has had beta drivers for win 8 up since early Beta.

Multi Tasking is the shock 150 points down is a big drop for most to suffer, its like going from one cpu to another just cause you upgraded from windows 7.

Will we get a Retest of this OS once Service pack 1 is released to test performance vs windows 7 then?

I already have 1 pc on windows 8 to test and so far my list of none working applications is getting bigger hoping some updates can fix a few things.

Coral X4 ( Crashes as soon as you edit a photo )

Adobe CS6 ( Fails to load )

Sony Vegas ( Fails to edit video files )

Final Fantasy 7 remake needs a patch to function again, Sound is not working, Screen Rez not functioning

Crysis 2 is getting patched as i speak will test again did not work before. Game instantly Crashes to desktop.

Dunguen Defenders does not want to boot not sure why.

been the main ones that i have tried. I think its something to do with GPU Drivers as all of them gain performance from the GPU.

Intend to test this on a touch interface in the next few days to see if its more fluent to use. I also need to rework some of my own programs to function in windows 8 which i guess is recode time, Funny thing is they worked fine in the beta so the code must of changed since then.

The Metro UI is not the worst thing in the world but im hoping it functions better on a touch device than it currently does on my pc.

10. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

The not having a start button is a bit misleading actually. If you move your mouse to where the start button would be, it still operates like a start button would, opening the metro start menu. As for it being clunky, I use it pretty much exactly the same way I used the Windows 7 start menu tbh, opening it, typing the name of what I want to open and hitting enter.

It reminds me of the way gnome works tbh.

11. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

I'm puzzled by 2 issues, i have tried windows 8 and it boots no faster on my system using a vertex 4 and asus gene motherboard than windows 7, and looking around the internet no other site claims windows 7 benchmarks better than windows 8

12. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

I've been using one of the RC versions for a while under VMWare Player, but I think now it's been released, I'll be upgrading my laptop in the near future.

Despite the results in the article, my laptop only gets used for the internet and a little bit of work, so I don't need to worry about taking a performance hit.

Also, I vaguely remember reading that Microsoft have said that they want to drop the desktop system, so it's probably best to get used to Metro now, before it effectively becomes mandatory.

As for my gaming rig though? Windows 7 is here to stay. I have a fairly low spec gaming rig (i3 2100, 4gb RAM) as it is, so every FPS counts.

13. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Can't get used to he layout of things... and i don't find the shutdown button... lol...
    Honestly, I'll pass... and if the OS continues like this, I'll guess Win7 will become the new Windows XP to MS

14. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

When is SP1 set for release? :)

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Its there. On the right charms bar. Under settings.

16. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I've been using the release preview copy for some time now and have got used to it and find it easy enough to navigate round. For shutting down, I normally move the cursor to the bottom right corner to bring the side panel up, click settings and then power from there. Bit of a fiddle to start with, but now I'm used to it I've found myself trying to do it on other machines not on Windows 8.

The thing I dislike most though is if something (PDF, mailto link, picture, etc) opens in a native application, there doesn't seem to be any easy way of closing that program. Only way is to move cursor to the top left and click the desktop image that pops up?

One question though, what happens to the release preview copy I'm running at the moment? At what point will it break and tell me to upgrade?

17. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Guys, you have the best hardware - but not everyone has SSD's and since they are so fast anyway, surely there's going to be very little difference between 7 and 8 in benchmarks? Might be worth changing the test spec a little to better represent...

Or maybe I just have SSD envy

18. Deders

Deders Modder

Would be nice to know HDD boot times, also after a few programs are installed, I don't think many SSD users will be too concerned about boot time.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yup. Tablets do not exist and they are not the best selling computing device on the market. :rolleyes:

Last edited: 26 Oct 2012
  20. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

And was your test a scientific test? Did you compare two clean installs with the same 3rd party software and all settings matched? How did you time it? Was this a cold boot? A re-boot? Was this the release version of windows8? Every benchmark out there says win8 'can' boot faster than win 7.

And other sites to say (Just like bit-tech) that benchmark performance is very close to win7 with a few things faster and a few things slower. Of course it will vary across different hardware platforms and exact test conditions.

The take home lesson is windows 8 is unlikely to make your computer run faster than it would do on windows 8. You could be lucky and see an improvement but you could also be unlucky and see a performance drop. It all depends on your hardware, your drivers and what you're using it for.

Tags: Add Tags