1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you be interested in : 50p for 1TB Per Month Web hosting

Discussion in 'Serious' started by happysack, 25 Sep 2012.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Its gone passed torrents and p2p

Distro Servers are now the new P2P.

having used several webhosts offering 1tb + bandwidth they very rarely deliver as they run into usage issues or try and shut you down for hosting software and files that you own.

I had my linux distro shutdown pretty fast despite it been legal.

Id be intrested as would another person who owns websites but we would need legal and T&C before any offer would come.

We would also need to know payment terms.

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Can I ask what experience you have in running webhosting and/or a small business?
    Until ~ 12 months ago I was a partner in a small webhosting company - we had similar aims to yourselves (small & good customer service) - on the whole we met those aims. We also offered reasonably priced hosting although nothing in the realms of what you're offering.

I'm assuming you're reselling and you don't own the kit (purely based on the cost of packages and the setup/features you mention). It's a good way to start BUT you're 100% reliant on the provider and they WILL shutdown sites if they "abuse" the system. (i.e their usage affects other people).
    By offering 1tb+ packages you're pretty much asking people to "abuse" the storage on offer. Most people will be hard pushed to fill 1tb with files directly associated with their website (which from your above posts is what you're expecting??) i.e no NAS backups/"cloud storage" allowed.

Personally I'd suggest going less for the "ZOMG you have 10tb for 2 quid" line as that will (no doubt) lead to sites being shut down by your provider.
    If you own your own kit then fair enough do whatever you want (within limits of the law).

Depending on the answer to the experience question above, I'd suggest learning about PHP/web technologies to ensure you can answer your customers in a competent manner rather than having to rely on Google or your hosting provider.

<edit>
    Also, consider your up-front/costs into the price of the packages - although you may attract a few customers with cheap prices you'll probably need a lot more customers to cover costs.

FWIW, our "unlimited" package was ~ 35GBP a year - I don't believe anyone ever used more than ~ 5gb on that package.

</edit>

Last edited: 1 Oct 2012
  3. rollo

rollo Modder

Unless your hosting large files its difficult to ever use up your bandwidth.

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

If the hosting's everything you say it is then I can't afford not to have an account or two, even if I just use them for prototyping new site ideas.

5. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I'd be interested to house modified/home grown *nix Distro's (Yes, actual distro's, no *wink wink* distro's).

However, a number of people (Thousands, possibly more if it becomes popular) of people would want to access/download it. Given that it's legal, would I suddenly find myself booted out in the cold if a number of people hit it when a new version was released? I've been there before, and have no intention of going there again.

Assuming that would be fine, and there are no "we own your soul" clauses in your Legal/T&C's, then I'd be up for a bit of that at those prices.

6. happysack

happysack goodateverthinger

right so

want to check it out.....? :p

£1 for 1TB space and unlimited bandwidth?

7. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Amazon S3 is expensive, yes, but there's no way you can undercut them by a factor of 100.

8. happysack

9. happysack

What do you think everyone?

10. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

So looking at this I notice a few things. Firstly your domain name is registered to a non-trading individual. This is against the terms of registration with Nominet so you need to change this. Secondly it appears you neglected to inform anyone that you are in-fact a Heart Internet reseller and not the owner of your own web hosting company. That's a bit naughty. Oh and be prepared for your entire reseller account being disabled quite often as you WILL attract the wrong sort of websites and you will go over the limits imposed by Heart Internet. I know this because I worked for them in the past.

Oh and and nice review of your own services by yourself on the website. Jees you have a lot to learn..

11. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Oh that is naughty, some nice whoising there :)

http://www.whois.com/whois/largehosts.co.uk

You need to get your non-trading status sorted asap, I would imagine that is illegal (saying you aren't trading when you in fact are), or at least bad for business :) Imagine buying something from someone who doesn't disclose their address to a registrar - nor do you have it on the website, or a telephone number...

12. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

13. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Went to register, Terms and Conditions link on checkout page threw up a 404.

I'd really love to give it a try but it seems there are a few things you need to patch up to put my mind at ease first.

14. happysack

Didnt mean to leave that there! was templating it!

I need to get nominet changed it seems will work on that straight away.

I think you have a great point about advising that I am heart reseller and that should be advertised on the site. Really appreciate your input! dont think i realise what i am trying to do quite yet!

15. happysack

16. happysack

Termsn & Conditions Link here should point to http://largehosts.co.uk/privacy.htm
    Which is working.
    Could you let me know what url you were on when the Error 404 was produced.
    I can't reproduce it at the moment.

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

18. happysack

in the footer?

I have amended it to correct html/htm by duplicating it. just incase it was wrong elsewhere..

Btw - really appriciate your input

19. happysack

Any other recommendations?

20. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

100TB of disc space and unlimited bandwidth and you can deliver that for £2 a month?

And yet you can't keep your own website online, or provide a friendly error!

If you believe you can offer this as a competent service then you're business skills and technical knowledge are both compromised (Putting it lightly) and people should avoid your business. If you know you can't deliver then you're a crook, and people should avoid your business. I really don't know which is the more likely - your website is sending out both signals!

Like many here I've been involved in professional, mission critical hosting where uptime guarantees and SLA terms are not something you tack on at the last minute. Reliability, capacity, service and communication is everything - you're just price price price!

Charging such a laughably pitiful amount for such a ridiculously over-specified package screams one thing at me.

1. "We don't know what we're doing!"

And having the site riddles with errors and crashes just screams...

2. "We REALLY don't know what we're doing!"

At the moment your site appears to be a scam set up to defraud people or mine their payment details, but I doubt that's what you're trying to do.

If you're serious about setting up a hosting business then you really need to take a step back and look at what you're doing, how you're delivering it and what you'll do when things go wrong (As things will go wrong!). You need to improve the site, put more emphasis into support and telling people what you do and how you deliver it. Your answers here on BT were from vague city.

I'm not going to say good luck as I feel that in it's current form largehosts needs to stop trading until it has pulled it's socks up!